JBL Canister Review
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 05-07-2013, 12:00 AM   #1
iAndy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

JBL Canister Review

So last week I spent several hours picking out a new canister filter for my new 125L tank. I was torn between the Fluval 206 and the Tetratec EX700. I have previously used Fluval and Tetra canisters and found them reasonably okay products. I have found dis-advantages to both though. My Fluval was noisy and didn't have carry handles. The Tetratec used plastic pipes which went a weird glowing-white colour after a few months, and the spray bar is c**p.

Anyway, I eventually picked out the Fluval 206, mainly due to the price of 62, and that I didn't like Tetra's pipe work. I went to the shop to collect it and got side-tracked after seeing they stocked the JBL filters.

JBL is a German brand which isn't really very popular in the UK, only a handful of shops stock JBL products. My like for JBL started a while back when I was looking for a decent testing kit. I ended up choosing the JBL NH4 testing kit because it would read down to 0.05 compared to API's which started at 0.25. Being impressed with that I ended up purchasing the NO2, NO3, PO4, O2, GH, and KH testing kits. All of which have been excellent. From there I went on to purchase JBL filter media, food, water conditioner, etc... All of which have been top quality.

So when I saw the JBL filter in store, which I didn't even know they sell in the UK, I dropped the Fluval and ended up purchasing the JBL CristalProfi e701 for 82, which turned out to be much better value for money.

Most filters come with ceramic bio rings, or plastic bio balls. I was impressed that JBL had included the ceramic rings, plus a box of MicroMec balls worth 13. For those that don't know MicroMec is similar to Seachem Matrix. On top of that, the filter also came with a JBL 300W heater (which looks majorly high-tec) worth 22. So when you take off the cost of the heater and MicroMec which I was going to purchase anyway, the filter cost me 47. That's a bargain!

I know from experience the Tetra EX filters are virtually silent. I am pleased to say the JBL filter is equally as silent, possibly even quieter. There are three different output options available, a spray bar, an output nozzle similar to Fluval's, or just piped straight into the tank. They also include various connectors for piping around stuff.

So far, I am very impressed! It certainly rates better than Fluval and Tetra.
iAndy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.