What is the best canister?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 05-06-2013, 06:59 AM   #1
Msduras

PTrader: (0/0%)

What is the best canister?

Hello! I have a 60 gallon tank. It will be a planted tank...with Discus, sharks....(eventually)....what canister is the best? Money is not an object as I want the best equipment outright for this tank (which through exerpience...I find saves money in the long run). I am going blind reading about these canisters and reviews....was thinking about the Fluval G3?? Also, is this the best substrate - Caribsea Eco-Complete 20 pound planted aquarium black? Can I use JUST this? Or do I need gravel as well? Also.......how many inches of this? How many bags? 120 pounds??? (thank you SOOOOO much in advance for helping a newbie!)
Msduras is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2013, 08:26 AM   #2
merritt1985
Planted Member

You can use just Eco in your tank. I like to use just one substrate in all my tanks that way when you are planting or removing plants you won't have the substrates mixing. Either way is fine though. For a 60 gallon tank i would go with 80 pounds of eco that way you have some wiggle room to make slopes or hills. Having alittle extra around is always good anyways. I've heard people go back and forth on canisters but fluval and ehiem seem to be the top two. I personally use aquatop canisters and have been really pleased with them. One thing everyone always tells me is to over filter. My 29 gallon has a 30 gallon filter and a 20 gallon filter on it. Good luck with your new tank.
merritt1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:32 AM   #3
DaveK
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Asking "...what canister is the best?" is about like asking what car is best. It all depends upon what your needs are, and what you want out of it.

My personal choice would be one of the larger Eheim canisters, but I wouldn't call anyone wrong if they chose something else. Brands of canister filters are almost like a religion to some, but I'd say any of the well know brands will do just fine.

Substrata is another area that has a lot of ways to go. There really isn't one best way. Some like Eco-complete. I use it myself, but there are others that use dirt or mud covered by gravel. Others may use ADA aquasoil, which is rather expensive. Again, no really clear choice as far as being better goes.

One final though, discus need a lot of room and special care. If your not really up on all this, do your research and reading before you get involved with them.
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:47 AM   #4
Wwh2694
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (32/100%)
Default What is the best canister?

ADA all the way!!!! They are great and reliable.
Wwh2694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:50 AM   #5
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

For a 60g, four bags of ADA Aquasoil is probably the best choice for substrate, assuming you are sparing no expense, but I believe they are worth it.

For a canister filter that depends on what you want most.
ADA Super Jet ES-1200, Fluval G6 and an Eheim 2217 or Pro3e are all great filters.
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:51 AM   #6
aznartist34
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

If money is of no issue then buy the biggest and most expensive canister filter. The term "best canister filter" is very broad because it depends on a lot of things and everyone has their own opinions. The G3 is too small for a 60 gallon tank especially for discus.

Substrate depends on what you want to do with the tank. It's hard for everyone to keep making suggestions for you as you feed us bits of info on the direction you want to go with your setup. Best way is to do research on the different types of substrates and then picking one that meets your needs
aznartist34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:12 AM   #7
Msduras

You guys are amazing and my many thanx................I have asked everyone's opinion because all the information is SO overwhelming and they sometimes contradict oneselves...and then of course...pet stores say something different. After finding your wonderful forum and all of you have BEAUTIFUL tanks....came to you. From what I have read so far......getting an oversized canister. What I meant by money is no object...I meant of course..within reason...(I chintzed out on a filter for a saltwater aquarium years ago...and learned my lesson. Thank you all so very much!!!
Msduras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:15 PM   #8
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

if money is not an option. get a nice wet dry filter and overflow box.. it is the best filtration you can get. your discus will especially enjoy the extra oxygen

when i switched to wet drys on my tanks, it was very apparent id never have any other kind of filtration. all of it is sub par to me at this point
Old 05-06-2013, 12:20 PM   #9
WheeledGoat
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Personally, I'm slightly disappointed in my Fluval 206, but to be fair I might be expecting too much out of it (lots of inline components). I've read elsewhere that the pumps in the lower end Fluvals (106, 206) are underpowered, and I'm feeling it.

I've heard great things about the Fluval FX5 (soon to be FX6) though, so I'm not ready to write off the brand entirely.
WheeledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote