Blueberry Shrimp or Caridina Babaulti Blue?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 01-03-2013, 08:42 PM   #1
JEden8
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Blueberry Shrimp or Caridina Babaulti Blue?

So I picked up some more shrimp at my LFS. He says that they are Blueberry Shrimp but I like to be certain on here before choosing their best home tank. Here are the best pics I can get of them. Any ideas?

The reason I was sticking with the idea of them possbibly being Caridina Babaulti Blues is because they are huge compared to any of my adult cherry shrimps I've ever had. What I read online is that they are a bit larger than most shrimp but I could be wrong. That's why I'm asking the pros!

Old 01-03-2013, 08:46 PM   #2
pinoyghost2
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

definitely babaulti...they come in many colors and the key sign is the long straight profile and larger thicker body than most Neos.

Often called blueberry shrimps they don't breed true...sorry.
pinoyghost2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:09 PM   #3
JEden8
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoyghost2 View Post
definitely babaulti...they come in many colors and the key sign is the long straight profile and larger thicker body than most Neos.

Often called blueberry shrimps they don't breed true...sorry.
I've read online mixed stories that some do and some don't. If they don't breed true, what colors will they be? Brown?
Old 01-03-2013, 09:34 PM   #4
pinoyghost2
Planted Tank Obsessed

I bought black ones or so I thought (they were actually very dark blue) several were berried when I brought them home, but they died soon after (stress Im guessing) I didn't see any babies for the longest time then one day I noticed all these little white shrimps hanging around on some IAL.

As these babies grew they changed color to orange, brown, red so that is why I am saying they don't usually breed true.

However depending on who actually bred them these might be a new strain that does stay blue...you would need to keep them separate to see what the babies look like and how they grow up.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:02 PM   #5
JEden8
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoyghost2 View Post
I bought black ones or so I thought (they were actually very dark blue) several were berried when I brought them home, but they died soon after (stress Im guessing) I didn't see any babies for the longest time then one day I noticed all these little white shrimps hanging around on some IAL.

As these babies grew they changed color to orange, brown, red so that is why I am saying they don't usually breed true.

However depending on who actually bred them these might be a new strain that does stay blue...you would need to keep them separate to see what the babies look like and how they grow up.
Sorry to hear that! Did you end up keeping them or did you sell them off?

I just went and looked at mine and 2 of the 7 I bought have a redish brown color on the tops of them but are blue on for the most part of the body. The others are still that deep blue color.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:03 AM   #6
pinoyghost2
Planted Tank Obsessed

I ended up reselling them, as I wanted something more stable blue (love blue shrimps) so bought OEBTs instead....course then I was hooked
Old 01-04-2013, 12:35 PM   #7
crazydog64
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Not to burst your bubble yet again, but some strains of OEBT don't breed true blue also. They will throw out blondes.
crazydog64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:38 PM   #8
pinoyghost2
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yeah I know that...I bred over 300+ of them a year or so ago. I had mostly deep blues, some paler blues and very little blondes. Once you get enough deep blues established they will usually continue to produce the deeper blue color. At least in my experience they did.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:08 AM   #9
trit0n2003
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (41/100%)

I bought these shrimp too! They went in with my Blue Diamond Neos.

I had a similar experience with buying berried females that passed away right after. But luckily they were at the stage of releasing the young shrimplets and were able to before they died. I ended up with at least 70+, and the offspring are all sorts of different colors.. but I enjoy lots of shrimp :P