bugs all over tank!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 05-06-2013, 07:23 AM   #1
sinthesis
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

bugs all over tank!

Hello,
I'm having a problem! I have a 29 bowfront. My boyfriend sunk lava rocks into fiber glass all along the back, so the entire back is lava rock. This was his tank for years, and was out of use for a few months before he gave it to me. He did have some kind of infestation of parasites, white ovals that swam around, and all his fish died. But he pretty much boiled the tank for days and then it sat empty for months. It has undergravel filtration.

There are bugs all over the lava rocks. The bugs don't swim or go in the water, just stay on the few inches of rock above the water. (Because of how he made it I can't fill it up all the way or fish will get trapped behind the rocks, that's why there's so much extra space at the top.)

They look like fleas a bit. I don't think they fly, just crawl around. They're not on the outside of the tank at all. When I do top off the water as much as I can, some get in the water and hop on the surface. They are a brown gray color. I do NOT do well with bugs and feel like I can't even maintain this tank now. I have nightmares about this tank--I guess we all have our silly phobias.

Anyway, here is a link to a video of the bugs. http://youtu.be/9WskBjNCsfo
It was hard to get close enough to see, I know it's grainy but maybe you can tell what's going on. You can see some sludge they're making. I took the video right after I put more water in, to stir them up a little.

Thanks so much, I hope you can help! Honestly I'd really like to get rid of this tank! I feel like the lava rock is just too porous and will always harbor something. But I don't feel like I can just get rid of these fish in case I give someone else these bugs.
sinthesis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2013, 03:16 PM   #2
Mark Fisher
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I believe those are springtails. They are harmless. They feed on the surface scum and other mulm on the rocks and water.
Mark Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2013, 05:09 PM   #3
ValMM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via Skype™ to ValMM

There are a lot of fish that will eat the springtails, think of them as snacks for your fish.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:55 PM   #4
Clemsons2k
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Even without the lava rock you'll never get rid of all the "bugs" in an aquarium. Its a normal and natural part of them.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:53 PM   #5
Aquarist_Fist
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

I agree with what the previous posters have said. Is there any way you can learn to live with these guys? The tank looks like a great natural setup, and it will naturally attract a few perfectly harmless hitchhikers. Take it as a compliment on your tank and be happy that this is a freshwater tank. Reef tanks have some truly terrifying hitchhikers...
Pimp Club Member #313

Originally Posted by macclellan
my personal favorite is Random Capitalization. It is so Very fun and Surprising.
Aquarist_Fist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2013, 04:15 AM   #6
AirstoND
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarist_Fist View Post
I agree with what the previous posters have said. Is there any way you can learn to live with these guys? The tank looks like a great natural setup, and it will naturally attract a few perfectly harmless hitchhikers. Take it as a compliment on your tank and be happy that this is a freshwater tank. Reef tanks have some truly terrifying hitchhikers...
Please elaborate on "terrifying hitchikers
AirstoND is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2013, 04:09 PM   #7
Mark Fisher
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstoND View Post
Bristle worms, mantis shrimp, Aiptasia...
Mark Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2013, 04:48 PM   #8
Aquarist_Fist
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstoND View Post
http://www.worldwidereefers.com/foru...hiker-id-guide

The bristleworm bites, the mantis shrimp kills everything in the tank, and the zoas may contain a poison that can kill a grown man within minutes. So never complain about a few springtails in a freshwater tank.

(Of course, bristleworms can be beneficial, mantis shrimps are fascinating, and many people spend a lot of money to keep zoas, so it's all a matter of perspective. I am just making a point here.)
Pimp Club Member #313

my personal favorite is Random Capitalization. It is so Very fun and Surprising.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:30 PM   #9
Bandit1200
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

As long as you don't climb inside the tank, the bristleworms won't bite you, the mantis shrimp can't kill you, and try and refrain from drinking the zoas shakes.
Bandit1200 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2013, 02:25 AM   #10
Aquarist_Fist
Wannabe Guru

Of course not. As I said, I was just making the point that reef hitchhikers are way scarier than what f/w has to offer.
Pimp Club Member #313

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.