PM etiquette...... - Page 6
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 05-10-2013, 11:55 PM   #76
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyWithTheFish View Post
How about topic title etiquette? Don't use more than three periods, or one exclamation/question mark in row. I just don't understand why some people write like this????? OR ALL CAPS! Or weird, random fonts. Or random line
Breaks all the time.

Just a few pet peeves on forums.
You might want to save yourself some mental anguish and toss my name on your Iggy List.

I'm constantly using 3- "." or "!" or "?" and I love the Comic Sans MS font. I also like using the COLOR palate. I'm sure my inappropriate use of the " is most likely annoying too.

DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2013, 11:57 PM   #77
Zorfox
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
We need more technology, I.e. etiquette checker that auto inserts "Hi" at the txt start and "Thank you" at the end.
I'd buy that!
Zorfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:57 PM   #78
Asphalt Art
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:

A single button to move contact or sender to "block" is the next improvement.
It is only 4 at the moment. Some things are worth the extra work, although I tend not to block people because everyone has moments of enlightenment from time to time.
Asphalt Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:08 AM   #79
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Quote:
Pressing the wrong button on the phone is just too easy.

We need more technology, I.e. etiquette checker that auto inserts "Hi" at the txt start and "Thank you" at the end.

A single button to move contact or sender to "block" is the next improvement.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2
I absolutely hate the phone, to me it's an electronic ball and chain. I'm very close to buying John's phone http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John's_Phone

But, then I see some plants I .... NEED.... and I put off buying the low tech phone.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:28 AM   #80
GraphicGr8s
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
im 26, and SAD
my wife and i think, which im scared to do at this point. i feel like we are the last people in the world that actively engage our children and put the effort forth to raise them properly.
It's so bad that we don't have friends because no one in this area seems to enjoy hearing the truth, nor can they seem to stand that we live our lives by set rules and standards. We feel like black sheep, our kids get to watch tv if they are lucky, and play video games if they are luckier. video games get to happen about 2-3 nights a week. AFTER chores are done, After homework is done, and after they've had sufficient outside/ physical activity.
WHY are we the bad guys? i'll never understand i fear.
oh yeah, not to mention we actually feed them appropriate foods and shy away from sweets and deserts that everyone seems to relish and throw at them. DONUTS are not 6 and 4 year old breakfast foods. again, somehow this makes us bad people

sorry for the rant. back to PM courtesies
You are NOT alone.
My 4 year old gets things by behaving. Not as babysitting. We make him eggs for breakfast. Not donuts. And he goes out to the coop and gets the eggs. He eats tomatoes, cukes, string beans, etc. Candy is a treat not a meal.
As for tech. I am of the generation before the pc. My programming was a thing called Fortran and we rented time on a mainframe. So you can say that i was part of the generation that brought about this generation and helped "program" it
I too have many ways of access. Six, some times as many as eight computers running at one time. As connected as I can be I still refuse to get a smart phone and I leave my cell in the truck 98% of the time. There is just no one I really want to talk to 24/7. All that would do is take time away from son and me time. I get all the news I want. There was a time not long ago I was a political junkie. Truth is it's not worth the time away from interacting with real, living people.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
GraphicGr8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:32 AM   #81
ThatGuyWithTheFish
perugiae

PTrader: (23/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
im the random line break guy I'm sorry!
No you're not. There a few who do it every single post, every few words.

"Boulders-Upon-Meadow"

My Golden Rule of planted tanks: WWTAD-
"What would Takashi Amano do?"

RAOK Club #69
ThatGuyWithTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:37 AM   #82
CrypticLifeStyle
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjohn21 View Post
But yet you took the time to write the above :-)

I can see how it annoys people , it's a pet peeve after all.... Don't we all have one ?
Was merely curious what was being discussed lol. Mine would be people who sit around talking crap about others everyday. That sh*t drives me nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedge_fund View Post
It becomes an issue for me when I spend 45 minutes answering 5 PMs trying to help others....then not a single one will say "thanks". Do I sound like a cry baby? Perhaps. All I know is that if I didn't say "thank you" in my younger days my dad would smack the hell out of me. You learn quickly to be polite when someone does a nice thing for you.
Well you made a choice to answer those 5 PM's. You also had the choice not to answer 5 PM's. I'm all over different forums, and try to help loads, i rarely ever get a thank you, or any help when i ask for it, but you know, it is what it is. Whether its 2013 or 1913 i bet you'd still get the same ratio of who does, and does not reciprocate with the mannerism that means, or matters to you. Just dont let yourself get iffed by any of it. Make a mental note of who isnt, or dosnt seem thankful, and ignore them in the future.

I also wouldnt say you were being a crybaby, you vented, and we all vent.
On another note i havnt seen many guys wear their pants down below their ass much anymore, maybe society is improving haha
Old 05-11-2013, 01:04 AM   #83
Asphalt Art
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrypticLifeStyle View Post
On another note i havnt seen many guys wear their pants down below their ass much anymore, maybe society is improving haha
It is because several places actually made it a crime. Oh darn.
Asphalt Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:27 AM   #84
aquarium hippy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Default PM etiquette......

Oh no. Ha Im so glad that trend is fading.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 09-20-2013, 12:13 PM   #85
Seedreemer
Planted Tank Obsessed

I can generally tell if someone is going to be rude and entitled by the tone of their PM/subject line and just ignore them. Not that I get a lot of PMs.

I'm already a snarly old person at age 46. And I like it.

If I ever neglect to say thank you or let someone know their item arrived then I'm probably sitting in the ER with appendicitis or something. I think technology contributes, but we stopped sending gifts to our young relatives because we never got 'thank yous' and this was long before cels in every little paw. Funny how the gift stoppage suddenly got their attention though. My brother, who is 45, is incredibly rude and inconsiderate in this manner. Whether it's texts or phone calls, you rarely get a please or thank you. I don't bother with him but my mom keeps on trying.

Now, get off my lawn before I throw my shovel at you!

Last edited by Seedreemer; 09-20-2013 at 12:14 PM.. Reason: spelling
Seedreemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:39 PM   #86
gSTiTcH
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thread Rez! Huzzah!
RAOK Club #105

Pay It Forward, Further the Community!

It's CO2. See-Oh-Two. Not C02 (see-zero-two).
gSTiTcH is offline   Reply With Quote