I Messed up! - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 05-05-2013, 01:07 AM   #46
Isujustice05
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

well overstocked or not sorry that it happened bro.....hopefully you feel pretty confident as to what actually caused this and we can all learn from it and it doesn't happen again.
RAOK CLUB #95
Isujustice05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2013, 12:13 PM   #47
Steve001
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MABJ View Post
You're kidding me right? I feel like the overstocked police here, as I always get yelled at to stop telling people they have overstocked tanks.
Not kidding. When I buy a fish I have the same responsibility as I would if this were a soft cuddly puppy to keep that fish or fishes healthy.

Quote:
This tank wasn't overstocked by bioload means.
What's your reasoning?

Quote:
Shrimp have such low bio loads compared to fish.
You know this how?

Quote:
He basically had 25 fish.

In a 24g long?
I don't differentiate fish and shrimp.

Quote:
I don't think that was so bad. Unless you have some other reasoning than the amount of animals, then I don't think you've got the right idea here.

Edit* it was a cube.

He probably should have had less fish more for swimming space, not for bioload issues.

Another edit*

I noticed at some point the list changed to add more fish species.

He was overstocked, but not drastically as you said. This isn't all these fish crammed into a 12g tank.
This is how I see this situation. 166 fish and shrimp not counting snails [even the snails were near the waterline in the morning he wrote] in less than 24 gallons of water is far too many for such a small volume of water with limited dissolved oxygen. My reasoning. I subtracted an estimated 2 gallons of water displacement do to gravel making this a 22 gallon tank. Just a rough arithmetical calculation shows that each fish and shrimp had just a little over two eight oz. glasses of water containing oxygen to get them through the night. So something used up nearly all of the oxygen overnight making for a reasonable conclusion their deaths were likely do to suffocation by overcrowding. Note at this time the op hasn't been able to find another reason why for this sudden death of otherwise healthy critters. Until further information or precise cause is found I'm sticking to this conclusion.

Last edited by Steve001; 05-05-2013 at 02:05 PM.. Reason: .
Steve001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:28 PM   #48
Mumford
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Default I Messed up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
I just totaled the number of critters. That number was 166 living critters in less than 24 gallons of water.

It just baffles me that it never occurred to you this was far to much stock for such a small volume of water. There's info on the web discussing stocking. Their deaths were almost certainly cause by this morbid overstocking using up nearly all of the dissolved oxygen. I'm not sorry I'm not cutting you any slack for what you did was irresponsible plain and simple. Now that you've learned a painful lesson. When you restock keep the number of critters to no more than 10. Count in snails too.

Just be glad these weren't puppies or kittens that died
Hey stocking police calm thyself.

I've seen many many overstocked tanks before (heck I'm sure I've had one or two) and never saw anything or heard anything like this.

Overstocking can be an issue but many pull it off with success. But to say he's only allowed to put 10 something's in a 24 cube is laughable. Heck I've had more than 10 living things in a 5 gallon without issue.

20 Gallon Long - Work in Progress
Mumford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:09 PM   #49
Clemsons2k
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Steve may be a little harsh with his wording, but the man makes sense.

There were 40 fish in there and 50+ shrimp. Take out the shrimp and its still pretty overstocked. And its completely not true that shrimp don't have an impact on bioload. Lets cut the shrimp population in a quarter just for the sake of argument that they have almost no bioload. Thats still ~52 creatures living in a <24 gallon tank.

That, coupled with loss of oxygen due to the dechlorinator overdose and towel over the top of the water, is very logically the reason for all these deaths.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:30 PM   #50
Steve001
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumford View Post
Hey stocking police calm thyself.

I've seen many many overstocked tanks before (heck I'm sure I've had one or two) and never saw anything or heard anything like this.

Overstocking can be an issue but many pull it off with success. But to say he's only allowed to put 10 something's in a 24 cube is laughable. Heck I've had more than 10 living things in a 5 gallon without issue.

Fish aren't as cuddlely as puppies to be sure, but imagine if this op had caused the deaths of as many puppies as fish and shrimp. Do you think members would remain silent? I'm not the police. But the attitude seems, who cares they are just fish and shrimp and rather disposable. I feel when you buy an animal you make a contract with yourself to provide the best care and home. Did the op do this? That is the question everyone needs to ask themselves. As you've read, the op is kicking himself now and has likely learned a valuable lesson.

The number 10 wasn't meant as a commandment. It is a symbolic figure to keep critter population to a reasonable number.
Steve001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:14 PM   #51
MABJ
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (14/100%)
Default I Messed up!

All I can say is he seemed very remorseful.

I very much agree with you that people need to consider the options, think about pets before they stock willy nilly.

Perhaps he can work with us on a new proposed stock list for his tank. We'd approve, he'd have a healthy tank.
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:05 PM   #52
flight50
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

I would have to agree its overstock. Although I didn't catch the load earlier in this post. Biolod waste is one thing and bioload oxygen needs is another. Shrimp are typically more sensitive to water chemistry than anything thing else. With that said with great filtration and good water movement one can overstock but there is still a limit to that. If this was lets say a 40g breeder or a 55g the problem more than likely wouldn't exist. There is more surface area to give good gas exchange provided there is water movement at the surface.
Eheim Pimp #509
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER#31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds - Duo DIY Quad Stands

Tanks - low tech 29g
flight50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:06 PM   #53
JAYGEE
Planted Member

I think we all her what you are saying Steve, the numbers aren't exact and are a guesstimate, but I still see what you are saying and will defiantly rethink when re stocking but I do believe your 10 fish is a bit low.
JAYGEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:17 PM   #54
JAYGEE
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
Fish aren't as cuddlely as puppies to be sure, but imagine if this op had caused the deaths of as many puppies as fish and shrimp. Do you think members would remain silent? I'm not the police. But the attitude seems, who cares they are just fish and shrimp and rather disposable. I feel when you buy an animal you make a contract with yourself to provide the best care and home. Did the op do this? That is the question everyone needs to ask themselves. As you've read, the op is kicking himself now and has likely learned a valuable lesson.

The number 10 wasn't meant as a commandment. It is a symbolic figure to keep critter population to a reasonable number.

Up until this mistake on my part, water params and all fish "seemed" healthy and happy.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:17 AM   #55
Dien16
Algae Grower

Dang man i just read this now. I live on the NW side and all my tanks are near the window when the cold front came but no losses here. My yellow tank didnt have any losses and theres like 18-20 fish however many shrimps i have, 5 otos, and 4 nerites. Guppy tanks is just fine although im guilty of overstocking due to babies, and goldfish tank just loves cold weather and my new tank with the PFRs are just fine. Got em friday and they already molting!
Dien16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:36 AM   #56
JAYGEE
Planted Member

To me every one seemed fat, healthy and happy. Water params were always on point as well. His opinion is what it is and that's all it is.

Since tank is running I would say I had less than a handful of die offs. So I must have been doing something right, just sayin.

And I hate to say this bit I have euthanized a whole bunch of fluffy puppies and kittens, I may see animals differently due to my job. I still hate that most of my fish/shrimp had to die because of a stupid mistake.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:20 AM   #57
dprais1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

OMG, and I hope the bacteria are okay!! You have done a shamefull thing if the millions of bacteria (and, yes, I am certain some of those bacteria were just babies) have also perished.

100, even 200 fish and shrimps doesn't equal the horror of dead bacteria colonies.

Bacteria may not be as soft as cuddly as puppies, as enjoyable as watching fish or shrimp but they are living organisms after all. I plan to set up a 100 gallon tank in the near future with nothing but bacteria.

JUst my 2 cents made from plastic
dprais1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:50 AM   #58
MABJ
Invert Warrior

Default I Messed up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dprais1 View Post
OMG, and I hope the bacteria are okay!! You have done a shamefull thing if the millions of bacteria (and, yes, I am certain some of those bacteria were just babies) have also perished.

100, even 200 fish and shrimps doesn't equal the horror of dead bacteria colonies.

Bacteria may not be as soft as cuddly as puppies, as enjoyable as watching fish or shrimp but they are living organisms after all. I plan to set up a 100 gallon tank in the near future with nothing but bacteria.

Trolls need not troll. Lol.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:30 PM   #59
Clemsons2k
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dprais1 View Post

Unsuccessful troll is unsuccessful
Old 05-09-2013, 02:46 PM   #60
MABJ
Invert Warrior

Default I Messed up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemsons2k View Post
Unsuccessful troll is unsuccessful
Lol where's your meeme