Any students here have motivation problems? - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 05-09-2013, 01:42 AM   #31
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synyster1337 View Post
Hi all. I was wondering if any of the college bros (or sis's :P) Have the same problem as me. I don't want to sound like I'm being self-centered, but I'm a pretty sharp-minded young fellow, and I'm capable of doing whatever I want to with my life. I got a 28 on my ACT before college, and the whole time I've been in school, I've just skated by with doing just enough. I can't be bothered to study extra hard for that A or B just because I don't care to. Is there any way to curb this other than "sucking it up"?
not to toot my own horn, but im smart, the problem with being too smart as i and now my wife likes to say is, life becomes too easy to be challenged, and it feels like its not worth trying
I"VE BEEN THERE
lemme tell you where it gets you
a poor paying job while all the mediocre people work hard and get good paying jobs

challenge urself, and do as other's have said, MAKE THE EFFORT

Old 05-09-2013, 07:28 AM   #32
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (259/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbn View Post
Totally got you, Tom I was the dude over at SFBAAPS last year asking about college advice if you remember that:P haha I'm currently keeping a 3.6, but really need to get it up to a 3.8-4.0 to feel more "comfortable" when I apply to transfer to UCLA for Bio, or Human Bio, or Physiology:P Granted, I still have to take many, many science/math courses before I can even apply.
3.5 or higher is the goal, you are okay then. MCAD/DAT/LSAT etc, you will need to rock on however if you go those directions. Grad school/research science etc, then you need passion and interest in that area. People who like to solve problems, that are just fricking dang curious Georges........and are willing to prove their ideas, that's what will help the most.

Regarding motivation, never ever give up, the turtle beat the hare, tenacity beats brains. So persistence alone can accomplish great things.

Small steps will get you there, kick butt this semester. then worry about the next one later. Have papers due in one class from Hell? do the 1st one asap and stay on top of that, then after you get an A or B, start of the next etc.
Will it be hell at times? Yes. If you have to go through Hell, keep going.

As someone who recently got his PhD, it is an endurance test. I'm a professional student. Still look like a student too, which at my age, is a good thing.

I also taught a lot at UF and at Community college, so I know what instructors are after, and how to study for things, how they make exams etc.
I am either very good at anticipating and calculating or very very very lucky.

Hopefully I'm very very lucky
Old 05-09-2013, 07:51 AM   #33
sumer
No Feeling is final

PTrader: (23/96%)
Smile

Quote:
Regarding motivation, never ever give up, the turtle beat the hare, tenacity beats brains. So persistence alone can accomplish great things.
Very well said Tom.
I have a similar experience with me. I know it feels terrible when you're undergoing the "bad" face of life. But life's all about averages. You lose something, and then you gain something too.
I wrote this blog post last year. People have been telling them that they found it motivating. Maybe it is..
Have a look at it and it might help you feel better.
Believe me there are people out there with the problems that are far critical and worse than ours.
Make your mind, take your stand and do it. Never regret what you did in the past. Believe in accountability. Have faith in yourself and you can touch the sky

http://anonymoususerx.wordpress.com/...w-experiences/
sumer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2013, 09:05 AM   #34
gabysapha
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Ha, I think we all go through this phase in college
My experience is that whatever I did in high school, whatever awards I got, what AP classes I took, what scores I got on exams, never mattered in college. It's a different playing field. I'm a graduating senior at an ivy league school known for being very competitive; everyone took APs and did well on SATs as high schoolers.

I had a terrible first year. It was not until I was a sophomore that I realized I was not in the right major for me. Once I switched, I felt very motivated because I loved what I was doing, and I was surrounded by people who loved it too! I found my niche. And once I got closer to my faculty advisor and professors, I felt I had to do well or else they'd kick my butt. They were watching my progress and knew me personally, so if I slacked they would know and would be disappointed. So, surrounding myself with mentors who cared about me and finding what I loved made all the difference in getting motivated.
gabysapha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2013, 03:58 PM   #35
Indychus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

When I first went to college I had major motivation issues. I initially went for Business Administration, but changed to Psychology. Once I got my degree, I didn't do anything with it.

10 years later, I went back for Mechanical Engineering. I finally figured out what my problem was. Neither the BA or Psychology programs expected much from the students. You basically show up during the day and party all night and get straight A's.

Engineering doesn't work like that. I had to put in 80 hours per week to keep up, and during midterms and finals I went full weeks with less than 5-10 hours of sleep. Lack of motivation isn't an issue because you can't do the bare minimum and expect to get through. If you lack motivation, you either find it or you're out.

I find it funny that so many people have posted about how smart they are, yet their posts are full of grammatical errors and poor vocabulary. Mayhap it's the Dunning-Kruger effect at play?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect

In any case, Shakespeare said, "A fool thinks himself to be wise, a wise man knows himself to be foolish." I think some of you need to reign in your ego and prove how intelligent you are instead of claiming it and having mediocre grades as "proof."
Old 05-09-2013, 06:44 PM   #36
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (259/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indychus View Post
When I first went to college I had major motivation issues. I initially went for Business Administration, but changed to Psychology. Once I got my degree, I didn't do anything with it.

10 years later, I went back for Mechanical Engineering. I finally figured out what my problem was. Neither the BA or Psychology programs expected much from the students. You basically show up during the day and party all night and get straight A's.

Engineering doesn't work like that. I had to put in 80 hours per week to keep up, and during midterms and finals I went full weeks with less than 5-10 hours of sleep. Lack of motivation isn't an issue because you can't do the bare minimum and expect to get through. If you lack motivation, you either find it or you're out.

I find it funny that so many people have posted about how smart they are, yet their posts are full of grammatical errors and poor vocabulary. Mayhap it's the Dunning-Kruger effect at play?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect

In any case, Shakespeare said, "A fool thinks himself to be wise, a wise man knows himself to be foolish." I think some of you need to reign in your ego and prove how intelligent you are instead of claiming it and having mediocre grades as "proof."
Old saying: No rest for wicked, and the good don't need sleep. Applies well to engineering students.

You are not seeking answers, you are seeking questions. I think school should beat the cockiness out of you. If not, then you did not learn.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:46 PM   #37
Asphalt Art
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
You are not seeking answers, you are seeking questions. I think school should beat the cockiness out of you. If not, then you did not learn.
Almost an exact quote from my first Law Professor, Mr. Thompson.
Asphalt Art is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.