Media for Eheim Canister?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 05-06-2013, 04:36 PM   #1
d2mini
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Media for Eheim Canister?

I have had my new shrimp tank set up for 2 months now and have not messed with the Eheim Classic 250 (2213) since i set it up. For one, when should i tear it down and clean it... and two, is there something better that I should put in there vs the media and pads it came with?

TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2013, 05:37 PM   #2
WheeledGoat
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

there's a wonderful world of creative, cheap, and amazingly effective cannister basket additions.

plastic pot scrubbers are a favorite, and stupid cheap at the dollar store. they do double duty and water polishers and biomass filters

polyester baffling/stuffing is popular too to water polishing

my own personal take on it is "you can't have enough biological filtration" so I have two of my baskets filled to the brim with rocks/tubes/stuff to support my biological filter. i sleep better at night knowing (or at least believing) my filter is ready to handle an unforseen mini-disaster that would bring other less-prepared tanks down.
WheeledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:56 PM   #3
Bubba Shrimp
Planted Tank Obsessed

I change my floss and clean the filter every two weeks with my eheim 2213. I change the carbon pad once a month

Guy: "I have Algae on my drift wood!"

Pet Clerk: "Take two Plecos and call me next week."

EHEIM Classic 2213
Check out my blog
tsturgeonblog.wordpress.com/
Bubba Shrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:13 PM   #4
d2mini
Planted Member

What about things like phosguard or any of that kind of stuff?
Old 05-07-2013, 02:26 AM   #5
gSTiTcH
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

I see additives like that as bandaids to mask a deeper problem.
gSTiTcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:20 PM   #6
WheeledGoat
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstitch View Post
i see additives like that as bandaids to mask a deeper problem.
+1000
WheeledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:26 PM   #7
VAtanks
Planted Member

I just run as much bio media and some fine filter floss pad with a small bag of purigen less than 100 ml of purigen, my fx5 is filled 2 trays of biomax and one tray has filter floss and the 205 has the same set up. Good regular water changes for the most part fixes anything dumping media into a filter could.
VAtanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:05 PM   #8
d2mini
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gSTiTcH View Post
I see additives like that as bandaids to mask a deeper problem.
Really? So is a filter a bandaid, too?
I'm not asking about additives. I don't add any bottled chemicals to my tanks. It's just a different kind of media like carbon.
Sure, you may look to use it if you are already having problems, but why not use the best filter media possible to help avoid problems in the first place? On my reef tank I run a protein skimmer but I also run ROX Carbon and GFO. Water quality with saltwater is extremely important so I'm used to using preventative measures, with water changes being the first line of defense. My reef tank is set up with automatic water changes, where small amounts of the water gets changed EVERY SINGLE DAY. So yes, I am fully aware of the importance of water changes and overall good husbandry.

This why I'm looking for the best possible stuff to use or the best possible way to setup my canister filter.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:16 PM   #9
gSTiTcH
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
Really? So is a filter a bandaid, too?
Negative. Good filtration is a necessity. However, that pesky H2O people keep adding to their tanks.... Let's just say that it has been found in the tanks of all people with algae outbreaks.

Quote:
Sure, you may look to use it if you are already having problems, but why not use the best filter media possible to help avoid problems in the first place?
Because it can cover up emerging problems that can be addressed with a little more work. There are a lot of people with beautiful planted tanks that are not running Phosguard, Carbon, Purigen, or anything else aside from basic filtration and carefully balanced nutrient schedules. Please understand, I'm not attacking your maintenance habits or methodology. However, I do believe it's best to run as close to a natural system as possible (in an unnatural environment..) and adjust as needed.

Quote:
On my reef tank I run a protein skimmer but I also run ROX Carbon and GFO. Water quality with saltwater is extremely important so I'm used to using preventative measures, with water changes being the first line of defense.
I don't know about Marine. I have no experience with them. I do know that planted freshwater tanks are unique in a lot of ways in that the plants and livestock form a mutually beneficial symbiotic relationship. A relationship that mitigates the need for a lot of the things often run in a non-planted tank.

Just my $0.02, and opinions are like buttholes. Everyone has one, and they all stink.
gSTiTcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:23 PM   #10
msawdey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

with weekly water changes, you should be able to get away with once a month cleanings
Old 05-08-2013, 05:05 PM   #11
d2mini
Planted Member

Alrighty, sounds good!