New to forum and to planted tanks
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 05-10-2013, 04:58 PM   #1
JEFF9922
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

New to forum and to planted tanks

Hi there all I am new to planted tanks have had fish before,I am wanting to do somthing simple but nice and i am not sure what substrate to use ,I have been looking into using eco complete but have seen many other options I am not sure what to use. I have seen on some videos of setups that they sprinkle stuff down then put soil down i will attach a few photos of what I am wanting to do and any help would be great. I would love to find a step by step of how to set up a tank ,I am wanting to do a full carpet buttom with a slop and some rocks with a few tall plants

Last edited by JEFF9922; 03-26-2014 at 02:19 PM..
JEFF9922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2013, 10:07 PM   #2
atomb
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

wow i was going to say .. for a newbie thats insanely awesome ....

But i see thats the goal.

Im a newbie as well and just wanted say hi..
Hopefully someone that knows something will give you a hand.

Good luck with it
atomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:02 AM   #3
thegasman
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I use Eco complete and it works well for me. ADA Aquasoil is better, but it can be a bit messy when you need to up root stem plants. The stuff you've seen being sprinkled down before adding the substrate is the ADA substrate system. Many feel that it's worthless to do this, but some don't.
thegasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:42 AM   #4
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Welcome!
I suggest you visit our Substrate Sub-Forum; http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29

After you understand the different options you'll want to learn the needs of the plants you like. The most challenging pc. of your plant puzzle will be the carpet panting. So focus on that. The taller plants will be less of a challenge. Some carpet plants are lower light some higher. That is the point were you need to decided what you want to live with as daily/weekly/monthly as far as tank maintenance.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:58 PM   #5
JEFF9922
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Wen doing the carpet do I just put a few in and then they fill in the rest by growing or do I have to fill the hole button in my self and what plant makes a good grass looking carpet
JEFF9922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:29 PM   #6
Zorfox
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

For a carpet, buy as much as you can afford for quicker results. Break it up into smaller pieces and evenly scatter the plants in the area to carpet. The more you have initially the faster it'll become a dense carpet.

If you're looking for a "grass" carpet effect use dwarf hair grass. All the others make nice carpets but don't look like grass.
Zorfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:31 PM   #7
melanotaenia
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

Check out the greenmachine (UK) youtube channel they have a bunch of step by step videos on setting up different scapes. You can also check out the tropica channel, they also have some great videos on aquascaping and step by step videos.

It can be frustrating when you see an awesome "grown in" scape but can never find any pics of the rock placement or the step by step guide to the layout, although I do understand some are trying to keep their methods more secretive.
melanotaenia is offline   Reply With Quote