Where to get cool driftwood - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 05-10-2013, 05:57 PM   #16
Iliketurtles
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thanks, that is a great idea. I am looking at tropica now. When I filter for easy, can I assume that the plants they list in the easy setups will work in a low light no co2 tank?
Iliketurtles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2013, 06:07 PM   #17
shawnleon
Algae Grower

Default Where to get cool driftwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorfox View Post
I collect all mine in the local rivers and beaches. We went to Big talbot state park this weekend (no collecting allowed) and the amount and quality was unreal.

This one looks like some king of demon lol

Hey up there in Jax! As soon as I read Talbot island, I knew you were in my hometown. That's some great wood you photographed.
shawnleon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2013, 07:00 PM   #18
Aquarist_Fist
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

I got some very nice curly willow for a few bucks at a local flower shop (make sure you get the dried stuff, of course). Could've picked it, but I saw it on my way from lunch back to the office.
Pimp Club Member #313

Originally Posted by macclellan
my personal favorite is Random Capitalization. It is so Very fun and Surprising.
Aquarist_Fist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2013, 01:30 AM   #19
flight50
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Hey Aquarist Fist how far are you from the ocean. I have been getting some nice pieces from a lady up there from Brookings that sells on no ebay links allowed Last winter didn't bring the best selection but she states that normally there are some real good finds. The coloration and the way the water wears down the wood up there fascinates me. I typically keep an eye out for all the pieces she finds.
Eheim Pimp #509
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER#31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds - DIY Quad Stands

Tanks - low tech 29g
flight50 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013, 09:35 PM   #20
Iliketurtles
Algae Grower

Just wondering how big I should go for a piece of driftwood in a 40 gallon breeder? I found a piece that I thought was kind of cool at a LFS but it is 19" long, and about 16" high. Tank dimensions are 36x18x16. Would that be too large and dominant? If so what size range should I be looking at?
Iliketurtles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013, 09:53 PM   #21
Soup12
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (66/97%)

go to your local stream/lake/river...

or get pricy malaysian/manzanita
Soup12 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2013, 05:16 PM   #22
PC1
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (130/98%)

www.manzanita-driftwood.com
PC1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2013, 06:26 PM   #23
SmittyInFla
Algae Grower

I started a thread, but got no replies, so I will ask here:

I got a very nice piece of driftwood at a local garden center...However, it has some very old barnacles on it. I am told it has been sitting out, getting watered and rained on for four YEARS. How can I test it, to see if it is salty? If it IS salty, how bad would that be for a 30 gallon tank? I am going very slow, using Eco Complete Substrate...But don't want to damage the substrate. Does salt do that?

HALP??!
SmittyInFla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2013, 07:04 PM   #24
Zorfox
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Yes, salt is bad for planted tanks. Most people clean it then boil it for a couple of hours. In your case I would do that and let it sit in a container of water for a week or longer, changing the water everyday. Then reboil it and rinse. I've done this with DW found on beaches and had no problems.
Zorfox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2013, 07:22 PM   #25
SmittyInFla
Algae Grower

Thanks, Zorfox. Going to need a BIG stock pot, for this!
Old 05-25-2013, 08:10 PM   #26
JoeandCarrie
Algae Grower

I am about to "clean" a bunch of drift wood/dead wood that we collected this week. It is quite large though as well.

I plan to use a 50 gallon rubbermaid bin. You can pour boiling water from a stockpot into it and just keep filling until its full.
Another option is a large cooler, it would retain the heat better and you could close the lid to let it "cook" for a bit and just repeat until you are confident.
I figure mine will take 2-3 days of 1-2 fills to get the wood good and clean, but mine was collected around 7500' elevation. hoping that it has no termites... left it in sealed bags till I get home to start the boiling.

Good luck, hope that helps a little.
JoeandCarrie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2013, 06:55 PM   #27
SmittyInFla
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeandCarrie View Post
I am about to "clean" a bunch of drift wood/dead wood that we collected this week. It is quite large though as well.

I plan to use a 50 gallon rubbermaid bin. You can pour boiling water from a stockpot into it and just keep filling until its full.
Another option is a large cooler, it would retain the heat better and you could close the lid to let it "cook" for a bit and just repeat until you are confident.
I figure mine will take 2-3 days of 1-2 fills to get the wood good and clean, but mine was collected around 7500' elevation. hoping that it has no termites... left it in sealed bags till I get home to start the boiling.

Good luck, hope that helps a little.
After reading this post, it occurred to me that we are in need of a new outside garbage bin...So I made a deal: I go get us one, and have use of it for a week or two before we use it for garbage. I have a hot water tap in the garage, so there we go!

Thanks, this was the advice I needed!
Old 05-26-2013, 07:51 PM   #28
JoeandCarrie
Algae Grower

good to hear. Should post some pics of the wood, I wont get home till Tuesday, but I will grab some shots of the boiling/soaking process in bins/coolers too. The giant trash can sounds good to. I could use one myself for the garage...might have stronger handles too...
JoeandCarrie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.