Safe Phosphate level
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 05-04-2013, 08:20 PM   #1
samee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Safe Phosphate level

Hey guys, I have a phosphate and nitrate test kit. I think nitrate is useless because its an established tank?

I EI dose and Sunday is my water change day. My phosphate level is 5 ppm, so Im wondering if its safe? I think I read that 1 to 3 ppm is ideal. But since I EI dose, its suppose to be over. Im wondering if this is contribution to my bloom in diatoms and bga. I have press co2, soo water circulation, 8 hours lighting and 200+ watts of t5ho on my 45 gal.

EDIT: I cannot search as the function is broken for me.

------------------------------------------------------------
Ok so Sunday was big water change. Monday is macro day.

So Monday evening:

Nitrate - 0 to 5 ppm
Phosphate - 5 ppm

Tuesday evening:

Nitrate - 0 ppm
Phosphate - 10 ppm

Wednesday evening:

Nitrate - 0 to 5 ppm
Phosphate - 10 ppm

Thursday evening:

Nitrate - 10 - 20 ppm
Phosphate - 5 - 10 ppm

My Hens and Chicks Plants > http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...722&highlight=

Last edited by samee; 05-10-2013 at 12:03 AM.. Reason: I will update daily
samee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2013, 03:35 AM   #2
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

I would not say the nitrate test kit is useless; what are you nitrate levels at?

Algae can be caused by imbalances between phosphates and nitrates (i.e. 5 ppm phosphates, but 0 nitrates). You apparently have very high (perhaps too much) lighting over your aquarium, so it is not implausible that you have 0 nitrates, causing your algae.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2013, 05:56 AM   #3
samee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

hmm, Ill test nitrates too, hopefully before my weekly water change. Thanks for the reply.

My Hens and Chicks Plants > http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...722&highlight=

Old 05-05-2013, 01:29 PM   #4
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

5ppm phos is safe

i used to regularly get around to 12-15 ppm
Old 05-05-2013, 03:08 PM   #5
samee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
5ppm phos is safe

Thanks.

My nitrates are around 10 ppm. Really hard to tell since colours of all levels are similar.

This week I dosed at or a little below the normal EI dosing amount. I was dosing alot more than the amount before and even after 40% water changes, I think there was just too much nutrient in the water. Maybe that might have contributed to the bloom.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:54 AM   #6
cah925
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (173/100%)

I try to keep a 10:1 nitrate to phosphate level in my tank. After my weekly WC, I bring the levels up to 20 ppm nitrate, 2 ppm phosphate. Later in the week, my nitrates are 0 and phosphates 1 ppm, so I dose enough KNO3 to get 10ppm and let that ride until the next water change. Algae is almost completely gone after about 3 weeks since I started doing this.
cah925 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2013, 02:40 AM   #7
samee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cah925 View Post
I try to keep a 10:1 nitrate to phosphate level in my tank. After my weekly WC, I bring the levels up to 20 ppm nitrate, 2 ppm phosphate. Later in the week, my nitrates are 0 and phosphates 1 ppm, so I dose enough KNO3 to get 10ppm and let that ride until the next water change. Algae is almost completely gone after about 3 weeks since I started doing this.

I guess I should test it through out this week so I can get a better idea. When you say you try to keep them 10:1, do you manually add pn and pp?

Old 05-06-2013, 05:20 AM   #8
cah925
Fear the Swamp!

I dose dry ferts manually. I figured out how many grams to get 20ppm nitrate and 2ppm phosphate for my tank. If I only need 10ppm nitrate (to match the 1 ppm phosphate), I simply half the number of grams of KNO3. Some of my plants are nitrogen hogs, so that always seems to be my limiting factor.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:50 PM   #9
micheljq
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
I dose dry ferts manually. I figured out how many grams to get 20ppm nitrate and 2ppm phosphate for my tank. If I only need 10ppm nitrate (to match the 1 ppm phosphate), I simply half the number of grams of KNO3. Some of my plants are nitrogen hogs, so that always seems to be my limiting factor.
Just for the sake of curiosity, what plants seem to be nitrogen hogs?

Thank you,
Old 05-06-2013, 04:16 PM   #10
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (259/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by micheljq View Post
Just for the sake of curiosity, what plants seem to be nitrogen hogs?

Thank you,
Many stem plants, M umbrosum, etc
Old 05-07-2013, 12:31 AM   #11
samee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:

Ah, dang that requires time.

Ok so Sunday was big water change. Monday is macro day.

So Monday evening:

Nitrate - 0 to 5 ppm
Phosphate - 5 ppm

So I guess my plants devoured my phosphates. I only have the time to check levels during evenings. My lights turn off at 8 pm, I sample at 7 pm. I will do this for the whole week to give myself a better idea. Then, I might considering dosing or powder dosing the nutrients separately. I understand the demand will keep changing depending on the plant load.

Seriously though, my algae has receded (blue green and diatoms, they are still there and are a problem, but alot less than before). My plant load is alot more now so Im assuming thats why. The biggest problem next to my algae is getting the aromatica to show reds.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:18 AM   #12
cah925
Fear the Swamp!

How are you dosing now? Liquid? Do you mix it yourself or is it Seachem brand or something similar? What kind of substrate are you using?
Old 05-07-2013, 11:55 PM   #13
samee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
How are you dosing now? Liquid? Do you mix it yourself or is it Seachem brand or something similar? What kind of substrate are you using?

I bought dry mix and made my own solution. Can I actually sprinkle a little more potassium nitrate into my mix since my nitrates are low? MY substrate is normal flourite.

Tuesday evening:

Nitrate - 0 ppm
Phosphate - 10 ppm

Thanks for sticking around and helping me out, I really need it.

EDIT: I just read this on aquascaping:

"Under high light, and nitrate limitation and excess phosphate, Limnophila aromatica will display purple/red/pink hues on its leaves. "

What the heck these are the exact same conditions Im seeing so far, minus the colour. And thats what Im trying to find out, whats wrong with my mix.

Old 05-08-2013, 02:47 PM   #14
micheljq
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
5ppm phos is safe

12-15ppm of phosphates? You must mean nitrates no?

I try to keep my PO4 at 1ppm but it did go at 5ppm lately, I do not know why (it's the second time it occurs in 2 months). I am now reducing PO4 fert for a while. NO3 were at 5-10ppm lately.

Michel.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:00 PM   #15
cah925
Fear the Swamp!

Are you using KNO3 for nitrates and KH2PO4 for phosphates?
How much of each are you putting in your solution and how much water are you adding?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.