Is there any interest in a tank like this?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 05-02-2013, 11:31 PM   #1
Indychus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

Is there any interest in a tank like this?

This is extremely preliminary, and most of the design work still has to be completed... but this is a tank I have been working on for a while with the intentions of maybe doing a short production run some time in the next 2 years.

It includes 3/8" acrylic panels with rounded and polished corners, 1/4" internal baffling, an integrated overflow, two compartments for bio-media/filter floss/etc, and a ~300 gph pump feeding a waterfall return. Dimensions are 24L x 18D x 16T and it works out to right at 30 gallons including the built in sump.

All components would be laser cut and hand assembled. More sizes could be made available at a later date.

So, what kind of interest is there for an integrated design like this? How much would you expect this to cost?

Last edited by Indychus; 05-03-2013 at 12:44 AM.. Reason: Edit
Indychus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2013, 11:34 PM   #2
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

These are somewhat common in saltwater for frag tanks. Braceless AIO I believe they are called. Usually they are $200-$500 depending on size.
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:36 PM   #3
Say Car Ramrod
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Default Re: Is there any interest in a tank like this?

I would certainly be interested. There are some acrylic tanks that I've seen on marine depot's site and they were 200ish. One suggestion is maybe a spray bar option.

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2
Say Car Ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:14 AM   #4
DefStatic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Looks like an Aqueon Evovle... Just saying...
DefStatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:37 AM   #5
James M
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Nothing I haven't seen quite a bit of in the marine hobby - but nice just the same.
James M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:44 AM   #6
Indychus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefStatic View Post
Looks like an Aqueon Evovle... Just saying...
Well it's similar to any all-in-one type tank. The difference between our tank and an Evolve are the size, for starters, as we plan to eventually offer tanks up to 70 gallons... but also the quality and flexibility to change the setup as needed for your application. All-in-ones tend to get a bad rap as "beginner tanks" because they come packaged with cheesy lights and cheap pumps. We want to build a high end, top quality setup that is beginner friendly but robust enough for experienced hobbyists to appreciate as well.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:11 AM   #7
DefStatic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

30+ gallon acrylics? Seems like 9 times out of 10, anyone looking for a tank is told to stay away from acrylic in the first place. So why offer anything larger than an 8 gal in acrylic? Has there been recent demand/interest in larger acrylics?
Old 05-03-2013, 02:26 AM   #8
James M
Planted Tank Obsessed

We pushed acrylic very hard back in the day when I was working at the store, doesn't break, light, very clear, basically all one piece, but man I can't stand it now. I would use it on a tank larger than maybe 180 gallons because of the peace of mind (unless it was a reef, don't get me started on acrylic tanks and reefs) but nothing smaller.
James M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:16 AM   #9
Indychus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Keep the input coming! Good or bad, I want to hear it!

The design is developed enough for me to build a one-off tank for myself, but I'm trying to decide if it needs to be refined to a production-ready level or not.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:24 AM   #10
DefStatic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I just know from the forums I am a part of, anytime someone new comes along and is looking at getting a tank, especially where an acrylic is an easy option, they are told to stay away. Or I see lots of people who had acrylic praise how much better everything was going to glass.

I have an Aqueon Evolve 4, and I could not be happier with it. But I could not imagine having a 30 gal acrylic.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:53 AM   #11
82nd_Airborne
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

The main reason I have seen people stay away from acrylic for is scratching. I see this as more of a beginner problem because an experienced aquarist knows what they can clean it with. I'm assuming you would be offering the tank on sites like this where the average user is way more informed, therefore lessening the likelihood of damaging the tank. I personally love the rounded corners that acrylic offers and would be interested in one in the 20-30 gallon range depending on dimensions.
82nd_Airborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:32 PM   #12
Shawn123
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I have seen something similar called sea clear system2. I was thinking of an acrylic aquarium until I researched and everyone says how easy they scratch.
Shawn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:25 PM   #13
Clemsons2k
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

If it was glass I'd be interested. Hate how scratchable acrylic is...
Old 05-03-2013, 02:59 PM   #14
Vepr
Planted Member

I have no experience with acrylic but I have been scared off giving it a try because of warnings from others and seeing what used acrylic tanks look like with the over lapping lattices of micro scratches clouding the tanks. That can be buffed out I believe but who wants to do that once a year? I know they have their own benefits compared to glass but in this hobby one of the biggest attractions is a nice clear view of the aquascaping, flora, and fauna.

On the other hand I would be willing to consider something like that for a breeder or quarantine setup where I do not care about occasionally scratches etc. but it will have to offer something a glass setup does not have at a reasonable price.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:51 PM   #15
Absntmind
Algae Grower

Please keep us informed of your progress Indychus, as it's always nice to hear about people trying new DIY projects

I never tried acrylic myself due to scratching, but have wanted a small "all in one" setup for a while now as a second tank. Currently I am looking at the Nuvo Aquariums (4 gallon) by Innovative Marine mainly because they are glass. Yet I could always be swayed given the right setup, lol.

Good luck!
Absntmind is online now   Reply With Quote