Metaframe Deluxe 28g Planted w/Co2 Build - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 04-21-2013, 09:10 PM   #31
SeattleFishGuy
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClairemontTropical View Post
Awesome start & I agree that is a stunning piece of driftwood! WINNING!!
Thanks, the driftwood was a great find and a good price. Now i'm just waiting for it to stop leaching tanins in the water, but no big deal. I have some Purigen coming in the mail on Tuesday so that will help.

Yeah the light fixutre is great and since it's all alluminum it shines nicely. However, it's hard to fit big enough CFL's in it due to the fixture size and space I have to work with. I try and post a pic of that later. Long story short I have two 15w CFL's in there now and I think I can get two 25w CFL's in there. The only one I have been able to find that are screw in (e27) are these long narrow bulbs by JBJ called Macro-Glo 25w Refugium Lghts. I checked with the manufacture and they have 1600 lumens and should put out much more light. Hopefully that will help my lighting situation.

If that isn't enough I will go LED. My first thought is DIY LED underneath the original hood, and I might go that route if I can find a way to make the lights waterproof as there is a lot of condinsation under the hood. If that doesn't work I'll just get a nice Finnex Ray2 or something similar and remove the original hood, which will pain me to do so but I need/want good light. We will see...

Also sill trying to figure out the background, i hate it right now.

Oh all the plants are going nuts right now, roots shooting all over, nubs on the water sprite, they are loving the Co2!!!
SeattleFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2013, 11:25 PM   #32
Imi Statue
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleFishGuy View Post
Yeah I didn't think I was going to find a piece of driftwood that easy and I was thinking I might get Manzanita wood (grows around here) instead but I saw this piece and knew right away this is the look i wanted.

Because it's so massive (for my tank) I think it will make most since to have not much if anything to the right of the wood. So the wood is the focal point of the tank. I'm looking around now for similar tank layouts to get inspired.

If anybody have any pictures of tanks that would have a similar layout please let me know and send me a link...

You say Manzanita grows around here, do you mean in the wild where others can go get some branches? I am looking for some.

Bakshi references are always cool!
Imi Statue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2013, 12:05 AM   #33
SeattleFishGuy
Planted Member

yes in western WA, plenty in Monroe in sure!
Old 04-23-2013, 06:29 AM   #34
SeattleFishGuy
Planted Member

Update:

Fish:

Went to the LFS this weekend and picked up 10 Chili Rasbora. They are very small right now (1/2 inch max) and unfortunatley two of them got caught in the filter over the first night.

Luckily they were alive in the filter, hard to believe. They looked ok but i'm sure they took a beating. Also one of them looked very thin from to get go so I was worried about that one.

Anyway I wasn't sure if they got stuck because they were just too small or maybe it was because they weren't healthy to start. For the small and thin one I would say it wasn't doing well but i'm not sure on the other.

Chili Rasbora:

I took some porous sponge from a filter and put it in the Fluval 306 intake opening, making it impossible for the fish (so I thought) to enter the filter even if it was weak. Well to my surprise when i was counting fish tonight two were missing....oh oh!

So tonight I made it fool (maybe) proof by putting the sponge on the outside of the intake tube.

intake filter w/sponge cover:

Ferts and lights:

Today I received a package in the mail with some Seachem products, Excel, Prime, Neutral Regulator (low PH due to tree stump) and Purigen. I love these products and also use Flourish but didn't need any.

I also got two 25w Macro-Glo CFL 6,400k (1,600L) and they help brighten up my tank. Maybe not how I want it but better than the 15w variety. The problem i'm running into is I need CFL that is no bigger than 2'' at it's widest spot...this is due to the retro aluminum light fixture. DIY LED will be my best option but i'm worried about condensation. We will see what happens. The 25w bulbs will work for now, already seeing crazy growth in just a week since the Co2 addition.

Last Week (old lights):

Tonight (new lights and a lot of growth):

I'm going to list/update (in blue) my plants and fish at the first post

That's it for now...stay tuned.

Last edited by SeattleFishGuy; 04-23-2013 at 06:43 AM.. Reason: changes in first post reflected here.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:35 PM   #35
keithy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

pics are too dark to see the beauty of the frame.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:31 PM   #36
SeattleFishGuy
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithy View Post
pics are too dark to see the beauty of the frame.
Ha... Yeah very true. It's hard to show the lights and tank though with the lights on. Next time!
Old 05-03-2013, 04:35 AM   #37
SeattleFishGuy
Planted Member

BIG UPDATE:

Lots of changes in the last week:

So I did a large plant swap with a fellow GSAS member and now have these plants planted in the tank along with my others (I'll update the first post too)...
  • Pogostemon helferi
    Microsorum pteropus 'Windelov'
    Lindernia rotundifolia variegated
    Pogostemon erectus
    Marsilea minuta
    Staurogyne repens
    Ludwigia sp 'red'
    Subwassertang

I took all of my flora and fauna and made a clipboard list with pictures and names of everything I have since I'm bad at names of plants, especially the scientific names.

New plants lined up (sorry for bad pic, camera phone didn't focus)::

Side shot of new plants ( also have four pots of Dwarf HC and HG to sell) and added lights, I also added some wax paper as a background for now:

FTS:

Front Left:

Front Right:

Pogostemon helferi:

Staurogyne repens:

Marsilea minuta:

Lindernia rotundifolia variegated (background: Microsorum pteropus 'Windelov'):

Pogostemon erectus:

I also rewired my hood over the weekend to add two more CFL's for a total of four. you can't really tell from my low quality pics but it looks much brighter and the plants are liking it.

It was a DIY project. I had a double light fixture in my basement that we were using so I pulled it apart and had all the parts to wire it in my hood. It was perfect too because there were two small holes at the end of my hood, one I used for the wire going in and the other I mounted the switch for the light. So now it has a separate switch and I plugged it into a separate timer so it comes on an hour after my first lights and goes of an hour before. I had two of my old 15w 6,500k CFL's lying around so I used those for now. Eventually i'll get two more 25w bulbs like the others in the above post. THat will give me 100w of CFL at 6,500k. It will suffice for now even though I like a little bit more blue tint to my tank. I like the 10,000k lights color better but can't find a 10,000k CFL.

Last edited by SeattleFishGuy; 05-03-2013 at 06:57 AM.. Reason: addition to plant list
Old 05-03-2013, 04:51 PM   #38
Imi Statue
Planted Tank Obsessed

What about adding some blue LED's in a row across the front of the hood so it would show up to your eyes?
Probably would not be to pricey.

Old 05-03-2013, 05:10 PM   #39
SeattleFishGuy
Planted Member

Yeah that is a valid option but I'm not sure about having room. I think what I will do most likely is either do a complete and full DIY LED fixture in the oringal good or I will have to remove the hood and just go with a premade fixture like the Finnex Ray2 or something similar.

I've read posts about other people trying to rewire these metaframe hoods and the two biggest hurdles are condinsation and getting schocked. It's scary in that the hood is all chrome and the lights are an inch from the water with nothing in between.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:30 PM   #40
Imi Statue
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleFishGuy View Post
Yeah that is a valid option but I'm not sure about having room. I think what I will do most likely is either do a complete and full DIY LED fixture in the oringal good or I will have to remove the hood and just go with a premade fixture like the Finnex Ray2 or something similar.

I've read posts about other people trying to rewire these metaframe hoods and the two biggest hurdles are condinsation and getting schocked. It's scary in that the hood is all chrome and the lights are an inch from the water with nothing in between.
You should be able to incorporate some plastic/glass sheet into the hood if it has the lip I remember mine use to have. Metaframe tanks were simply made for a different time...

Old 05-03-2013, 05:37 PM   #41
SeattleFishGuy
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imi Statue View Post
You should be able to incorporate some plastic/glass sheet into the hood if it has the lip I remember mine use to have. Metaframe tanks were simply made for a different time...
Unfortunately that is another problem, no lip to put glass or plastic on. What others have done is to silicon glass braces on the tank so the hood can't fall into the tank as easily. I could possibly get a peice of cut glass to fit the hood but then I would need to incorporate a fan into the hood and but I don't want to start hacking it up for that, trying to keep the oringal look.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.