hambone870's 20L - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 04-22-2013, 01:42 PM   #16
Mumford
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

hambone870's 20L

If that is your new plan you may want to see if you can find an even bigger mountain top to stick in there to draw your attention more. And maybe move it more to the golden ratio part.

If I were you I'd look into Iwagami rock placement techniques. Although your goal is slightly different it might teach you a bit about rock placement and sizing and focus. I'd also look into golden ratio and rule of thirds. It might help you determine where you'd want to stick your rocks in your tank.

Another thing I'd recommend is adding 1 or 3 more rocks. From my days in landscaping I can tell you odd numbers will inherently look better than even. Regardless of quantity.

Lastly I'd look into another fish. CPDs are great little fish but extremely shy and may not do very well without anything for them to hide in/behind. Everything I've read about them says to stick them in a heavily planted tank to give them plenty of places to go hide in/as well as adding a couple other dither fish to help convince them to come out of cover. Just a few things for thought

I'm subscribed and will like to see how this progresses!

- Mumford

20 Gallon Long - Work in Progress
Mumford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2013, 02:34 PM   #17
dasob85
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)

I also like the mountain range idea. Looking forward to this.

I think dual stage regulators are more resistant to end of tank dumps but dont quote me on that lol. You could always just keep an eye on the tank pressure if you get a single. I got my dual stage from a member here who sells them. I think pretty much any regulator could work as long as you change the fittings to the proper cga number for co2. Anyway, once more, I am no expert. I suggest you read the sticky about co2. It is very informative.
dasob85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:29 PM   #18
theericafish
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

About the galaxies, from my experience they will appreciate some hiding spots and the males do get aggressive toward each other. Some stems in the corners will do them a lot of good.

+1 to what Mumford said. They really do appreciate hiding spots.

And ya about the co2 from what I've researched single stage is OK but you're going to want to keep an eye on the tank pressure and as soon as it begins to drop you're going to want to refill the tank before the liquid co2 turns to gas and causes eotd. There's a lot of debate on this but I feel you should be safe vs sorry.

That being said there are a number of people who use paintball co2 setups and single stage regulators without issue. For about 150$ you could purchase a number of setups but I commonly see Milwaukee single stage regulators and aqua tech. They both run around 90-100$. Do a search on the sales forum and you can find people selling paintball setups for around 100$ (including the tank you will need to purchase elsewhere). Just keep in mind that you will need to keep a closer eye on a single stage setup and I would recommend setting up and dialing in your system before adding any livestock.

Last edited by theericafish; 04-22-2013 at 10:38 PM.. Reason: etc
theericafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:39 PM   #19
StraightAddicted
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

Very nice clean setup. I would add some more rocks to give it more depth and a true focal point. If you do go with driftwood, a moss tree would be nice in the setup and not be overkill. Good luck with the tank, cant wait to see updates.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:00 AM   #20
hambone870
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Default hambone870's 20L

Thanks everyone for the interest so far, it is very useful for a sounding board. Thus far my plan is to fit some stems in for the background. I want something that gets bushy with a cool leaf pattern. I like star grass but was wondering if that would fill out. I still searching for a mid ground plant and maybe something red to go along with the stems in back.

As far a the scape I'm convinced at moving the rocks and adding possibly one more in the mix for balance but that also calls for uprooting some rooted healthy hc which kinda makes me cautious. Those came to me in poor shape and was so sparsely seeded that I'm proud of how well they bounced back with my brown thumb. Not saying impossible just cautious.

Though I've been warned about CPD's will jump as well as need hiding room that is no reason for me to not get them. In fact I must get them because that was what the warden finally agreed upon. I don't have the stamina for a second round. I would rather adjust the scape to suit their needs.

I will rescape a bit and update, thanks everyone!

[Hambone's House]

[Culture Club]
hambone870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:26 PM   #21
hambone870
Planted Tank Enthusiast

week 3

week 5

God this Finnex Ray2 is so freaking bright, my i-phone exposure cant even pick up the color green in the highest light areas.

The bottom is almost covered by the HC, im ordering the last of the equipment I need and anticipate the flood in the next couple weeks.

[Hambone's House]

[Culture Club]
Old 05-11-2013, 04:05 AM   #22
Mumford
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Default hambone870's 20L

Lookin good

20 Gallon Long - Work in Progress
Mumford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:16 PM   #23
CaptainSlow
Algae Grower

Hi Hambone 870

Is there any update please?

How you are getting on with your CPD's ?

It is a long while since you uploaded pics ...
CaptainSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:22 PM   #24
hambone870
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Sure ill update when I get home tonight when my lights come on

[Hambone's House]

[Culture Club]
Old 08-03-2013, 01:39 AM   #25
sacme
Planted Member

It's amazing how insync our tank journals are, I'm loving the piece of petrified woof and the HC is coming in at a similar rate to mine. Keep it up dude
sacme is offline   Reply With Quote