Can I keep cardinal shrimp in my water? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 05-10-2013, 03:18 PM   #16
Lexinverts
Maestro of Invertology

PTrader: (39/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblongshrimp View Post
The 7.5 is much easier to mix the the 8.5 which is harder to get to dissolve properly. The 8.5 was designed for the harder to breed Sulawesi shrimp and the cardinals do well in both the 7.5 and 8.5.
I haven't found the 7.5 to be that much easier to dissolve. I always have undissolved mix left in the bucket.

I use 8.5 because I want to be ready for other species if they become available.

In order to get 8.5 to dissolve for me, I use 3 scoops per 5 gallon bucket of ro water. I heat each scoop of mix in a small amount of ro water in the microwave to a boil, and then add to my 5 gallon bucket of ro water. I age and aerate the water for 2 days and heat it to tank temperature. This brings my params where they need to be.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=338362

Last edited by Lexinverts; 05-10-2013 at 03:21 PM.. Reason: typo
Lexinverts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2013, 05:18 PM   #17
Destroyer551
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/88%)

Sounds simple enough.

What do you do with the undissolved pieces, btw?
Destroyer551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:04 PM   #18
Lexinverts
Maestro of Invertology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyer551 View Post
Sounds simple enough.

What do you do with the undissolved pieces, btw?
They stay in the 5 gallon bucket. I always use the same one for my Sulawesi water.

Old 05-11-2013, 12:40 AM   #19
Destroyer551
Planted Member

Quick Q -

Should I buy some Salty Shrimp now, and treat my tank water with it as soon as possible, to allow the tank to cycle with Sulawesi parameters? Or will it not matter? I'm still 5-6 weeks away from cardinals.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:06 AM   #20
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)

Doesn't matter, I think the pH being 8 is all that matters make it warm though so e bacteria will be used to the pH and heat.
mordalphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:43 PM   #21
Destroyer551
Planted Member

Ok, I got my kh and gh kit today and did a retest on water straight from the tap:

Ph- 8.3
TDS-141
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-0
Gh-8
kh-6

As far as I know, these are all good parameters for cardinal shrimp, correct? I suppose I'd rather save the 30$ for 3 more cardinal shrimp instead of buying Salty Shrimp.

Opinions? Stick with tap, or rather than risk it, go with Salty Shrimp?
Old 05-16-2013, 04:46 PM   #22
DarkWater Aquatics
Shrimp Tamer

PTrader: (4/83%)

Thank you for this thread! I've been wanting to try cardinals myself but have always been wary of the params.
DarkWater Aquatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:50 PM   #23
Destroyer551
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWater Aquatics View Post
Thank you for this thread! I've been wanting to try cardinals myself but have always been wary of the params.
Not a problem, It's good info for newcomers to cardinals/sulawesi shrimp. Even though they've been around for 5 or so years, there's seems to be only a handfull of people who are vocal about how they keep them.

I see you are from Orlando as well.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:59 PM   #24
DarkWater Aquatics
Shrimp Tamer

PTrader: (4/83%)

Yep, smack dab in the middle of O Town. If you are available this Saturday, I'm having a get-together for the local aquarium geeks. I'd love to meet you and talk shrimp
DarkWater Aquatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:18 PM   #25
Lexinverts
Maestro of Invertology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyer551 View Post
Ok, I got my kh and gh kit today and did a retest on water straight from the tap:

Ph- 8.3
TDS-141
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-0
Gh-8
kh-6

As far as I know, these are all good parameters for cardinal shrimp, correct? I suppose I'd rather save the 30$ for 3 more cardinal shrimp instead of buying Salty Shrimp.

Opinions? Stick with tap, or rather than risk it, go with Salty Shrimp?
Those parameters do seem just about perfect for Cardinals.
Even so, you are still more likely to have success using the Salty Shrimp product with RO water. There are sometimes trace contaminants in municipal water supplies that sensitive shrimp like Cardinals don't like. If I were you, I would set up a tank with Salty Shrimp and then wait until I had success under those conditions to try some in my tap water. This is the safest way to proceed. If you don't mind risking your initial investment in Cardinals, then go for it with your tapwater.

Old 05-16-2013, 05:27 PM   #26
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

Yeah that tap water is pretty good. I suggest getting some from a breeder instead of from a store or importer though. Imported cardinals are very poor health and not hardy at all. I have had enough issues shipping captive bred cardinals, when I've ordered wild ones, they almost always come in 100% dead.

Mine aren't quite as hardy as cherries, but they're getting close, haha, I put them through some pretty awful things, but as long as the temperature doesn't dip too low they've survived
Old 05-16-2013, 05:34 PM   #27
Lexinverts
Maestro of Invertology

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordalphus View Post
Mine aren't quite as hardy as cherries, but they're getting close, haha, I put them through some pretty awful things, but as long as the temperature doesn't dip too low they've survived
You haven't tried them in that nasty Seattle tapwater, have you?

Old 05-16-2013, 05:36 PM   #28
Destroyer551
Planted Member

Thanks for the input guys! Still 50/50 on tap vs salty shrimp, but I guess I'll see where things go in the next couple weeks. I'm pretty low on funds, but maybe that gives me a pretty good reason on why NOT to risk 100$ worth of sensitive shrimp with tap water. Lex brought up a good point about tapwater though, even with somewhat low TDS there's no telling what's really in there.

Mord - Yeah, I certainly don't plan on importing any, I've read a bunch of horror stories already about imported sulawesi shrimp. I suppose I have a few options as far as CB cardinals. (Mord, Lex, and a seller or two from aquabid)
Old 05-16-2013, 06:44 PM   #29
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexinverts View Post
You haven't tried them in that nasty Seattle tapwater, have you?
I couldnt do that, my tap water is 0 gh 0 kh, 6.5 pH, tds 25,

But I have let their aquarium evaporate down to half full and then topped off in a matter of hours. Yikes! No deaths though.

Their aquarium is farthest away from my water source, and hottest, so it evap fast. I SHOULD top off every day, but it ends up being every week or sometimes every other week.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:00 PM   #30
Destroyer551
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordalphus View Post
I couldnt do that, my tap water is 0 gh 0 kh, 6.5 pH, tds 25,

But I have let their aquarium evaporate down to half full and then topped off in a matter of hours. Yikes! No deaths though.

Their aquarium is farthest away from my water source, and hottest, so it evap fast. I SHOULD top off every day, but it ends up being every week or sometimes every other week.
You seriously seem to be the only person who can raise these guys in relatively poor conditions, lol. You might as well be raising up a new strain of super hardy cardinals.

Do you mind testing your water for the latest params?

If anything, I'm more worried about getting shrimp from you and having them die off because I'm keeping them TOO well, haha!