fenbendazole and nerites
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 05-09-2013, 01:59 PM   #1
naturelady
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

fenbendazole and nerites

I dosed my 29gal aquarium with fenbendazole because I had planaria (yuck!). I moved my nerites out of this aquarium prior to dosing because I heard they were sensitive. After I dosed, I waited 3 days, did a 50% water change, and moved the nerites back.

2 days after their return to my 29gal, they were looking rough. They just weren't moving around the tank much at all, kind of just hanging out and not eating. So I removed them from the 29gal again. All except one seem okay, just slow.

I really want them in the 29gal, but I am afraid it will kill them. Is there anything else I can do? Will another water change be enough to make it safe for them??
naturelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2013, 02:03 PM   #2
naturelady
Planted Member

I forgot other relevant info-
I dosed them with 0.3 mg for the 29 gal tank. I dissolved it into a small amount of water, and only poured the dissolved portion into the tank, leaving the solid stuff out. The fish, ramshorns, and MTS seem to be unaffected by the treatment, although I have so many of those extra snails I don't know that I would notice a difference anyhow.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:08 PM   #3
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well i had a bunch of nuisance snails in my 20G tank, and when I did the fenben treatment the big strong ugly ones turned grey and hung out of their shells a bit, but that didn't stop them from mating and slurping around. The little ones however did all disappear, likely dead. If you want to get rid of the fenben in your water, a big water change and that charcoal filter to filter the meds out for a bit should do the trick. i just started a levamisole treatment last night, and THAT one seemed to wipe out the snails but good. haven't seen any this morning, usually there's at least one on the walls.
Jahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:42 PM   #4
Edub
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default fenbendazole and nerites

Fenben killed all of my nerites. I suggest one or more water changes before putting yours back in. Stir up the bottom a little if you can because the mess have a tendency to settle.
Edub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:07 PM   #5
CookieM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

fenbendazole + nerite is a disaster. I did treatment 3 days. Changed water 50% on day 3. Day 5 change another 50%. Then introduce nerite with dripping acclimation yet they still die slowly.

You can't get rid of fenbendazole in the tank after introducing them because they buried in your soils, plants, driftwoods, etc...
CookieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:39 PM   #6
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

one you treat a tank nerite are no longer safe in the tank. sorry for the bad news
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:56 PM   #7
Neptoon'd
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicca27 View Post
one you treat a tank nerite are no longer safe in the tank. sorry for the bad news
Does that mean never again? Would you have to go so far as to tear the tank down and restart in order to make it safe for the nerites?
Neptoon'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:23 AM   #8
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

from what i heard its kinda ever cause the med gets in the silicone. i could be wrong though but i have never treated a tank i wanted nerites in either
Old 05-10-2013, 11:32 AM   #9
naturelady
Planted Member

Never again?? Oh. That is a problem. I really want them in this tank, because it is my larger tank. Activated carbon won't make it safe for them?? I certainly would not have treated the tank if I knew that they never could go in again...
Old 05-10-2013, 12:36 PM   #10
jnatelborg54@gmail.com
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I had the same thing happen when I used no-planaria. I now use the Gush catch pen when I start seeing planaria. It works great and I don't have to worry about my nerites.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:51 PM   #11
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Seeing as how my tank had both fenben and levamisole treatments, no way i'll ever intro nerites to the tank. Amazingly though, there is one big fat pest snail that lived on, and just last nite i saw two tiny tiny ones of the same ilk on the glass.

I was very tempted to smash the small ones, but hey - if I can't have nerites, might as well have some pedestrian snails eat up leftover mess in the tank. Maybe I'll get some ramshorn in there instead.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:20 PM   #12
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicca27 View Post
from what i heard its kinda ever cause the med gets in the silicone. i could be wrong though but i have never treated a tank i wanted nerites in either

That's totally wrong, fenbendazole is short loved, even if you can't introduce them back right after the treatment, just wait a few weeks/water changes/charcoal filters and it'll be fine.

Just thought I'd clear things up for anyone else who happens to come across this thread.

I think you're thinking of copper, wicca27. Copper is a heavy metal and can bond to silicone, which can harm sensitive invertebrates for a long time. Fenbendazole is a medication that loses its effectiveness when exposed to light and oxygen.
mordalphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:25 PM   #13
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)

By the way, I _WISH_ it stayed in aquarium forever, then I'd never have to treat for hydra or planaria ever again. It would be nice, but eventually I'll get some new moss and the hydra will be back.
mordalphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:26 PM   #14
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

hmm, which is maybe why my pest snails live on? i did do massive water changes and charcoal filters to get as much med out as I could, all fauna perked up after that and like i said, even saw two new baby snails out and about last night.

ok, maybe i'll pick up one tire track nerite tonight and see how the poor canary sings by the morn.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:40 PM   #15
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

it has never bothered my pond, mts, or rams horn snails.