40 breeder with not so pleasant surprise.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 04-28-2013, 07:09 AM   #1
Poetser
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

40 breeder with not so pleasant surprise.

I have been out of aquariums for the last 18 years, got the itch to get back in. So I have been working on restoring a 20g corner aquarium, the wife realized how much work I had put into it and how much more was required to finish it. So the wife authorized $200 for me to get a new aquarium, oh yeah.

So Petsmart has 40 breeders on sale $119, so I bought one. It comes with a glass hood and 36" light strip.

The not so pleasant surprise comes in the light strip its 36" long but the actual light is only 24".

Not positive but I believe this is not enough light even for a low tech dirt tank setup. What you guys think? If not would say 2 or 3 clamp lights with 23 watt compact fluorescents do the job?

Later,Poe.

Forgot to add it's a 17w t8 bulb.

Last edited by Poetser; 04-28-2013 at 08:38 AM.. Reason: Additional Info
Poetser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2013, 08:24 AM   #2
AW0L
Planted Tank Obsessed

Is it a duel light setup. The good thing about a 40g breeder is its one if the most forgiving tank tank foot print. Long wide and not so tall so its easier to light up. Can always add cheap lighting keep the higher demanding plants under the light. A 3 to 4 Inch substrate can help too. Or stick to attractive low tech plants. Crypts moss Anubis and Javas. U
Probably need a extra lighting there's a lot of cheaper alternatives
Old 04-28-2013, 08:37 AM   #3
Poetser
Algae Grower

It's a single tube.

I guess I'll use some clamp lights until I get the cash for something nice. I still have to get a bag of flourite and eco complete. Oh of course a whole bunch of plants!

I just would like to know how much more light I need? Anybody?

Thanks, Poe.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:43 AM   #4
Powchekny
Planted Tank Obsessed

For the most parts, those strip lights are designed to illuminate your plastic plants, skull cave, and glo-fish. Not grow plants. However, if money is tight, you can still grow java moss and Crypts under a light like that, and they will probably grow fine.

The amount of light you need really depends on what you want to grow. Make that decision first.
Powchekny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:38 AM   #5
Poetser
Algae Grower

Powchekny my goal for now is to setup a low tech tank, MGOCPM dirt bottom. I realize that I will be limited to hardier plants. I just don't want to add to much light to where I have to use CO2 to keep algae in check. At the same time I'm pretty sure that one bulb is not enough.

I just went through the thread about PAR.

If I understand I need another of the same strip to cover from front to back to get 38 par at the substrate surface.

Also if I understood correct this is at the upper limit of low light, so no CO2 required, a Low Tech Tank. I think I answered my question?

Still if anybody has had success with a dirt bottom 40g breeder tank I'm interested in what you used to light it.

Poe.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:18 PM   #6
Shawn123
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Too bad you just missed petcos dollar per gallon. Could have got the tank for $40 and chose your light and accessories with the extra cash.
My 40 b is in the process of being set up. I went with a 36" finnex fugeray. I hope it is not too much light. I will be dosing excel, so that will help keep algae in check, and I will raise the light if it is a problem.
Shawn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:52 PM   #7
hobos
Algae Grower

You should not have a problem growing plants with 23-watt compact fluorescents especially since you have MGOCPM. I have the same setup MGOCPM and the plants grow like the weeds they are, nice and green thick stems lots of pruning. Add some red terracotta clay in small pieces to the bottom of the tank for the iron then put the mix on top.
some co2 will help also DIY or Pressurized
hobos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:00 PM   #8
AW0L
Planted Tank Obsessed

See if the lamp u got is full spectrum. If not u could switch it out. Cheap add on would be a duel incan light and just put 2 full spectrum cfl's in there.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:27 AM   #9
Poetser
Algae Grower

AWOL the lamp is full spectrum, that's one thing it had going for it. I had the same idea about the incandescent light strip in the back of my mind. Now watch all of the cheap 10 gallons with incandescent light strips disappear from craigs list!

Shawn123 I realized I had just missed the sale. I'm really not bummed to bad because the tank itself is nice, I'm leak testing it right now, crossing fingers. And the glass top is really nice quality. It's just the Aqueon light strip cheap.

Hobos I forgot to mention that I also picked up a Aqua Clear 70 and a 20lb bag of flourite. I was going to mix some of it in the potting mix and the rest with a bag of eco complete and gravel. I was under the impression that this works like clay. Am I wrong!

I've seen a couple of youtube videos where they did use clay. Where do you purchase clay like that raw? I work at Lowes and I'm pretty sure we don't carry it.

Thanks for any help you guys give.

Later, POE.

Last edited by Poetser; 04-29-2013 at 10:27 AM.. Reason: Puncuation
Old 04-29-2013, 11:23 AM   #10
Shawn123
Planted Member

I'm pretty sure fluorite is just non-wet eco complete. It requires a lot if rinsing from what I have read. I believe eco complete and fluorite work just like clay at storing nutrients.

For just raw clay, I think people use clay kitty litter, or the absorbent to clean up oil spills from a garage floor.
Shawn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:37 AM   #11
mach_six
Planted Tank Enthusiast

A cheap alternative to flourite is Safe T Sorb.

If you have a Tractor Supply or Grainger, check them out. The online place, Drillspot had free shipping and now charges $30 to ship it...
mach_six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:07 PM   #12
Poetser
Algae Grower

I forgot about reading about unscented clay kitty litter. I'll use that mixed in the potting mix. I also got a plus in that I'm pretty sure are water is high in iron also.

Mach six thanks about the suggestion about saf t sorb. I do have a Grainger near by. I considered it but veto it because it strips one of the hardness from water(I think carbonated if I read correct).

Eco Complete and Fluorite I've read both have high cec properties. Fluorite is some type of baked clay, I now remember that it's inert (guess baking ties up the minerals like iron). I read somewhere that Eco Complete is crushed up lava rock. Doesn't matter anyways the point is they both have high cec value.

Eco Complete from what I understand use to be dry, which pretty much made it the same as fluorite. The wet(newer) stuff has all the minerals and nutrients in it. Sort of like soil but it will be used up a whole lot quicker.

I will use a bag of Eco Complete for 2 reasons. 1st as a booster until the soil starts to decompose. And 2nd from a total lack of pet shops in the Charleston, WV area the Nitro store is the best. He swears by it, so to support him, I'll pick a bag up.

So I'll mix litter in with the potting mix and cap with a mixture of fluorite, eco complete and gravel.

Later, Poe.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:30 PM   #13
Silky
Algae Grower

I have kitty litter in a few of my tanks. Topped with sand, grows plants like crazy. Every tank I've set up with litter goes through a green water phase, but after a month or two everything settles and plants start growing like weeds. When I've cleaned them out, I've been amazed at the root systems in the kitty litter tanks.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:39 PM   #14
Amy9
Algae Grower

Send a message via Yahoo to Amy9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetser View Post
Powchekny my goal for now is to setup a low tech tank, MGOCPM dirt bottom. I realize that I will be limited to hardier plants. I just don't want to add to much light to where I have to use CO2 to keep algae in check. At the same time I'm pretty sure that one bulb is not enough.

I just went through the thread about PAR.

If I understand I need another of the same strip to cover from front to back to get 38 par at the substrate surface.

Also if I understood correct this is at the upper limit of low light, so no CO2 required, a Low Tech Tank. I think I answered my question?

Still if anybody has had success with a dirt bottom 40g breeder tank I'm interested in what you used to light it.

Poe.
I've had a 40b dirt tank for about 8 months and it's doing well. I have the same light as Shawn, 36" FugeRay, and I'm very happy with it. I used MGOPM with eco complete cap. I love this tank even though it has no scaping plan at all, I just planted stuff everywhere lol. Good luck with your build!
Oh! No Co2 but I do dose dry ferts.

Last edited by Amy9; 05-10-2013 at 06:41 PM.. Reason: add info
Amy9 is offline   Reply With Quote