125g w/ 40g breeder sump. high tech, in wall-goodness - Page 9
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 04-27-2013, 12:06 PM   #121
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgd View Post
I haven't read back far enough to know exactly what you have set up, but if you have a gate valve on your drain pipe you can close it until it runs completely full and sucks no air. You will want a second drain that can allow for some fudge room... if the water isn't draining through the main drain quickly enough it can go down the secondary instead.

Here is an example of my overflow. The main drain is the one that is completely submerged with the black triangular screen on it. The next drain over is the secondary drain which usually has a slight trickle of water going down it. This drain regulates the water height in the overflow. The last drain on the right is a straight up emergency drain and is capable of handling all the flow if the first two drains are completely clogged.

Because the main drain is adjusted with a gate valve, it is completely full of water and the end of it is submerged under water. No air goes in so none comes out and it is completely silent. The trickle in the secondary drain is hardly audible as well.
i think that is what's considered a "herbie" style drain. Unfortunately, I can't set that up unless I keep the drain on one overflow and the return on the other.

I guess what I have is more or less a commercial durso style which introduces air to prevent the up and down of water in the overflow.

the tank itself is a predrilled aqueon, so there is an overflow about center of each "half" of the tank.

Old 04-27-2013, 03:38 PM   #122
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

I saved a thread a while back that showed how to make a bubble trap on the drain. The little holes you put on the horizontal part of the drain don't seem to be venting air well, maybe something like this would work better? I wouldn't want to drain to air either, talk about degassing! I also used to burp horizontal runs of tubing as they collect noisy air bubbles. Getting rid of those dips would have been a better solution of course! Maybe the combination of this plus the Durso would be acceptable. I do love my Herbie though. Reading through the Reef Central Herbie thread one can find examples of Herbies with double overflow boxes and google of the site comes up with 55K hits.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=117264

Try blocking one of the returns on each pair to see if you like the flow better. If you put on anything you will reduce flow, don't want that. Getting rid of as much tubing and sharp angles on the returns as you can will pay off as well.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:41 PM   #123
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

So that's kinda what I've got going, just twice the size.

I feel like I need some sort of vent along the tubing itself.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:56 PM   #124
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

switched to corrugated pond tubing, 1.25" pvc and T, stuffed some filter foam under the pipes entering the sump. most of the bubbling noise is now gone. I'm thinking of upgrading to a large tube though.

most of my noise now is water movement in the tubes, and this:

I think i might pick up some 1.25" pond tube, like the other stuff i have. I only saw it in the local Lowes by my house. I checked the one near work as well as the home depot and they only have 1". I think I may run 1.25" pond tubing into a 1.25" barb adapted to a 3" T and hang it on the side of the sump and see how that goes.

i think the reducing barb adapter is causing too much restriction/agitation resulting in a ton of noise.

and here are some current shots of the basement itself. we're just a few weekends away from being done. finally

Last edited by scapegoat; 04-29-2013 at 12:09 AM.. Reason: pictures
scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:24 AM   #125
j03yYunG
Planted Member

PTrader: (40/100%)

nice job on the remodeling. Plants yet?
j03yYunG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:19 PM   #126
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by j03yYunG View Post
nice job on the remodeling. Plants yet?
nope!

still working on plumbing. I've decided to waste all the money i've spent on the tubes and went with pvc. it's much quieter w/ 45 degree turns slowing the flow a bit and no reducers.

i've glued a pvc coupling right to a small section of tube that connects to the overflow kit's barb. the one side is complete, i'll glue up the other tonight i think and plan the return pvc a little better to clean up the area.

after that I need to measure and plan the baffles for the sump. I'm debating on a refuge area still. The heater I have is a 400w marineland. it's too big! and doesnt heat the water enough to reach 80. so i'm thinking of biting the bullet and purchasing two smaller heaters and trying to sell the 400w second hand.

slowly getting there. this month will be slow on any more progress past that. having just paid for a wedding WHILE renovating our basement hurts the wallet.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:33 PM   #127
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

i cut all my noise by upgrading pipe size.
on my 75, its a 1.5 inch vinyl tube drain with one smooth bend. it also cut co2 usage in half over the 1 inch drain.

wet web media has info on drain sizing for GPH ratings, and the effects on noise.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:44 PM   #128
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
i cut all my noise by upgrading pipe size.
on my 75, its a 1.5 inch vinyl tube drain with one smooth bend. it also cut co2 usage in half over the 1 inch drain.

wet web media has info on drain sizing for GPH ratings, and the effects on noise.
the overflow kit came with a 1.25" barb for the overflow. I originally had that to an adapter to bring it down to a 1" which is a more common size. i think most of my air issues and noise were caused by this part.

I'm running 2 45 degree angles on both returns to a slip T to turn down 90 and allow air to vent up. once i get under the water I turn another 90 to go parallel with the sump, then a little tubing then another 90 straight up. so this acts as a really nice "trap" and prevents a lot of air from continuing and slows the flow a bit.

it vents nicely and the water coming out doesnt break the water surface in the sump, and bubbling is minimal. I'm still going to put a sponge over the exits there to further disperse any bubbling.

I'll hopefully get the water running this weekend again for final setup/testing. i still need to modify the water purifier thing as a co2 reactor. that will require some dremeling... gotta find that guy and charge it up.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:23 PM   #129
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

I spent some time this past weekend getting the hard pipe mocked up, then glued.

I still need to test my co2 reactor and finalize that. It currently has a 1" id tube instead of a pvc pipe to grab the water from the bottom and allow the co2 mixing in. hopefully it works out well as I couldn't adhere pvc to the plastic of this water purifier unit.

I haven't ran water through this finished piping; yet. I am currently laying down eggcrate, then going hunting for rocks. I'll rough out the hardscape then refill with water and get things running again.

lastly, I need to figure out the baffles and filtration within the pump. I need two smaller heaters for the "refuge" area, along with the filtration media, which i'm thinking will be mainly sponge and stuffing. I don't believe i'll need tons of bio filtering considering the tank will be planted, as will the "refuge". I'll be relying on the plants themselves, as well as the bacteria on their surface, to do the biological work.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:08 PM   #130
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

just an "area" update

seeing as how the tank will be more african themed, i decided the decor of my office/lounge/scotch drinking area should also be loosely african themed.

I have 5 bags of eco complete in the tank now, on top of some eggcrate as a precautionary measure. However, I need more eco complete... i think maybe 2 more bags should do it.

and no, the chairs won't be staying... the blue one at least
Old 05-10-2013, 02:13 PM   #131
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

so the aquarium controller came in yesterday... a raspberry pi

now i just need to learn electronics... I'm planning on a dimmer and timer program as my first addition. I've a gertboard, as well, that should make things easier as it comes with a DAC, which is needed to utilize the 0-10v protocol of the buildmyled.com LED lights.

the timer will be wired into a a prebuilt power switch https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10747. I'll probably need a few of these to handle things like the co2, heater, lights, etc. For now the co2 and light will come on at the same time. perhaps as I get more comfortable with electronics I'll just get a relay board to toggle multiple relays off the same main.

I am a wee bit away from realizing this part of the project. I still need soldering, and electronics equipment. multimeter is up first... i'll begin by playing with the gertboard digital to analog conversion program and testing outputs to see what sort of amp i need to add to get the appropriate 0-10v's.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:38 PM   #132
UDGags
aka Nick

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to UDGags Send a message via Yahoo to UDGags
Default Re: 125g built in wall tank: sump plumbing done. steadily moving ahead

Looks like the same co2 unit I have... instead of PVC I used plastic like you and then bonded the two plastics... no issues so far after 3 months

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-10-2013, 05:35 PM   #133
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

what did you use to bond the plastic? i found regular PVC glue didnt do a thing
Old 06-03-2013, 02:43 PM   #134
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

still toiling away at this thing... wood is in place.

I'll be ordering the LED fixture today, and will finish cutting the acrylic for the sump baffles either tonight or tomorrow. hopefully this tank will be planted and filled within the month.

terrible picture, sorry! once the light is in place I'll be able to get a better shot.

but, the main piece of wood, on the bottom, is a 19lb piece that is probably 4' long. i've placed two other pieces of wood on it and to the side to somewhat replicate a fallen log. I'm hoping that once plants grow in it will look more natural.

not looking forward to the tannins from this wood though!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank[1].jpg
Views:	51
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	152378  

Old 06-03-2013, 03:40 PM   #135
JoeandCarrie
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

you can always soak the wood to release the tannins. if that is all you want to do, the bath tub works well. Just fill it up with as hot of water as possible, let soak for 1-2 hours, drain, repeat. Eventually, it will be noticeably clearer. The first soaks I do out side so any bugs in them stay outside. Then brush and clean the wood, and then move to the Tub for the final tanin removal.

hope it helps, I know I fought 4 months of ice tea water on my community tank because I missed one dang piece of mopani...
JoeandCarrie is offline   Reply With Quote