Bamboo shrimp
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 05-10-2013, 03:24 PM   #1
OrangeAugust
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Bamboo shrimp

I'd love to get some bamboo shrimp for my 55 gallon tank. I saw them at Petco yesterday for $10 each. Is that a good price? Also, their tag said they do best in groups, but it seems like people just keep 1 or 2 at a time. I'd rather not have to pay $50 for 5 shrimp if I don't have to. Would they be ok if I just get 2?
Thanks!
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2013, 03:49 PM   #2
MABJ
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (14/100%)
Default Bamboo shrimp

Is your tank established? Do you have spots in the tank for them to perch in high flow water?

Do you know about invert care?
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:50 PM   #3
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MABJ View Post
Is your tank established? Do you have spots in the tank for them to perch in high flow water?

Do you know about invert care?
+1 ditto came to mind.

I've had 2 for nearly a year. They made their home in a crevice of my malaysian driftwood and come out daily to feed under the HOB return current.
They require an established tank and water flow as they are filter feeders.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:57 PM   #4
OrangeAugust
Algae Grower

My tank finished cycling about two months ago. I have tall plants they can get on, a piece of driftwood, and a good water circulation.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:17 PM   #5
oblongshrimp
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (119/100%)

Bamboo shrimp don't generally thrive in most aquariums as there isn't enough food for them (they are filter feeders). You would want to grow green water for them or feed them something like Mosura Shrimpton so they had enough food.
oblongshrimp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:19 PM   #6
Dfektor
Algae Grower

Id personally wait for bamboo shrimp as has already been said, they have a big appetite the feed of the build up in the substrate and filters and also they our quite sensitive to unstable water conditions but nice shrimp very active and full of character...I have 5 of them.

L144-L191-L203

Note to self: now its only temporary I don't need to do anything fancy......In fact I will not let this forum and all you lot with your lovely aqua-scapes, influence this tank as its only temporary accommodation!!
Dfektor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:54 PM   #7
MABJ
Invert Warrior

Default Bamboo shrimp

As your tank is extremely new, I would pass on bamboo shrimp.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:19 PM   #8
OrangeAugust
Algae Grower

Ok, thanks. How old should my tank be before I think about getting bamboo shrimp?
There's all kinds of stuff floating around in there, though, because it's soil-based and there's a lot of plant stuff, etc.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:52 PM   #9
MABJ
Invert Warrior

Default Bamboo shrimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAugust View Post
Ok, thanks. How old should my tank be before I think about getting bamboo shrimp?
There's all kinds of stuff floating around in there, though, because it's soil-based and there's a lot of plant stuff, etc.
There's no definitive guide, but it should certainly be aged, and you should know more about inverts first.

If you have aggressive fish, they'll die regardless to harassment.

If you've got a peaceful community, try cherry shrimp
Old 05-10-2013, 07:16 PM   #10
OrangeAugust
Algae Grower

Just wondering why I should know more about inverts before I get bamboo shrimp. I mean, how would it be different from learning the needs of specific kinds of fish? Are you talking about all inverts or just shrimp? Because I do well with snails. I don't mean pest snails. lol. I mean nerites. I always research things before I get them. I just wanted to know peoples' experience- if the shrimp would be ok if there was just one or two rather than a "group" of 5 or 6. I'll definitely wait a while, though, to get them until my tank is more established. The most aggressive fish I'm planning on having is a sorority of female bettas. I doubt they'd pick on a bamboo shrimp because they are generally a lot smaller than the bamboo shrimp.
All of my other fish that I have and am planning on getting are peaceful.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:48 PM   #11
Neptoon'd
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

I am a beginner with shrimp, and I wish I had known much much more before getting them. Have you ever tested your gh/kh and tds? If not, you need to. I thought shrimp would be very much like keeping fish. But it doesn't appear to be from my experience. So when other much more experienced members say to wait and learn more first, they do it for your and the shrimps own good. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Neptoon'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:56 PM   #12
devilduck
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

I'm going to disagree that you need to have a lot of experience with shrimp and I will disagree that you need a "group" of them. In my experience they don't care for each other's company as much as other dwarf shrimp.

I like bamboo shrimp a lot, they were my first shrimp. Petco's in my area have them for around $5.99, my lfs has them for $10.

You don't need an established tank if your willing to target feed them. You'll need good flow and a sturdy place for them to perch on and filter. Feeding them is a bit of a pain if you have tall tank. I target feed mine once or twice a week using a turkey baster and mixing a bit of fry food (Hikari First Bites) and cultured green water.

Just like any inverts your water should be on the harder side. Here in Chicago, we have liquid rock, my GH is almost off the chart of the test kit. My bamboo's molt twice a month and I've had them close to a year now.

I have some an aggressive large paradise fish and a mean male GBR in the tank. They pick on other fish that venture into their "turf", but they don't take any notice of the shrimp. I also have a medium and a small amano shrimp, but I never see them except if I creep up to the tank late at night. I see my bamboo's during all hours.

I think they are great and if your willing to put in a little extra effort to supplement their feeding then you should definitely give them a try.

Last edited by devilduck; 05-10-2013 at 10:07 PM.. Reason: specifics for getting a group
devilduck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:45 PM   #13
MABJ
Invert Warrior

Default Bamboo shrimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilduck View Post
I think they are great and if your willing to put in a little extra effort to supplement their feeding then you should definitely give them a try.
Well.. I disagree. You need knowledge of shrimp to ensure proper growth and health.

You need experience to know what and how to target feed, and the established tank only helps keep them fed if you fail to appease their appetites/mess up feeding.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:49 PM   #14
MABJ
Invert Warrior

Default Bamboo shrimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAugust View Post
Just wondering why I should know more about inverts before I get bamboo shrimp. I mean, how would it be different from learning the needs of specific kinds of fish? Are you talking about all inverts or just shrimp? Because I do well with snails. I don't mean pest snails. lol. I mean nerites. I always research things before I get them. I just wanted to know peoples' experience- if the shrimp would be ok if there was just one or two rather than a "group" of 5 or 6. I'll definitely wait a while, though, to get them until my tank is more established. The most aggressive fish I'm planning on having is a sorority of female bettas. I doubt they'd pick on a bamboo shrimp because they are generally a lot smaller than the bamboo shrimp.
All of my other fish that I have and am planning on getting are peaceful.
I mean do you know all your parameters? That's something shrimp are sensitive to.

You'll be surprised about bettas. They can be vicious, lethargic or playful.

You'll need to test it with ghost shrimp first IMO.

Definitely check all your parameters.

No, groups certainly aren't necessary. I've never thought that. I think two/three is a great number.

One way of looking at if you should purchase the pet store bamboo shrimp is if they are pecking at the ground. That means they're malnourished.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:56 AM   #15
OrangeAugust
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by MABJ View Post

You'll be surprised about bettas. They can be vicious, lethargic or playful.

You'll need to test it with ghost shrimp first IMO. .
I have 4 bettas and one of the males lived with a ghost shrimp for a few months with no problem. I know they are all different, though. The difference is that ghost shrimp are super tiny and easily edible for a betta. I doubt one would think that a shrimp twice its own size was edible. it seems to me that a shrimp of that size has as much of a chance of being picked on by a betta as any other fish in the tank.