Pickle Jar Tank Build - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 04-17-2013, 12:22 AM   #16
Scottyhorse
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maechael View Post
With the little containers such as this, Though you can put fish in them, it's usually better to not do so, since on average, they are only about 6" in diameter, that's not a lot of swim space honestly.

Shrimp maybe, I've yet to put any in one, but have seen some nicer ones, that have made me contemplate doing it. Snails and plants are all I'm willing to do until I can set a true schedule for water changes, like 50-60% a day. and that's with Heavy plant levels, like 20 times plant mass to fish mass.

Going to try another Jar project tonight, thinking snails and DW wrapped with Java moss.

Hope your little guy is happy and healthy.
Currently I am changing 50% every night, and it is cycling nicely. Now that he's swimming right again I will be moving him to a larger tank when I get the heater. If I didn't have gold barbs in my 25 I would put him in there.

I'll be putting pink ramshorns and maybe some yellow neo shrimp once the betta is in his new home.
Scottyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2013, 06:37 PM   #17
Maechael
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Those shrimp will be a snack for your Betta, at least babies will be.
50% sounds good for him, are you checking temps, and ph? As swings in that will make him more susceptible to disease than poor water conditions.

Best of luck with this.

Think I might start a thread on my jars, once the weather stays warm consistently.

~George Orwell~

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

~Charles Darwin~
Maechael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:23 PM   #18
Scottyhorse
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maechael View Post
Those shrimp will be a snack for your Betta, at least babies will be.
50% sounds good for him, are you checking temps, and ph? As swings in that will make him more susceptible to disease than poor water conditions.

Best of luck with this.

Think I might start a thread on my jars, once the weather stays warm consistently.
I would put the shrimp in once the betta is in his new tank. Speaking of which, I ordered the tank and heater, though shipping is going to take a long while.

Temp is 76, PH 7.6. Hmm just noticed that's a little weird.

Start a thread for sure! I'd love to see them.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:04 PM   #19
Knotyoureality
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

One of the main ways I evaulate a pico tank/planted vase for stocking fish is to determine the min/max swim length in relation to their body length.

A 3" fish in a 24" long tank has 8x their body length.

A .5" fish--such as my endler males--in a 5" diameter bowl has 10x their body length available. Notch that down to 4" at substrate level and 1 inch above the midpoint and you still have that same 8x ration.
Knotyoureality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:33 AM   #20
Scottyhorse
Planted Member

Interesting. But I am kinda confused lol
Old 04-28-2013, 02:09 AM   #21
Maechael
Planted Tank Obsessed

A bit haha, but it sort of makes sense.
So any updates here?

I'll be starting the thread for my jars some time next week I think.

~George Orwell~

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

~Charles Darwin~
Old 04-28-2013, 07:17 AM   #22
Aquarist_Fist
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotyoureality View Post
One of the main ways I evaulate a pico tank/planted vase for stocking fish is to determine the min/max swim length in relation to their body length.

A 3" fish in a 24" long tank has 8x their body length.

A .5" fish--such as my endler males--in a 5" diameter bowl has 10x their body length available. Notch that down to 4" at substrate level and 1 inch above the midpoint and you still have that same 8x ration.
In theory that may be true. In practice, if the .5" fish swims as fast as the 3" fish, 5" diameter isn't nearly as good as the 24" tank.
Pimp Club Member #313

Originally Posted by macclellan
my personal favorite is Random Capitalization. It is so Very fun and Surprising.

Last edited by Aquarist_Fist; 04-28-2013 at 10:33 AM.. Reason: Comma
Aquarist_Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:57 AM   #23
Soup12
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (66/97%)

seriously a pickle jar lol. Very resourceful
Soup12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:00 AM   #24
dtejeda.arias
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Recycling at its best! Great idea

Thanks for your time
Danny Tejeda
dtejeda.arias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:59 PM   #25
Maechael
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well I measured my jars, turns out it's about 8" at the widest point, but mine is also a restaurant sized container, Think that's what the OP used as well.

Would still like to hear any update info on this project.

~George Orwell~

~Charles Darwin~
Old 05-03-2013, 08:12 PM   #26
Scottyhorse
Planted Member

SO quick update. Didn't know so many people were interested!
I moved the betta out, and all my RCS and my single amano into the jar. Plants are growing well, and the betta is happy to be in a larger tank!
Once the plants get bigger I think I am going to start another with a different type of shrimp till I get my mini fish room going.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:00 AM   #27
JeremyM
Algae Grower

I'd have to say that shrimp are ideal inhabitants for an established, well planted bowl. Their bioloads are MUCH lower than any snails I've ever seen (save perhaps 'mini ramshorns', adult shell size 2-4 mm diameter by 1 mm thick). Cherries and their varieties are surprisingly hardy and in these types of setups, don't require a filter nor a heater, and you won't have to worry about fluctuations in water perams since, if done right, the system is so perfectly balanced you'll only have to top off.
JeremyM is offline   Reply With Quote