Seachem Red Flourite and HC?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 05-06-2013, 03:24 AM   #1
snakeskin
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Seachem Red Flourite and HC?

I am really excited bc I have some HC on the way and I want to make sure everything is right. I have been doing some reading and it seems as though HC needs lighter finer gravel with lots of nutrients to grow well.

I currently have seachem red flourite gravel (at least I think thats what it is, I bought the gravel many years ago) and I am wondering whether this will not be too course?

How deep should my gravel be for HC? Should I add some clay or soil with the gravel?
snakeskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2013, 03:36 AM   #2
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

I grew a good carpet of hc with fluorite, however it does take the roots longer to anchor in the substrate than say sand. If you are starting it dry then you will be ok but in an already established tank it's a PITA !
I also found when it comes to trimming it can be a little frustrating due to the lumpy substrate .

“Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.” -Gary Linekar

"Some people are on the pitch! They think it's all over! It is now, it's four!" -Kenneth Wolstenholme
stevenjohn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:42 AM   #3
snakeskin
Planted Tank Obsessed

Where I am planning on planting the HC the fluorite is pretty shallow, I could easily add some sand to the area right on top of the fluorite... could that be an easy fix?
Old 05-06-2013, 04:12 AM   #4
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

I had great result with Flourite Black and HC Cuba. I think the bigger grain size of Flourite Red might pose some problems getting it to properly root, but it can be done.
FlyingHellFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:38 AM   #5
snakeskin
Planted Tank Obsessed

I think I will pick up some smaller grained gravel tomorrow. I have been reading that it is better to grow HC in a biologically active medium that is also fortified with nutrients. As far as I know the fluorite is just inert gravel isn't it? Should I be adding anything?
Old 05-06-2013, 05:56 AM   #6
MMantelli
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeskin View Post
Where I am planning on planting the HC the fluorite is pretty shallow, I could easily add some sand to the area right on top of the fluorite... could that be an easy fix?
The flourite will eventually work its way up and the sand being so much finer will sink under the flourite. There is an eco complete black fine that works good .
MMantelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:38 PM   #7
snakeskin
Planted Tank Obsessed

I guess I will have to remove some gravel and get more sand than I had thought. I will check out the eco complete, thanks for the suggestion!
Old 05-11-2013, 02:31 AM   #8
MMantelli
Algae Grower

no problem i am also trying to carpet hc but in eco complete and every time i gravel vac no matter how gentle i am i either suck up a chunk or get a floater lol
MMantelli is offline   Reply With Quote