Single canister-Dual tanks
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 05-06-2013, 02:05 AM   #1
PapHater
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Single canister-Dual tanks

I recently decided against setting up my 90g (moving in a year or so and don't feel like moving it down stairs) and to help placate my tank urges I am thinking about setting up two ten gallon tanks that would be side by side. One would be a shrimp tank (RCS, nothing fancy) and the other would be a dwarf puffer tank.

What do you guys think about using a single canister filter for both? I know I'd have to do all of my own plumbing but that isn't a big deal for me. Both would be low tech. Would it be feasible? Or would I just be better off with HOB's on both?
PapHater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2013, 08:11 AM   #2
DaveK
Planted Tank Enthusiast

In my opinion, unless your willing to drill the tanks, and install bulkhead fittings, and connect them, using a single canister filter on two tanks is looking for trouble.

You need a way to keep the water level the same in both tanks. While it is possible to use a siphon between the tanks, if it fails, you have a major flood, because the canister will pump one tank dry and the other will overflow.

That's also a lot of work for two 10 gal tanks. I'd go with two hang on the back filterers or two canisters, if you want to spend the money.
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:40 AM   #3
Indychus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

I would put the intake in one tank and the output in the other, with a pair (one for redundancy) of siphons connecting the two. Everyone talks about the consequences of a siphon failing, but I've used them for years on many tanks with no problems.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:45 PM   #4
PapHater
Algae Grower

When I was thinking this up I don't really consider the water level being that big of an issue, though I suppose if one of the returns got plugged it'd be a disaster. I really don't want to have to deal with a siphon purely for a couple ten gallon tanks so maybe I'll just go the HOB route.

Though I really wanted that larger volume of water to help keep my parameters steady...maybe I'll just get a 20L and put a divider in.

hmmm
PapHater is offline   Reply With Quote