LFS in/around Tampa?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Florida

Old 12-03-2012, 03:41 PM   #1
shiloh
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

LFS in/around Tampa?

Hi, just wondering what fish stores and/or farms people frequent in the tampa area. I live near Marine Aquarium Warehouse and its pretty good, but definitely caters to saltwater. I've been otherwise unimpressed by the shops I've visited. Also, does anybody collect their own driftwood around here?

Old 12-03-2012, 05:46 PM   #2
Borikuan
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

Yull have a hard time beating Marine Warehouse, if you cant find what you are looking for there might has well buy online.
Borikuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:51 AM   #3
difrent7
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Only LFS I have been to is Pet Wize near USF area. I found a guy in Brandon on craigslist that has a bunch of driftwood I will probably checkout his selection soon.
difrent7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:48 AM   #4
GraphicGr8s
Supreme ruler & master

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by difrent7 View Post
Only LFS I have been to is Pet Wize near USF area. I found a guy in Brandon on craigslist that has a bunch of driftwood I will probably checkout his selection soon.
Pet Wize is a joke.
Since Gus left Nick has driven it downhill. They were great when they were Pet Mart and on Busch Blvd. The moved to 56th street and really started downhill. After they moved from there it really went down. I won't shop there. Creature Castle in Valrico is pretty decent. Nolans in Lakeland isn't bad either. It's under new ownership. Must say though I haven't been there in a while. Might hit it over Christmas vacation.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
GraphicGr8s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:59 AM   #5
difrent7
Algae Grower

Yeah I haven't bought anything from Pet Wize, only gone in a handful of times to see what kind of plants and fish they have. I am in New Tampa and to my knowledge no real LFS around here. I will be in Sarasota/Venice for a couple days to see family so I might have better luck down there.
difrent7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:11 AM   #6
djbootleg
Algae Grower

Check out Westside Aquariums... I'm there AT LEAST 2/weekly. I've been going to Paul (owner) since I was 13 (21 now)... Hes SUPER knowledgeable and if he doesn't have it then he can get it.... Let em' know Nico sent you....

3402 S Dale Mabry Hwy Tampa, FL 33629
(813) 839-4751
djbootleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:12 AM   #7
Snookmeister

Don't buy driftwood. There are many places to gather. For example, the southwest end of the Howard Franklin bridge on the "causeway" has absolutely EPIC pieces of driftwood from tiny to GIANT , dump trucks full. Bring you a little saw and have at it. Look down on the back sides of mangrove shorelines And you will find all sorts of various driftwood that is typically old and often dry. Areas near the saltwater are your places to look for wood.
Snookmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:31 AM   #8
cah925
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (173/100%)

That's good news. I've lived here and Tampa for years and didn't know about that area for driftwood.
cah925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:13 AM   #9
aquaphytophilic
Algae Grower

Thanks for the driftwood collecting site tip. I might check it out soon. The causeway stretches out far, and I may have limited time to look for the exact site you are referring to. Any additional "clues" on where to find the driftwood site you are referring to will be gladly appreciated.

I will post again once I find the site. Hopefully with pics.
aquaphytophilic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:55 PM   #10
SmittyInFla
Algae Grower

Don't you guys worry about salt content in driftwood from the bay? I am asking a serious question, because I would MUCH rather gather than buy (Pasco County, on the Gulf).
SmittyInFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:33 AM   #11
bitFUUL
Aquaponics FTW!

PTrader: (18/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyInFla View Post
Don't you guys worry about salt content in driftwood from the bay? I am asking a serious question, because I would MUCH rather gather than buy (Pasco County, on the Gulf).
Pressure wash, soak, or boil it; you should be fine. Just make sure to brush it off real good before adding it to your tank. Florida has plenty of great wood to use in tanks, so don't buy, unless you specifically want manzanita, Malaysian, or some other non local wood.

[50g][30g][18g][12g][11.4g][7.5g][7.13g][5.5g][4.1g][3g] - [grow][pond]
bitFUUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:29 AM   #12
SmittyInFla
Algae Grower

Good to know! Thanks Bitfuul!
SmittyInFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:44 PM   #13
plo589
Algae Grower

Over the weekend, I went to Living Color Tropical Fish (https://plus.google.com/115066439385...ut?gl=us&hl=en) in Pinellas Park. Of all of the LFSs I've been to in the greater Tampa area, this one might have the best freshwater fish selection I've seen. The guy who runs the place, Ken, knows his stuff, and is very helpful and friendly (unlike most of the staff at Marine Warehouse).

There is another place called Westside Aquarium and Pets (https://plus.google.com/103893590713...ut?gl=us&hl=en). It's on South Dale Mabry. The guy who runs this place is also very helpful and friendly. There's a pretty good selection of freshwater fish here too.
plo589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:12 PM   #14
drewsuf82
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)

I'll have to check the place out in PP I haven't been there. How's their plant/invert selection ?
drewsuf82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:01 PM   #15
plo589
Algae Grower

Hmm... All I can say for sure is that they do sell some plants, but I don't think there was too much in that department. As for inverts, I also did not look closely for these. I was mostly looking for my 55g African Cichlid tank (I am just getting into planted tanks--bought a 20L at the 1$/gl sale. They did have a decent selection of non-cichlid FW fish though.
plo589 is offline   Reply With Quote