Jordanella floridae (american flag fish)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 05-05-2013, 04:35 PM   #1
aquarium hippy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Jordanella floridae (american flag fish)

Does anyone here have any experience with these in a heavy planted community tank?
aquarium hippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2013, 10:57 PM   #2
Chaoslord
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

They are a very passive fish at first. If you have algae issues staghorn bga or hair algae they will eradicate it. Once they run out of there food source they become highly aggressive. At least thats how mine was. I ended up taking mine back.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:22 AM   #3
m00se
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Default Re: Jordanella floridae (american flag fish)

The females are quite passive amongst themselves. I've had 8 in a 40b with no problems. Add a male and when they lay eggs the male will protect them and keep every other fish in the tank hiding. Right now I'm experimenting with 4 males and no females to see how they get along. So far with about a week without the females to harass they have settled down quite a bit and have found their hierarchy. The males are so much more colorful so I'm hoping that they will be peaceful. As far as aggressiveness and lack of constant food, I haven't seen it, but then again my tank is chock full of plants and they will nibble on the more tender leaves and duckweed. The water lettuce did not last long! I love these fish though. Super interesting.
m00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:14 AM   #4
aquarium hippy
Planted Tank Obsessed

I think I have three females and after 24 hrs in the main tank they are all pretty docile. Although my wife is determined one of them is a male. We will see how they do after they get usrd to thier surroundings. Yesterday they mostly hid out behind the rotalla indica.

Jason
Old 05-06-2013, 11:43 AM   #5
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

they will absolutely nibble on smaller plants
keeps em prett happy, but like people fish have different temperaments
Old 05-06-2013, 04:12 PM   #6
m00se
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarium hippy View Post
I think I have three females and after 24 hrs in the main tank they are all pretty docile. Although my wife is determined one of them is a male. We will see how they do after they get usrd to thier surroundings. Yesterday they mostly hid out behind the rotalla indica.

Jason
Females are pretty easy to identify. Even fry have a small black spot on their dorsal fin where it meets the posterior end of the back. Male dorsals are all one color. The best way I could describe the female is that it looks a little bit like a platty in shape whereas the male is taller and flatter and more cichlid looking.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:37 PM   #7
aquarium hippy
Planted Tank Obsessed

OK I confirmed I have two females and one smaller male. Two days now and no issues, no algae eaten eather I did observe the male being a little more fiesty today but nothing to worry about he was all bark and no bite so far. They are beautiful little fish though I hope they work out "I would hate to have to start another tank just for them" LMAO.
aquarium hippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:21 PM   #8
aquarium hippy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Update these guys srem to be getting along with tankmates and each other. They are also rating any decaying plant matter and sampling the many types of algae i seem to be soooo gokd at growing. They are beautiful and so far peaceful. Very pleased so far.

Jason
Old 05-09-2013, 03:39 PM   #9
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

To all the people saying they are aggressive....do you think they would get along with things like rainbow cichlids and firemouth cichlids?

They might be a nice idea for me to try out to eradicate my bba
Mom's Spec V:http://tinyurl.com/qjt3rw2
HybridHerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:45 PM   #10
aquarium hippy
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have them in with dwarf acaras and blue rams. I think with these guys it depends on personality of the individual and how well fed they are. Mine are in a fairly densly planted tank with lots of places to hide.

Jason
Old 05-09-2013, 05:56 PM   #11
Chaoslord
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridHerp View Post
To all the people saying they are aggressive....do you think they would get along with things like rainbow cichlids and firemouth cichlids?

Mine was hair algae worked..
Old 05-09-2013, 06:10 PM   #12
m00se
Wannabe Guru

I have all males right now (4 of them) in a 40b with 6 bolivian rams, 2 peacock gudgeons, 6 panda cories, 6 or so neon tetras that are descendants of the original 20 I had, a bumblebee goby, a trillion MTS, and half a trillion ramshorn snails. I USED to have 8 female flags in there too, but I moved them. The males seem to be getting along with other tankmates and each other just fine, now that there are no females to compete for. I wouldn't call them aggressive at all. EXCEPT when they are guarding their eggs. THEN they are holy terrors and no other fish will be able to get near their nest. Period.

So, if you need bba gone or hair algae, these little critters will do the trick. Keep in mind though, that they don't discriminate between algae and tender shoots and soft tasty plants. As I said above, the 30+ water lettuce I had in this tank slowly shrank to nothing over the course of 3-4 months. They also nibble on vesuvius, duckweed and salvia. Hardier plants like bacopa, sag, crypts, java ferns - no interest.

Cheers
Old 05-09-2013, 08:44 PM   #13
KoobLis
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridHerp View Post

They get along fine with other fishes, as long as you have the tank space. Mine didn't even touch the smallest fishes in my tank (celestial pearl danios).

The problem you will face is they will munch on any and every fine or soft plants until the plant no longer exists! I ended up giving my 2 away when after 2 weeks, my lush blyxa japonica(s) were turned into rotting pieces of stems and my eriocaulon cinerium was turned into nothing more than a piece of rot with no more than 3 needles!

If you're just looking to get rid of BBA, nothing beats a few SAE. People have mixed opinions on them. But in my experience, they get along fine with other fishes and as long as they are TRUE SAE, they will continue chowing down BBA for their rest of their life. The best thing about SAE is that they delicately prune the every spot of leaves and stems of any algae to include BBA and green slime! Or if you are not afraid to spent a little money, cobalt stiphidon gobies are real good too - but one of them can set you back $15 - $25... If you can find them.
KoobLis is offline   Reply With Quote