Mean SOB Neon Blue Dwarf Gourami
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 05-05-2013, 12:48 PM   #1
King of Hyrule
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question

Mean SOB Neon Blue Dwarf Gourami

I screwed up. I have 3 Neon Blue Dwarf Gourami in one 29G tank. I started with two, as I was a chump and trusted the kid at the LFS that said they were peaceful. The one with the brightest colors is a real mean SOB, first tearing up my guppies in my (de facto) quarantine tank, and now chasing my Cory Cats. I thought once he was in the big tank he'd be cool (like the Fonz), He's not.

Recently, at PetCo, while talking story with the Fish guy, we noticed what one of the Neon Blue Dwarf Gourami they had for sale was (very likely) female. She has all the hallmarks of female dwarf Gourami - fade colors, (almost no red), and a rounded dorsal and anal fins. I couldn't let this opportunity go to waste. I told him to bag her and took her home. Once she was in the tank she vanished into the plants.

He's my problem, I have two males, one shy and the other outright aggressive and one (very likely) female. My gut says that I should boot the jerk (with the great colors), and keep the shy male and the female. So one day I might breed them. Or really do I need to find new homes for all of them? However, maybe, I could find a new home for the shy, less colorful male and the jerk will cool down once he's the only male in the tank.

So I'm assuming I'm looking for a new home for aggressive Gourami, but what about the others?

Side note: I was thinking maybe keep one male and try to find more females. But I'm worried the color guy with his bad attitude would still be a problem no matter how many Gouramis I keep...
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2013, 02:21 PM   #2
Virto
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

DG are normally (reasonably) peaceful fish, both towards other species and each other - but males can and do often get into it if they don't have enough plants or other cover to break up sight-lines and provide a refuge.

Now, if there is a female in the tank, there's a good chance that the overly aggressive male is staking his claim on her and a large chunk of the tank. If a male is ready to mate, it can become aggressive towards every other fish or critter in the tank. Have you seen him blow a bubble nest or flare at the female frequently?

You can add more females, just don't overcrowd. Generally, a higher female to male ratio works well for most fish - it helps prevent excessive male aggression.
Virto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2013, 08:07 PM   #3
King of Hyrule
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question

So is he going to calm down, or do I have to find him a new home?

* The tank was planted just days before fish were introduced. While plants like the Amazon Sword are dominating one corner, the rest need time to grow.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:40 PM   #4
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

maybe try and find the non-aggressive one a new home, he is clearly the less dominant, and if you like the colors more on the aggressive one and the others a female... you get the point, i'd either make more hiding areas and break lines of sight or dump the non-dominant one

"Freedom is never free."
-Unknown
Live Free or Die
ADJAquariums is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2013, 10:47 PM   #5
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

i say get more plants so the tank will look different and they can find new territory of their own
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
aggression, dwarf gourami, female, male

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.