Very High Nitrite - Help! - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 05-05-2013, 07:57 AM   #16
Neptoon'd
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Thanks zorfox and puopg. I'm cultivating my patience. I am so impatient because I don't want any more losses. I noticed a new molt before I changed the water.

My second pwc brought the nitrites to maybe a 1? Anyway it was lighter purple than the crazy dark stuff I've normally been testing. I'll do another pwc (2g) in the late morning.
Neptoon'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2013, 08:57 PM   #17
Neptoon'd
Planted Member

I tested the water before the first pwc today. It was in the lighter purple, like a 1 or so. After the pwc of 2 gal the reading was still elevated. I'll do another 2 gal pwc tonight. Working on patience. Hoping to really see the nitrite levels staying low like this. The lighter purple has to mean I'm making progress. If I can keep the levels from getting back into the dark purple I'll feel like I'm making progress.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:08 AM   #18
Neptoon'd
Planted Member

Can I jump up and down for a minute? I just tested the water after my 2nd 50% pwc today. My nitrites are negligible! Not the pale blue, but a really light purple I guess. I've been feeling like Sisyphus, repeating the same task over and over and feeling like I'm not truly gaining ground. Of course this isn't a meaningless task. But you get the drift I'm sure.

Anyway, I'm not stopping now! No way! I'm going to keep doing 2x daily 50% pwc until I'm only seeing nitrates and no nitrites. And then I'll likely continue for a few days after as well. My nitrates have been holding steady and no ammonia. So I'm still a bit confused how my nitrites have remained so high despite changing all but 1gal of the water every day? I'm not dosing ferts and I don't think there is a root tab still in there.

And I'm bummed cuz I found another dead shrimp earlier. It was one of the two low grade cherries I have left. The rest are sakura and pfr grade.

More good news is I think my tds pen will arrive tomorrow! Its that or the purigen.

When I get the purigen, would it be OK to remove the carbon in my filter and replace it with the purigen bag? I would be fine with leaving the carbon bag in the tank for a while so I wouldn't lose all that beneficial bacteria right as I'm hopefully achieving balance.