GH/KH and Flourish Excel questions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 05-04-2013, 01:45 AM   #1
Neptoon'd
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Question

GH/KH and Flourish Excel questions

Hi all. I just bought a GH/KH test kit yesterday and am trying to learn about these values.

I have a 5g cherry shrimp tank. I'm getting a value of 2 kh and 4 gh.
I also have a 14g community tank. In it I'm getting 5kh and 7 gh.

The water is all from the tap. I've been fighting a nitrite spike (0/2-5/10) in the shrimp tank and doing 50% pwc 1-2x daily for several days now. The 14g is holding steady at 0/0/5-10. I started dosing Flourish Excel in the 14 yesterday, so only 2 doses so far. Is this the reason for the differences in kh and gh between the two tanks? And if so could I use the Excel in the shrimp tank? And is that something I would have to wait to start for after the nitrite spike is over? I don't want to exacerbate that issue.

They both have only gravel for substrate and would be considered lightly planted at this point. I'm trying to figure out what would raise my gh for the shrimp tank. And are those values fine for my fish in the 14? I don't have my TDS meter yet, but it is on its way.

TIA
Neptoon'd is offline   Reply With Quote