How Much: Ferts and Co2???
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 05-10-2013, 06:09 PM   #1
Aulonocara_Freak
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

How Much: Ferts and Co2???

Well, I'm "experienced" in low tech but it's time I went finally switched to HIGH TECH! It's a 10g.

My Setup Will Be:
2.5lb pressurized Co2 system
Aquaclear HOB

Lighting:
2 x 26watt 6500k CFL's

Substrate:
FloraMax

Ferts:
KNO3
KH2PO4
Traces(CMS+B)

My questions are:
What BPS rate am I aiming for? Yes, I have a drop checker.
What type of fert dosing should I dose? I'm going to have HC, Jungle Val, Ricca, and lots of Hygro species.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnRon
Well if you're going to be a noob I guess you should go all out........
Aulonocara_Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2013, 07:41 PM   #2
AlanLe
Dude Where's Your CO2?

PTrader: (9/100%)
Default How Much: Ferts and Co2???

Play around with the bps until your drop checker displays a nice green color. You can follow Tom Barr's EI dosing or PPS Pro. You have to be willing to do some research (google) and spend some times to read.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:52 PM   #3
Aulonocara_Freak
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've searched the forum and googled around but I didn't find exactly what I wanted on dosing. The last time I did that I ended up dosing to much CSM+B and killed half my plants.

Quote:
Old 05-10-2013, 08:11 PM   #4
jfynyson
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Use this calculator http://calc.petalphile.com/

It's what most everyone uses on here. Once you figure what you want get back with a verification from everyone if you'd like prior to moving forward.

I noticed you didn't include the potassium sulfate (K2SO4). Typically when using the EI method you'll want equal parts K+ to NO3- (as their specific ions). I altered my EI dosing like everyone does their own little tweaks. I am running a true 1 part NO3- to 0.10 parts PO4 to 1 part K+ then the CSM+B is at the same dosing grams as the PO4.

Let me knowif you need help after studying this.
jfynyson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2013, 08:14 PM   #5
Aulonocara_Freak
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I noticed you didn't include the potassium sulfate (K2SO4). Typically when using the EI method you'll want equal parts K+ to NO3- (as their specific ions). I altered my EI dosing like everyone does their own little tweaks. I am running a true 1 part NO3- to 0.10 parts PO4 to 1 part K+ then the CSM+B is at the same dosing grams as the PO4.
English would be nice, lol.

Quote:
Old 05-10-2013, 09:13 PM   #6
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)

This is a good way to start fertilizing: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=21944 If you later want to modify the dosages you can do so.

The best way to use CO2 is to use the plants to tell you if you have the right bubble rate. Use a drop checker to get into the right general range of bubble rates - green drop checker - then slightly increase the bubble rate, and watch the plant's reaction for 2-3 days, to see if the plants do better, pearl more, grow faster, etc. If they do, slightly increase the bubble rate again and repeat, until the plants don't seem to do any better. Then back off to the last bubble rate where the plants did improve. That would be the optimum bubble rate for the plants. While doing this keep an eye on the fish to be sure they aren't in distress from the CO2 - clustering at the surface, usually in a corner, laying on the substrate, losing their colors, etc. If you see that behavior, drop back to the bubble rate where you didn't see it.

This works best if you make sure the water is well oxygenated, good water surface ripple over the whole tank, use a wet/dry filter, keep up with tank, filter, water cleanliness, etc.

It is extremely unlikely you did any harm to your plants with CSM+B. It would take a really massive overdose to do that.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:02 PM   #7
Aulonocara_Freak
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
This is a good way to start fertilizing: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=21944 If you later want to modify the dosages you can do so.

The best way to use CO2 is to use the plants to tell you if you have the right bubble rate. Use a drop checker to get into the right general range of bubble rates - green drop checker - then slightly increase the bubble rate, and watch the plant's reaction for 2-3 days, to see if the plants do better, pearl more, grow faster, etc. If they do, slightly increase the bubble rate again and repeat, until the plants don't seem to do any better. Then back off to the last bubble rate where the plants did improve. That would be the optimum bubble rate for the plants. While doing this keep an eye on the fish to be sure they aren't in distress from the CO2 - clustering at the surface, usually in a corner, laying on the substrate, losing their colors, etc. If you see that behavior, drop back to the bubble rate where you didn't see it.

This works best if you make sure the water is well oxygenated, good water surface ripple over the whole tank, use a wet/dry filter, keep up with tank, filter, water cleanliness, etc.

It is extremely unlikely you did any harm to your plants with CSM+B. It would take a really massive overdose to do that.
Thanks, The link helped alot and so did all of your information but the reason I think the CSM+B killed the plants is because when I started dosing less what was left of them started to grow again and much much healthier.

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.