reverse osmosis system
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 04-10-2013, 01:40 PM   #1
NWA-Planted
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

reverse osmosis system

Have been toying with the idea of a reverse osmosis system. So was checking craigslist and found a amtrol system that is about 10 years old (looks brand new) looks to be a 3-4 stage system also listed was a ge 3 stage both under 40 bucks.

Any thoughts / input? The amtrol system looks nice but a quick search and I couldn't find any replacement filters for it

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
NWA-Planted is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2013, 05:28 PM   #2
beginragnarok
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

You can make a call to Buckeye Field Supply with the manufacturer model number and they can probably find out for you what specific filters and membrane you would need for it.

If you buy one used it would be in your best interest to replace all the filters and the membrane. At the same time sterilizing/cleaning it where appropriate. Just to know for sure where you stand. My new system with an auto shut-off and a poly drum for storage was about $200, I know there is a gap there in price but just figured better to share than to hoard information. Let me know if you want more info.

-Zach
Emersed Tub Club meber #15
beginragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:58 PM   #3
NWA-Planted
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Default Re: reverse osmosis system

Quote:
Originally Posted by beginragnarok View Post
You can make a call to Buckeye Field Supply with the manufacturer model number and they can probably find out for you what specific filters and membrane you would need for it.

If you buy one used it would be in your best interest to replace all the filters and the membrane. At the same time sterilizing/cleaning it where appropriate. Just to know for sure where you stand. My new system with an auto shut-off and a poly drum for storage was about $200, I know there is a gap there in price but just figured better to share than to hoard information. Let me know if you want more info.

-Zach
Gives me a good place to start, long as I can get replacement filters etc a used one doesn't worry me to much.

Thanks for the information

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
NWA-Planted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:06 AM   #4
lambchops
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I bought one used off craigslist and I had to replace all the filters and add a bunch of stuff on. So in the long run I spent about as much as I would have to get a new one. Bulk Reef Supply sells great setups.
lambchops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:48 PM   #5
Adam C
Algae Grower

PTrader: (24/100%)

I use the Bulk Reef Supply 5 Stage Plus. It runs about $200 but I have never had any issues with it.
Adam C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:32 AM   #6
BuckeyeFieldSupply
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Used system can be ok, but here are some things to think about:

Find out the history of the unit. When was the last time EACH of the filters, including the membrane was changed.

How long has the system been sitting around unused? Membranes should be used at least once a week.

More often than not, you'll have to start by replacing all the filters.

Sanitize the system before you install new filters

On a 10 yr old system assume that you'll have to at a minimum, lube the orings. But you'll probably need to replace the orings. Unless you know the brand of the housings (not the vendor who put their name on the system), your unlikely to be able to buy the orings from an RO vendor. You'll have to got to a gaskets/oring vendor locally with your orings and housings in hand.

If the system has clear housings, look them over very closely for cracks, chips, deep scratches. If you find any, replace the clear housing.

Russ

Last edited by BuckeyeFieldSupply; 05-04-2013 at 10:45 AM.. Reason: edit
BuckeyeFieldSupply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:33 PM   #7
Steezy B
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

http://filterdirect.com/product_info...products_id=29
i bought this one last week, so far it has worked pretty well. I just ordered a TDS meter so idk how much tds it actually removes but GH/KH was 0
Steezy B is offline   Reply With Quote