Flower Shrimp
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 04-28-2013, 01:47 AM   #1
Kudaria
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

Flower Shrimp

How do people supplement feed their flower shrimp? Do you just add algae powder to the water or is there another method people prefer.

I just got two young flower shrimp today and want to make sure they do well. Both are currently exploring around the tank and faning both over the substrate and in the water. One even discovered the repashy super green that's out for my fish and is hovering over it...I'm not sure if it's eating some or just standing over it though, I don't seen it's fans out.
Kudaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2013, 02:26 AM   #2
Searchlights
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I went out and bought a small powerhead just for my 2 they sit on my sword leaves for hours just fanning and eating everything they catch. And they've been happy and healthy for about a year id assume you could just add the powder to whatever flow source you have that they fan on

55g planted, with bosemani, turquoise, and Australian rainbows.
40g low light, yellow neocaridina, tetra tank.
55g mbuna tank
Dirt<3

God formed Man out of dirt from the ground and blew into his nostrils the breath of life. The Man came alive - a living soul-- Genesis 2:7
Searchlights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:44 AM   #3
someoneishere
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)

I got 3 in my tank and they just sit on the heater fanning from the output of my canister. Didn't really feed anything special to them and they are doing well.
someoneishere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:35 AM   #4
Kudaria
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

Alright so much for my concerns about the flower shrimp getting enough to eat...now I'm worried about my fish managing to get some food with the two flower shrimp guarding it. Btw if anyone is interested flower shrimp like Repashy's Super Green. Very small bits of it fall off in the glass feeding dish I use and the flower shrimp hang around the cube and sweep the bottom of the dish for the fine bits that fall off. Unfortunately my fish aren't too happy with the situation as the (rather huge to them) shrimp usually bracket the cube of super green.
Kudaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:53 AM   #5
ChadKruger
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

I've had same one for more than a year now. I never do anything special it sits on a log that gets a lot of current from my power head. The tank is heavily planted and 99% he just sits there and fans the water. What he does when the lights are out I have no idea. He regularly molts and when I add the bacteria supplement during water changes he seems to like that. Otherwise he's a cool little critter that needs for very little.
ChadKruger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:22 PM   #6
Hmoobthor
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

i keep a couple speices of filter feeding shrimp...lost a few over the months/year i keep them...

found out, too clean of a tank is a very bad thing for them..

so i order food that pretty much float in the water column and spread around during feeding...

make sure u have current: powerhead, spraybar, filter output and have some type of wood or plant where it can filter near the current...
Eheim Pimp Club #506
Hmoobthor is offline   Reply With Quote