safe plastic plant anchors
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 05-03-2013, 07:10 PM   #1
Dolfan
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

safe plastic plant anchors

I have been searching for some plant anchors online so I don't have to use fishing line etc to anchor them. Most places sell the lead plant anchors and I have been skeptical of putting lead in my tank as I have shrimp and don't want anything leeching into the water. I found some plastic ones on a website and I thought I would share.
http://www.aquariumplants.com/Produc...r1325&CartID=1

They are a flexible plastic disc that you insert the plant stems into. Since they are flexible they won't pinch the stems too much. You can just pile some substrate or gravel around the disc to hide it or it may be useful for plants that can't be "planted" and need exposed roots. Real cheap too, $1.89 for a pack of 4. Also I called and placed my order over the phone as they website rounds your total up to $15 for small orders. Over the phone, they only charged me $2 for shipping since they are lightweight and small.

Dolfan
Dolfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2013, 08:00 PM   #2
WheeledGoat
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

nice! thx for the report on calling them - i wouldn't have tried that.
WheeledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2013, 08:23 PM   #3
Neptoon'd
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

I saw those in a lfs yesterday. I meant to buy a package to try out. But then I got distracted and forgot. I'd be interested to hear how they work for you after you get them.
Neptoon'd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2013, 08:38 PM   #4
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)
Default Re: safe plastic plant anchors

Some people like them. They never worked for me and I gave mine away.

They are buoyant and tend to float up regardless of how much fluorite I piled on top.

They are not small and if you need denser planting you have to stagger them on top of each other. That makes them float up even more.

They are light ivory color and I always saw an edge here and there.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2
Old 05-04-2013, 03:49 AM   #5
Mark Allred
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I'm with OVT, I didn't like them either.
If you want to try them, you can make your own from the bottoms of small drinking water bottles. A judiciously placed rock can be a big help, until roots take hold. I went with EcoComplete substrate, and the plants stay anchored very well with it.
Mark Allred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2013, 04:17 AM   #6
Big Dog
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

I use this all the time. Well worth the money. Just cut the middle as big as you need it to be. The plants will slowly push them off. Once this happens. You just wash them off and reuse them again. You will save money in the long run.
Big Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2013, 09:37 PM   #7
Dolfan
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Ok, so I received the anchors in the mail today, and just got done using them to plant a few things. First off they are NOT buoyant as OVT stated. Alone they sink right to the bottom of my tanks. They are flexible and rubbery perhaps made from a silicone like material. I used them to plant 2 things, some anacharis and bacopa. The anacharis they pulled right to the bottom and didn't require any gravel to be placed on top of the disc. The bacopa must be more buoyant as it would float up a bit. I moved a small bit of gravel onto the disc and problem solved. They seem easy to use and so far I'm happy with them. You can easily cover the disc up so you don't see anything exposed. On the package it specifically says "non toxic" and "FDA food contact safe material". I used to run restaurants and this means the FDA has approved this stuff for any food use, i.e. you could make drinking cups or plates out of them if you wanted and would not leach any chemicals or bad stuff into food. That's good enough for me and IMO, much better than the lead weight strips sold commonly for plant anchors.

BigDog, How do your plants push them off? It seems like the roots would grow underneath and then the plant would be on the top side so seems like it wouldn't be able to free it self. Maybe I'm just confused. If they are reusable even better.
Dolfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2013, 10:35 PM   #8
Big Dog
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

It works like our body does. When we get object that does not belong in the body. The body wants to push it out. The plants will push it down and away from it self over time.
Big Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2013, 01:38 PM   #9
WheeledGoat
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptoon'd View Post
I saw those in a lfs yesterday. I meant to buy a package to try out. But then I got distracted and forgot.
i'm so glad to hear this happens to others and not just me! there's so much to distract you at a lfs, isn't there?!!?
WheeledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
plant anchor safe plastic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.