Why you should have backups
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 05-03-2013, 10:23 PM   #1
puopg
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Why you should have backups

Hey all,
Something I wanted to make a post on since its an issue that I am currently dealing with. I wanted to go over what happens when things just seem to not go your way in terms of equipment. Last week, I managed to break 3 things: My lily pipes, both inflow and outflow, and the impeller shaft for my filter. Needless to say, not a good start to the week. I had to rush out and get another outflow pipe, but the problem is, the one I got does not provide the current I need for good distribution. However, there is some good news to this entire story.
What I wanted to go over today and hear about others' experiences with catastrophes of any kind they have had in this hobby. How did they deal with it? Were you prepared? Could you have prevented it? I can say that I was lucky this go around since I was planning a 2nd tank and had backup pipes, a second, although much older, filter with a brand new impeller.
For me, I was lucky that I had backups for everything. However, even with it, I can see that due to my lack of good surface agitation + CO2 distribution, BBA is starting to regain its foothold. And this is within a week. I believe that having a few backups such as a simple HOB or spare powerhead can really benefit one in a time like this. They don't need to be exact versions or even as strong, but anything that can patch the problem until a solution is found can truly be a lifesaver. Share your stories!
puopg is offline   Reply With Quote