De-rimming a 55g
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 05-01-2013, 05:15 AM   #1
Gtdad2
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

De-rimming a 55g

I was given a 55g tank. It has no center brace and the glass is thicker than my other 55g. tank. The silicone looks to be in good condition. Would it be possible to de-rim this tank and it still be safe?
The Fraternity of Dirt #58
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...k-warning.html
RAOK CLUB #20
Gtdad2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2013, 05:32 AM   #2
assasin6547
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Probably not but if it was free and has extra thick glass (how thick?) maybe it'll work. No expert here but I'd test it outside first if derimmed.

Good luck.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:34 AM   #3
Maechael
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Could always use glass bracing along the corners and a glass center brace.
Or acrylic should work too.

~George Orwell~

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

~Charles Darwin~
Maechael is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2013, 05:41 AM   #4
steven p
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I popped the trim off of a 55, I sprayed the back white and keep it half filled.. it has an interesting look, but I'd never trust it filled as is...
Old 05-01-2013, 04:08 PM   #5
Gtdad2
Planted Member

The glass is 3/8"in. (1cm) in thickness. Great ideas. Thank you all for your input.
RAOK CLUB #20
Old 05-05-2013, 06:17 PM   #6
Mr.Eheim

Default tank trim is NOT structural

The trim/rim on the top and bottom of glass tanks offers NO structural support, and was never intended to. Is has three purposes: to aid in assembly during manufacturing, protect/hide edges of glass, and aesthetics.

So, derimming a tank will have no effect on the structural integrity of the tank. However, you might find it very difficult to remove, and those newly exposed glass edges might not have been seamed (chamfered)as well as the normally exposed vertical edges.

Cut away.
Mr.Eheim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2013, 07:41 PM   #7
thelub

PTrader: (13/100%)

De-rim it, fill it and see how much it bows. If there is only slight bowing ( a couple MM) then you're good. If you have excessive bow, you can order a new trim for ~$15. I'm thinking that 3/8" glass should hold. How tall is the tank?
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2013, 11:24 PM   #8
flight50
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maechael View Post
Could always use glass bracing along the corners and a glass center brace.
Or acrylic should work too.
This is a no no. Corner bracing is ineffective. Tanks need length-wise and/or depth-wise (front to back) support. Also, glass to Acrylic is to not be trusted. Silicone to acrylic is no where near effective as siliconing glass to glass. Also at 3/8" glass that is thicker than my 55g which is 1/4 but it has a trim brace. If you really want the rimless look I would at least do a euro brace or a center brace. The taller the tank the thicker the glass needs to be and/or bracing required. I wouldn't run her without some type of bracing though. Taller tanks present more water pressure due to water height which is what creates the bowing.
Eheim Pimp #509
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER#31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds - DIY Quad Stands

Tanks - low tech 29g
flight50 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2013, 03:59 AM   #9
Imi Statue
Planted Tank Obsessed

First off you said it has "no center brace" are we to assume it came that way from manufacturer or was it removed by someone else?

If it came from factory this way then it does not matter whether you attach one or not as it is not needed due to the thickness of glass. (manufacturer meant for it to not have one) If this is the case see * below

If it came with brace but it was removed then you "should" have one on it again. You can glue a piece of glass between the front and back to stabalize it using a bead of silicone between both ends of the brace and then applying some more under the glass piece after it dries for 48hrs.

* I would use a 4-5' piece of 2x4 placed and held straight along the front and back edges(one edge at a time) of glass and tap "up against the 2x4 with a large rubber mallet until the plastic frame releases itself from the tank. Keep working along the front and back, and ends until it pops. If hit "straight up" properly the 2x4 will force the frame to come free. Then simply cut away the silicone that you do not want.

I have used this method before and it works fine as the silicone will give way long before the glass will.

Bakshi references are always cool!
Imi Statue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2013, 04:23 AM   #10
Gtdad2
Planted Member

Correct, tank was manufactured without a center brace. But, as much as I really needed another tank (not), I decided to let this one go to a friend that really wanted it. Thanks for all the great info, however.
RAOK CLUB #20
Old 05-06-2013, 06:55 AM   #11
flight50
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Well tell your friend that just because it did not come with one, does not mean he can not increase the safety factor and add one. Adding one gives an extra insurance policy. Look at it this way. Would you prefer 55g of water in your tank or on your floor.
Eheim Pimp #509
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER#31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds - DIY Quad Stands

Tanks - low tech 29g
flight50 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.