Descent low cost regulator?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 05-05-2013, 08:10 PM   #1
Dan's85
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Descent low cost regulator?

Being a guy on a budget, I'm wanting to upgrade to a pressurized co2 system in the near future. I am looking at some of the no name regulators on ebay, and while the price is right, does anyone have any experience with any of them, or any suggestions on a descent regulator? It needs to have a solenoid and be under $100. Thanks for looking!
Dan's85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2013, 08:17 PM   #2
aquarium hippy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Dr Fosters smith has AZOO with solenoid for 84.99 it is what I use and have no issues.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...95&pcatid=9895

Jason
aquarium hippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:00 PM   #3
flight50
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

I think the Milwaukee regulator is inexpensive and comes with a bubble counter. It worked well for me for years until I upgraded. Keep an eye on your tank's psi though. I didn't and it allowed the tank to dump. But when I kept and eye on it and refilled the bubble counter when needed, it ran fine. I actually kept it as a backup.
Eheim Pimp #509
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER#31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds - Duo DIY Quad Stands

Tanks - low tech 29g
flight50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:03 PM   #4
Cyanider
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

I suggest looking at the sale threads on here, as there are many members selling reasonably priced, high quality systems. You can get a full setup with a good regulator, top notch needle valve, and a nice solenoid for $300 or less. Dunno what your price range is, so it may be better to start off with an Azoo setup. In the long run, I say it's worth the extra money because the systems other members sell will last you forever. Cheap regulators and solenoids are more prone to failure.
Cyanider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:08 PM   #5
aquarium hippy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Default Descent low cost regulator?

I suggested the azoo only because he wanted a regulator with solenoid for under $100 If you can afford a higher quality rig from the great people on TPT I suggest that rout, but I too was strapped for cash when I bought my first rig and I have had no issues from it so far (knock on wood).

Jason
Old 05-05-2013, 10:13 PM   #6
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)

I've been using ReefFanatic but just purchased a custom made one which should be arriving this week. The ReefFanatic one isn't the greatest looking thing but it's cheap and it does the job. Keep an eye out in the ForSale section since I'll be throwing it on there this week.

My second recommendation is the Milwaukee or JBJ regulators. Both are cheap and do the job.
hedge_fund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:17 PM   #7
Dan's85
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Thanks for the input guys, I will be checking the FS forum often this week.
Dan's85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:48 PM   #8
Cyanider
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

Yep, it depends what your goal is. Long term savings or short term savings. If you have the extra cash, go for quality. Otherwise the cheap units others recommended are good starter regulators that include just about all you need.
Cyanider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:32 AM   #9
Yankee
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

I bought an aquatek a while back and it hasn't done me wrong yet. For sort've long term insanity I switched the needle valve on it to a higher quality one (NV55-18). The regulator cost me about $80 and the needle valve cost about $30 for all of the parts. I also added an inline bubble counter that mounts on top of the needle valve and that cost about $15. In all I have a ~$120 regulator with adjustable pressure, precision needle valve (it helps aid against end of tank dump I've found), and bubble counter. I run it into an inline GLA atomic automizer.
Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:52 AM   #10
foster
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

I also run an Aquetek reg. I am very pleased with it. $79 on [Ebay Link Removed] You will need to buy a bubble counter though as it doesn't come with one.
foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:18 AM   #11
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Although not many will agree due to the internet rumours, but i have had no problems with either of my Milwaukee regs. For around $80 i dont think you can find better. If your budget can stretch then i recommend asking certain members on here to build you one.

“Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.” -Gary Linekar

"Some people are on the pitch! They think it's all over! It is now, it's four!" -Kenneth Wolstenholme
stevenjohn21 is offline   Reply With Quote