Help stocking my first 3.3 Gallon Nano Tank.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 05-07-2013, 10:31 PM   #1
pinchez
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Help stocking my first 3.3 Gallon Nano Tank.

Hi everyone decided to join this excellent community after picking up my first Nano Tank and after much googling I came to the conclusion this was the best place

I've been keeping pond and tropical fish for a few years and have a very successful 60 gallon tank. This is my first Nano adventure though!

I was at a Carboot sale last Sunday and picked up a complete and as new Superfish Aqua Qube 15. I've also purchased some fine black gravel/sand, a few plants, bog wood, rock and a 25w heater. I am in the process of cycling the tank using water and bacteria from my 60G. I'm doing a 30% water change daily using water from the 60G tank.

I want to buy some java moss and grass etc. but will probably have to get these from eBay has my LFS don't stock the fancia plants you guys use. But by looking on here I should be able to work out what plants to get

I'm really struggling on fish and critters. Would like some life in there without overstocking and I'm open to tiny fish like Pygmy Rasbora's, Red Cherry Shrimp and even fancy snails. Looking for recommendations and how many fish, shrimp and snails I could keep in 3.3G.

Thanks
pinchez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2013, 10:49 PM   #2
joey24dirt
Algae Grower

Galaxy rasbora or emerald rasbora are a cool fish that are small enough to have a little group. They seem to like jumping out of the tank though so a lid is necessary. If you have a maidenhead aquatics nearby I would say pay them a visit. They seem to stock plenty of the fish I mentioned in the local stores to me and they are always fit and healthy. Hope this helps
Old 05-07-2013, 10:55 PM   #3
pinchez
Algae Grower

Yeah I'm only a couple of miles away from maidenhead aquatic, always found their fish to be fit and healthy and will definitely be heading there for my nano fish and shrimp

Without overstocking how many fish and shrimp could I keep?

Btw I have a glass lid that came with the tank
Old 05-08-2013, 07:21 AM   #4
joey24dirt
Algae Grower

Well shrimp don't really make that much mess so you could have a load of them without too much trouble I would think. With the fish I try to keep to the rule of 1" of fish per gallon of water. It's just a rough guide so i would use that but also research about the fish you like. Personally if I had the tank I would add around 5-10 cherry shrimp and then a groups of maybe 5-6 galaxy/emerald rasbora. Obviously with the smaller tanks you need to keep on top of water parameters as they can change so quickly but I'm sure you know this already. Sorry if I'm telling you things you already know haha
Old 05-08-2013, 07:39 AM   #5
joey24dirt
Algae Grower

Oh also just a quick one. Blyxa japonica is an awesome plant. A friend told me about it when I first started out and I'm glad he did. Maidenhead might have it, if not there are some good sellers on no ebay links allowed
Old 05-08-2013, 05:32 PM   #6
stevencaller
Algae Grower

yeah, I agree that only the very smallest of rasbora species would be happy in a 3.3 gal. I would suggest some small shrimp too.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:51 PM   #7
pinchez
Algae Grower

Thanks Joey that's a great help

So I should be alright with a school of say 5 Rasbora's and say 10 shrimp?

Hoping to get to maidenhead this weekend by which time my tank should be ready. Going to paint the back black, add some more substrate and plants with bigger plants at the back to hide the filter/heater etc.

Should I consider snails?
Old 05-08-2013, 07:21 PM   #8
joey24dirt
Algae Grower

To be honest I don't know a great deal about snails other than using assassin snails to wipe out pest snails or using snails as food for my puffers. I'm sure they would be ok in with shrimp and rasbora. You'll have to get some pictures up when you get stocked.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:32 PM   #9
pinchez
Algae Grower

I'll get some pics up once its finished, I'll research snails but I like the sound of assassin snails to control pest snails, in my big tank I have loach to do that job and was wondering how I might do it in a nano.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:57 PM   #10
joey24dirt
Algae Grower

Yeah they are really effective at wiping out pests. I could do with some more. I just got mine off eBay last time I bought some and they were fine once they acclimatised to my water.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:20 PM   #11
Alaskan Fishface
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

I love snails, nerites and posos are my favorite.
The Fraternity of Dirt #126 - Daughter of the Dirt
10 gal community tank
5.2 Mr. Aqua - Blue Velvet/pygmy cory tank
6 gal Fluval Edge - PFR/cory haustas tank
2 gal Betta Jar
Alaskan Fishface is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.