paint for tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 05-05-2013, 01:25 PM   #1
chansman
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

paint for tank

I just got my new 75g and want to paint the back. Is there a particular product to buy? What should I use?
chansman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2013, 01:29 PM   #2
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Krylon has always worked well for me. I've even used the cheapest stuff at Walmart before and it was just fine. The Krylon just seems to go on a little better. Just make sure to do lots of light coats rather than a heavy coat and prep the glass well. Clean it very well with lots of rubbing alcohol.
EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:57 PM   #3
meppitech
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
Krylon has always worked well for me. I've even used the cheapest stuff at Walmart before and it was just fine. The Krylon just seems to go on a little better. Just make sure to do lots of light coats rather than a heavy coat and prep the glass well. Clean it very well with lots of rubbing alcohol.
I was told the krylon fusion works the best. All the above info is golden. Prep the glass to be very clean and lots of light coats. I used two cans on my 55g to be thorough. Also just make sure everything else is covered and taped. Good luck!
meppitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:22 PM   #4
nofearengineer
Aquatic Vegetable

PTrader: (3/100%)

Wow...great thread for me, as I am picking up a new 75 gallon myself next week, and was wondering the same exact thing.
nofearengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:58 PM   #5
lochaber
Planted Tank Guru

As long as you are painting the outside, any type of paint should work.

I've spraypainted tanks in the past (using whatever I got cheap at the local hardware store), and they all came out good. Just give the back a decent cleaning, mask it well (cover the opening to prevent overspray getting inside), do a couple light dustings, and then then some thicker coats until light doesn't shine through.

More recently I painted a tank with brush-on latex, and found it more effort then the spraypaint, but I did it in my studio apartment, which I couldn't really do with spraypaint.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:13 PM   #6
flight50
Planted Tank Enthusiast

As long as your tank is glass you can pretty much paint the exterior with anything. Its so much easier to remove paint from glass down the road. Now if your tank is acrylic then you need to plan differently. I agree that masking it off definitely gives you a piece of mind. I would also cover the top to prevent anything from going inside.
Eheim Pimp #509
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER#31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds - Duo DIY Quad Stands

Tanks - low tech 29g
flight50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:59 AM   #7
Bluek24a4
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

This is what I used in flat black to paint the back of my tank last week. Came out great.

http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=404

As said before, mask everything, wipe with a paper towel soaked in rubbing alcohol, wipe again with a clean/dry paper towel, do a few light coats a few minutes apart, and then a few heavier coats a few minutes apart until you cant see anymore light.

As with all painting, take your time, and make sure you do the prep/masking correctly.
Bluek24a4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:56 AM   #8
chansman
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluek24a4 View Post
This is what I used in flat black to paint the back of my tank last week. Came out great.

http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=404

As said before, mask everything, wipe with a paper towel soaked in rubbing alcohol, wipe again with a clean/dry paper towel, do a few light coats a few minutes apart, and then a few heavier coats a few minutes apart until you cant see anymore light.

As with all painting, take your time, and make sure you do the prep/masking correctly.
Looks like I have a good weekend project plus the new tank is on the dining room table and she asked that it's not there for mother's day...lol!! I need to get in gear!

Thanks guys!
Old 05-08-2013, 09:44 PM   #9
lochaber
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chansman View Post
Looks like I have a good weekend project plus the new tank is on the dining room table and she asked that it's not there for mother's day...lol!! I need to get in gear!

Thanks guys!

Eh, probably not even a weekend. You can probably manage to get most of it done during commercial breaks.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:16 PM   #10
A.D.D.i.c.t.
Shrimpin' Ain't Easy

PTrader: (0/0%)

I've used Krylon Fusion on three tanks so far, as I found the most recommendations for it when researching. The tanks have turned out awesome, and it doesn't take much time. Spray a few light coats, come back in an hour, spray some more. Easy Peasy.
Jumping Into the Deep End: DBP 3 Gallon Long
A.D.D.i.c.t. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:27 PM   #11
Bluek24a4
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chansman View Post

Thanks guys!
Took me about 30 minutes to tape and clean, and then about two hours to paint. Leaves you a whole other day for activities.

I let it sit for a few days before setting the tank up. Till it didn't smell like paint anymore.
Bluek24a4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:48 AM   #12
chansman
Planted Member

Painted it yesterday!