Seeking a gentle introduction to snails - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 05-03-2013, 07:09 AM   #16
mistahoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Seeking a gentle introduction to snails

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
I've recently noticed a Micro version of a Ramshorn that stay very small and the shell tends to lay on it's side as they feed.
Oh dear god. I think I have what you're talking about. I have no clue how I got it in all my tanks. My 1.5gal doesn't even use the same water source nor does it come in contact with any other tank. Here's a link to a video of a few in my 1.5gal that I've wiped out. They look like ramshorn but their shell stays sideways

http://static.photobucket.com/player.../VIDEO0081.mp4

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.
SunSun Pimp #82|RAOK Club Member #89|Eheim Pimp #543

210G|1.5G Iwagumi DSM|5G Fluval Chi
mistahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2013, 01:22 PM   #17
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gSTiTcH View Post
I am also a fan of Ramshorn snails.....They are the litmus test for my overall tank health.
Great comment! I find the more I try to develop color strains that breed true, the slower they reproduce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistahoo View Post
Oh dear god. I think I have what you're talking about. I have no clue how I got it in all my tanks. My 1.5gal doesn't even use the same water source nor does it come in contact with any other tank. Here's a link to a video of a few in my 1.5gal that I've wiped out. They look like ramshorn but their shell stays sideways

http://static.photobucket.com/player.../VIDEO0081.mp4
So far I'm not considering this sp. a problem, they are getting in the tight spots and don't a nice job of cleaning.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:58 PM   #18
thelub

PTrader: (13/100%)

I thought those small sideways ramshorns were just the juvenile version. I see those all over, but never see bigger versions, so I assumed they changed as they grew older.......
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:24 PM   #19
ohbaby714
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (118/100%)

I use to hate snail also, but after a couple of years keeping shrimps; IMO, they are the best ever for plants tank. MTS keep my substrate cultivating, the rams horn keep my glass clean and clean up left over foods. I never have to scrape/clean my glass.
They are the perfect clean up crews. And just like everyone mention, with less left over foods, it will be less of them around. Very easy to control if you can stop over feeding.
Add some assassin snails for additional control and eco system will be more balance with these guys.
ohbaby714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:21 AM   #20
Neptoon'd
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Thank you ohbaby.

At this point I'm fairly confident I am not over feeding. And now I have a glass dish to feed from, so it is really easy to get old food out if it isn't consumed. But I guess lots of people probably think they aren't overfeeding when they really are. I am feeding every other day a very small amount that would be eaten in a couple of hours for the shrimp and maybe 30 minutes for the fish to demolish an algae disk. The rest of the time they are left to graze on whatever they could find in the tank. Is that too often or not often enough?

I keep seeing everyone mention overfeeding as a reason to get ramshorn or mts. So if you feed very sparingly then snail population wouldn't ever be an issue? Or would they just breed more slowly if they are having to scavenge more rather than eat leftovers?

The balance of the eco system makes total sense to me. It really does, and maybe I'll cave and see what happens with some ramshorn or mts. It will just take some time for me to warm up to the idea. It may sound funny or weird, but the "crushing" against the glass thing would make my skin crawl. I'd have to ask my BF to crush them for me, he spends his days pit tagging or cutting otoliths out of salmon. I'm not sure I could convince him to do it on an ongoing basis though. He hasn't shown much interest in my fish infatuation. I think nothing will be able to compete with his beloved salmon, lol.

I know this is a very subjective question. But about how fast would say 5 pond snails, 5 ramshorn and 5 mts become 20 each? Just a random set of numbers. If they don't make sense, feel free to explain it with what does make sense for you. Basically, I want to know how quickly they multiply. Assume "average" tank conditions where there isn't lots of food left over, assuming that is "average".
Neptoon'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:16 PM   #21
longgonedaddy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptoon'd View Post

I know this is a very subjective question. But about how fast would say 5 pond snails, 5 ramshorn and 5 mts become 20 each? Just a random set of numbers. If they don't make sense, feel free to explain it with what does make sense for you. Basically, I want to know how quickly they multiply. Assume "average" tank conditions where there isn't lots of food left over, assuming that is "average".
In less than a month, you'll go from having a few, to contemplating population control.
longgonedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:28 PM   #22
MABJ
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (14/100%)
Default Seeking a gentle introduction to snails

If there is no food left over, you'll have a population that your tank can sustain. Could be 20, could be 40. But that isn't what is important. They're alive because they're eating something, no?

I predict you'll love the whimsical side of snails. They're pretty neat.
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:32 PM   #23
Edub
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

If you like nerite snails couldn't you just get 1 of each species so they won't breed and lay eggs? It's possible that you could buy one that's already preggers but for the most part I think they won't lay many eggs if they can't make them in the first place, right?
Edub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:20 PM   #24
Neptoon'd
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by longgonedaddy View Post
In less than a month, you'll go from having a few, to contemplating population control.
Check you out! Trying to scare me after all the convincing everyone else has worked at, lol. Seriously, that is what I am afraid of though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MABJ View Post
If there is no food left over, you'll have a population that your tank can sustain. Could be 20, could be 40. But that isn't what is important. They're alive because they're eating something, no?

I predict you'll love the whimsical side of snails. They're pretty neat.
Whimsical? That does sound neat. I see the logic. Your probably right though about me learning to love them. I generally like all sorts of critters, some I just admire from a distance. I'm warming to the idea. I just have to decide which tank to "sacrifice" to testing out the snails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edub View Post
If you like nerite snails couldn't you just get 1 of each species so they won't breed and lay eggs? It's possible that you could buy one that's already preggers but for the most part I think they won't lay many eggs if they can't make them in the first place, right?
It is my understanding that nerite can not reproduce in freshwater. They will however lay clutches of white eggs. That is what I have been told. I bought one nerite the other day. It hasn't laid eggs yet, just been busy eating biofilm on the sides of the tank. I showed my daughter pictures of the different nerite and she wants a horned one. I haven't shown her pictures of the pretty purple and pink ramshorn though. I already have pink substrate in my 14g. :/
Neptoon'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:53 AM   #25
longgonedaddy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptoon'd View Post
Check you out! Trying to scare me after all the convincing everyone else has worked at, lol. Seriously, that is what I am afraid of though.
didn't mean to scare you. I've enjoyed having snails(and other critters) in my tanks since I accidentally introduced them when I was 10. I was mad about the snails, but then, somehow, the algae gradually disappeared from the glass, and even with a zealous-feeding 10 year old me, there was a lot less junk on the bottom of the tank. Now, 31 years and a lot of fish and aquariums later, I still want them in my tanks, because I still tend to overfeed and I still hate scraping glass.
longgonedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:08 PM   #26
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Keep the term OVERFEEDING in perspective.

A 40 gl tank with spot & hair algae everywhere and two ramshorns...is "over feed". Think if it as Total food supply NOT just flakes your fish or shrimp didn't eat.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote