Noon burst and blue moon lights?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 04-30-2013, 04:05 AM   #1
ICPjuggla
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Noon burst and blue moon lights?

Might be a stupid question but how long should I have my noon burst on for? Right now I have it at 15 min. Should it be longer?

Also, I have blue moon lights how long would you all suggest me to keep them on after the main lights go out at night. Or doesn't it matter!?

Old 04-30-2013, 08:01 PM   #2
ICPjuggla
Algae Grower

Anyone?
Old 04-30-2013, 08:53 PM   #3
Steve001
Wannabe Guru

It would be about a two hour period. Just observe the Sun and use it as your guide.

Personally I don't like blue moonlights for these reasons a. Moonlight isn't blue. It is white. b. Moonlight leds are too bright to really simulate moonlight.
Moonlight is rather dim. They may even contribute to further photosynthesis.
Come the next full Moon observe your surroundings outside. You will see just how dim moonlight on the landscape actually is. But if you want to use them don't let them shine all night for these reasons. a.Flora and fauna need a dark period just like you and me do. b.Blue light can interfere with your sleeping habits. See the web for the hazards of blue light.

Now on the other hand if one would like to simulate real moon light intensity with leds I have no qualms about that. But it would be too dim to enjoy your tanks inhabitants.

Last edited by Steve001; 05-01-2013 at 12:23 PM.. Reason: x
Steve001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:04 AM   #4
Mark Allred
Planted Member

Agree with Steve001, hate the blue lunar lights. However I bought some of these, they are great. 12,000K white. They are dim enough, they do not look like they are on. You need to sit in the dark a few minutes and let your eyes adjust, and then enjoy! I think they probably help keep the fish from being startled, by things that "go bump in the night".
http://www.current-usa.com/aquarium-...s/lunar-lights
Mark Allred is offline   Reply With Quote