First Planted 90g Rainbowfish Tank - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 05-10-2013, 12:22 AM   #16
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnleon View Post
Your rainbows have great color! The bug briefly had a hold on me because of bold looking fish like yours. Of course I kept finding washed out duds.
The key for good bows is a good breeder with a pure stock. Most of the LFS stock is going to be washed out. They also grow slow, and are slow to develop full colors too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ua hua View Post
Very good start. I really like the rainbows and my favorite tank on this forum had rainbows. I don't know if you have ever seen it because it's an older thread but check it out if you like.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=111354
I LOVE Sanj's tank, he actually has two of them, the larger one has the big bows, his smaller (being 90g) has some of the medium and smaller bows like M.Herbertaxelrodi, M.Nigrans and M.Kamaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHolmes View Post
Thanks! That tank is massive and the scape is amazing.

I usually sit in front of the tank for an hour a day. Thanks for the info. I really enjoy the color and look of the Malaysian wood. It also serves as a solid barrier between the substrate and sand. That allows me to gravel vac the sand and keep it clean.

I am keeping the right side open for the rainbows. Eventually the stems from the left will bend and flow to the right from the current. The rainbows are only about 1/3 to 1/2 their full size right now. Each one will be around six inches minus the blue rainbows. I am thinking of adding plants to the wood soon. Here are the specs from the third post:
if I have my bows right the "blue bows" are M. Kamaka. Great fish too! stay small and in there older age get a VERY high back lol

Great tank, more branchy wood will get some nice antics from the bows. mine LOVE to swim up and around the my driftwood during courting times.
Noahma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2013, 05:20 AM   #17
BHolmes
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
if I have my bows right the "blue bows" are M. Kamaka. Great fish too! stay small and in there older age get a VERY high back
That's correct. I feed them all high protein frozen foods 2-3 times a day to promote the high back.

Quote:
Great tank, more branchy wood will get some nice antics from the bows. mine LOVE to swim up and around the my driftwood during courting times.
I've been wanting to get a video of my reds duking it out over the two females. One turns a dark, rich red with silver and the other turns a bright reddish orange. The movements that they do to get the females attention is cool too. The two blues morph a white stripe over their back when they go at it. The boesemani are the only ones that just swim around.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:33 AM   #18
BHolmes
Planted Member

I just did a water test for the first time since October of last year.
API liquid test kits: PH 7.5 / GH 6 / KH 6 / Nitrate 10 / Phosphate .5 / Ammonia 0 / Nitrite 0
45g w/c once a week every Monday. I'm only dosing Prime (Monday), API Leaf Zone (Monday), and API CO2 Booster 2x day.
Any suggestions?
Old 05-19-2013, 06:31 AM   #19
BHolmes
Planted Member

Week 3:
The Cabomba pulcherrima exploded! It's already 24" tall and ready for a trim. All the other plants are slow growers. I haven't really helped because I have rearranged them twice in the last two weeks. None of the plants have melted or died either. All of the fish are growing and showing more color.

Future Plans:
I've taken into consideration planting the wood. I'll be ordering dwarf baby tears to tie on the top and anubias nana to plant in the caves. I'm also ordering blyxa japonica and cyperus helferi to further fill-in the planted half. The stump for the right side to break up the sand is still being decided on. I found one that is 14" x 22" x 5" and it looks like it would go with the flow of the tank.
Equipment:
The tank really needs an increase in flow so I'm going to add two Koralia 240's. That should eliminate all dead spots and decrease brown algae. I also need to quit kidding myself and dive into pressurized CO2. The plants need to look just as good as the fish.

Here are updated cell pics! One day I'll buy a camera, after I finish spending money on the tank. Enjoy!

Old 05-25-2013, 06:29 AM   #20
BHolmes
Planted Member

Week: 4
Everything is still going good. Nothing new to add except pics of new growth.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:13 AM   #21
shawnleon
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default First Planted 90g Rainbow Tank

The tank continues to impress me. Question: what type of stones are you using and where'd you locate them? I'd like to add something similar to my new setup.
shawnleon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2013, 07:53 PM   #22
BHolmes
Planted Member

Thank you. They are Yamaya stones. I bought them a couple years back and can't remember where but they are easy to find. They have a nice blue-grey color to them. I'm pretty sure I bought the five pound box. The largest stone out of the bunch was found on the white river here in WA. It has the same blue-grey color with some brown streaks mixed in.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:10 PM   #23
Digital
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to Digital Send a message via Yahoo to Digital Send a message via Skype™ to Digital

Those red rainbows are awesome. Your tank looks great with them and the other boesamis
Old 06-01-2013, 07:51 AM   #24
BHolmes
Planted Member

Thanks. I'm really looking into adding more bows. My local lfs has an amazing selection
Old 06-22-2013, 11:55 PM   #25
BHolmes
Planted Member

It's been a busy week! First off, big thanks to Bartohog for the amazing plant additions. I did a complete tank tear-down and rescape in one night. New additions are:
Ludwigia inclinata Curly
Ludwigia Atlantis
Echinodorus angustifolia 'Vesuvius'
Anubias nana
Blyxa Japonica
Hygrophila Pinnatifida
Blyxa Aubertii
Fissidens
Riccia fluitans
Dwarf hairgrass

Out are:
Cabomba Purple, Red Melon Sword, Hydrotriche hottoniiflora

I also added MGOPM with a Flora-Max cap. I'm still waiting to tie down the Fissidens and Riccia fluitans to wood and rocks. I also need to add more micro sword here and there.

New substrate

New plants

Immediately after refill (2:00 am Thurs night)

Today

Sorry about the reflection. I'm too impatient to wait till tonight.

I'll be adding more close-up pic's of each plant this coming week
Old 06-24-2013, 06:17 AM   #26
BHolmes
Planted Member

Old 06-30-2013, 05:08 AM   #27
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Wait, you dirted the tank now? How'd that go being that the tank was already established?

And where did you keep the fish while you did the re-scape? I almost want to do this for my 75 in place of just having eco-complete....then again I probably shouldn't mess with that too much.

Gunna be keeping an eye on this, we can swap ideas lol
Old 07-01-2013, 12:04 AM   #28
BHolmes
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridHerp View Post
Wait, you dirted the tank now? How'd that go being that the tank was already established?

And where did you keep the fish while you did the re-scape? I almost want to do this for my 75 in place of just having eco-complete....then again I probably shouldn't mess with that too much.

Gunna be keeping an eye on this, we can swap ideas lol
Yup, I dirted the tank. It was really easy and everything has gone perfect since it was established. I haven't had any negative water parameters at all.

I filled a rubbermaid bin with 30g of tank water and transferred the plants and fish. I drained another 30g into another bin to clean my filter. The water that was remaining in the tank was syphoned out. Some of the Flora-Max was formed into the border of the planting area and piled under the driftwood. I placed the driftwood, rocks, and formed the sand. The soil was dumped into the open area and capped with the remaining Flora-Max. I started slowly filling the tank while I planted it. After everything was planted I started adding the fish back in.

My plants are exploding with new growth right now! I think it's the best thing I could have ever done. Everything has cycled perfectly because the tank was already established.

We'll definitely swap ideas. I can't wait to see what you come up with for your build
Old 07-01-2013, 12:08 AM   #29
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

I want to dirt it...but given that some of my fish can dig...probably a bad idea

Still waiting for my endli to be sold, ugh
Old 07-08-2013, 07:40 AM   #30
BHolmes
Planted Member

I had a pretty cool thing happen yesterday, a dragonfly hatched from my tank! I found a larvae attached to the corner. I poked at it to see if it was still alive but it looked kind of hollow. I plucked it from the tank and flushed it thinking that it didn't make it. Come to find out there was a dragonfly on the wall above the tank. There was another larvae that I found but he didn't make it.

I purchased some S. repens and anubius nana from petsmart the other day. They have quite a good selection of plants now.

Here's an updated fts. I also added four golden barbs and two rainbow sharks. I think I might get four more golden barbs to watch them shoal in the current and plants.

You could see that I have developed some bba and staghorn on some plants. Hopefully I could find a couple of true sae's at the lfs to take care of that.

And last but not least, there are two fry in my hospital tank. I just noticed them while I was writing this. I have no idea what they are but I'm thinking that the eggs were laid on the cabomba or micro sword. I just rushed and covered the filter intake with a media bag. I'm guessing the others weren't so lucky. Red arrows are the fry in the current feeding

Tags
90g, cascade, coralife t5ho, mgocpm, rainbowfish

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.