Flatworm?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 05-10-2013, 05:06 AM   #1
NatMat283
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Flatworm?

Would this be a flatworm? So far i have only found 2 to pluck out of my tank but wonder if there could be more lurking in the substrate. Are they pretty harmless? How can they be killed if there are too many?

Fixed the link!!!! Finally. The video gets a bit clearer about half way through I think.

Last edited by NatMat283; 05-10-2013 at 06:00 AM.. Reason: cant get video embedded
NatMat283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2013, 06:38 AM   #2
ckraft
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I don't think it's a flatworm, it looks and moves like a leach. I had some at one time, they went away, as do most of the odd things I find. Probably a good idea to get rid of them, I don't have any suggested methods though.
ckraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:34 AM   #3
dprais1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

looks like leech to me
dprais1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:05 PM   #4
elegysanft
Algae Grower

Definitely a leech, I've had them before in my tank
elegysanft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:10 PM   #5
lochaber
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Just want to chime in that it looks/moves like a leech.

Not sure if they are harmful, I wasn't aware of this recently, but only some leeches are parasitic, there are a bunch that are apparently detritovores, or predators of smaller worms/bugs/whatever.

I had one show up in my tank during the fishless cycle, it was bigger then any of the snails currently in there. I pulled it out and tossed it in a little tray of water/snails/plant fragments on a window sill. Seen it in there one day a couple months later. no idea where it was or what it was doing up until then.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:16 AM   #6
Michael M
Planted Member

It moves like a leech. I would also vote leech. I too have had these in my tank, though the ones I had were red. They swam in an "S" shape motion and would stick INSANELY hard to the glass if you tried to remove them.

Mine were introduced by feeding live blackworms as they are known to live in their cultures in LFS. I removed the ones I found by hand and my african clawed frogs ate the rest.

Some leeches are detritus feeders and some are parasitic but there's really no way to distinguish which are which. I remember Googling for hours and hours without ever finding any real species identification to make me feel safe knowing they were in my aquarium.

I would remove if possible, some fish my eat them as my frogs did, others may fall prey to them. Really hard call.
Michael M is offline   Reply With Quote