API test tubes... - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 05-02-2013, 01:52 PM   #16
Elyssa
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dprais1 View Post
I use a syringe instead of a test tube.

I fill it to the 2.5ml mark and then use 1/2 the drops so my 90 test kit becomes a 180 test kit
My kids got the ratios figured out...where we only use 1 drop of solution to x amount of drops of tank water for each of the tests. We just re-etched the test tubes

Last edited by Elyssa; 05-02-2013 at 01:54 PM.. Reason: typo
Elyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2013, 01:53 PM   #17
Sharpchick
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dprais1 View Post
I use a syringe instead of a test tube.

I fill it to the 2.5ml mark and then use 1/2 the drops so my 90 test kit becomes a 180 test kit
Yay! Liking this idea...
Sharpchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:57 PM   #18
Elyssa
Planted Member

Nitrate = 10 drops of tank water to 1 drop of solution...
Old 05-02-2013, 02:13 PM   #19
VAtanks
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

take one piece of scrap lumber and a 2 foot 1/4' dowel cut the rod into 16 equal pieces drill 1/4" holes in lumber stuff dowel into holes viola' test tube rack drys your tubes when not in use and u can wedge the tube right side up when being used,
VAtanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:14 PM   #20
Zorfox
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elyssa View Post
I turned (2) 55 gallon tanks into a big science/biology experiment for my kids. Testing just validates what is actually going on. There are so many different lessons to be learned and gives me a good excuse to keep buying different plants/setting up multiple tanks...all in the name of science...lol
That is too funny! A real win win situation lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elyssa View Post
Nitrate = 10 drops of tank water to 1 drop of solution...
Drop sizes vary tremendously. If you measured the amount of drops from a certain container for this calculation never change the container, otherwise the drop size will be different. Also keep it clean. The size of the drop changes if the opening gets dirty.

Example, IV tubing comes in various drop sizes. 15gtts/ml, 10gtts/ml, 60gtts/ml etc.
Zorfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:40 PM   #21
Elyssa
Planted Member

The kids figured approximately 99-100 drops per 5 ml using standard syringes. These are the ones I got when they were young for measuring medicine from the pharmacy.

They double checked their work for the various tests by using standard 5ml to whatever drops the tests called for. Then tested multiple tanks/times and came up with identical colors.
Obvious, drop size is variable depending on whether your using a turkey baster vs different sized syringes. But once you get it down all you need to do is etch new lines and forget about it.

The old ph tests back in the day, was measure 3/4 of the vial by eyeballing it and adding 1 drop. In doing that multiple times they came up with 33 drops...which checks out to the now 3 drops of PH solution to the 5 ml of water(99 drops). We had an old kit my mom had and that's why they got the whole notion of getting it down to 1 drop.

Whatever someone's using...all they need to do is figure out how many drops fills up for standard 5ml and then do the math/ratios to get it down to 1 drop. Nitrite 1 drop solution to 20 drops water(w/ syringe we use or approximately 1 ml)...it's pretty basic math conversions.

It's all good-they can test to their hearts content and I'm not wasting $$$.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:01 PM   #22
WheeledGoat
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

an awesome site is

http://sciplus.com

there's one local to me here in Chicago, but they do online orders too (there's a few scattered across the states). they have surplus of all kinds of crazy stuff, at GREAT prices, with a bend toward science stuff. if you're a DIY'er, you'll go nutz.

I just checked before posting and saw several test tubes - one was $4.95 for #50 plastic tubes, but they also have a full array of chinex (which is generic pyrex). they have a bunch of stands too.
WheeledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:03 PM   #23
Zorfox
Wannabe Guru

I agree with you about using drops. I just wanted to point it out for others that may not be aware that drop sizes vary . I think it's a good idea!
Zorfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:15 PM   #24
Elyssa
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorfox View Post
I agree with you about using drops. I just wanted to point it out for others that may not be aware that drop sizes vary . I think it's a good idea!
Too funny, when my kids (bro 14/sis 13) were counting drops...they both kept coming up with different amount for their 5 mls...using same medical syringes filling different vials. Who is right...bickering.. ..hey kids, switch vials and try it...both correct.....hmmm...the white lines are not 100% in the same spot. Good lesson on manufacturing consistency, shades not matching up for results...etc....lol...hobby grade...

So, that is when they researched drops per the medical syringes per ml...and went from there.

When my kids do their youtube video they already got the drop size aspect covered in a very humorous way. Turkey baster really gets the point across..lol
Old 05-02-2013, 11:39 PM   #25
assasin6547
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm not worried about the amount of tests I can do, just want it to be quick and easy. So I'll need to buy some generic lab tubes.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:40 AM   #26
Elyssa
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by assasin6547 View Post
I'm not worried about the amount of tests I can do, just want it to be quick and easy. So I'll need to buy some generic lab tubes.
Wicked sorry. I started another thread about saving $$ on test kits this AM.

Agree with what you said 100%. The API test tubes are really thin and easily breakable, nice when your shaking them and they are leaking, etc. Definitely worth a few extra $$ getting some heavier scientific ones.

Again really sorry, I feel like an idiot. My kids read your post this morning and had me start a thread and were curious if anybody else was doing what they were. I just wasn't paying attention. Have a good nite!
Old 05-03-2013, 01:15 AM   #27
Steezy B
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Mine leak and the 5ml line is starting to come off. I've had the test kit for less than a month -_-
Steezy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:42 AM   #28
wendyjo
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Wow I've never had a tube break and I used to test alot. And the lids seal well enough for the bit of time you have to shake them. As far as washing them - I just rinse with tap water and toss them back in the box. I'm sitting here kinda suprised that this is such an issue for some people.
wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:05 AM   #29
Aquarist_Fist
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
A lot of us have severe cases of Multiple Tank Syndrome and monitor parameters toward the final week of our usual 4-5 week "cycles" for new tanks.

And many keepers of sensitive shrimp like to keep a handle on parameters once per week. Especially those new-ish to the hobby. Those of us who aren't new to the hobby often test new batches of water we're mixing up to make sure we've maintained proper GH. Depending upon the remineralization product one uses, concentrations can fluctuate from use to use or measure to measure. So testing can become added insurance.
Yeah, makes sense. I remember I used to test much more than these days when I usually have a pretty good feel for the chemistry of my water. There are a few instances where I do some testing, towards the end of a cycle, but even then it's pretty minimal. Nitrite usually - most ammonia and nitrate I can tell from the nitrite levels. Other than that not much. I know the water parameters of my tap water, of course, and my tanks tend to be quite stable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpchick View Post
Some of the times I feel a need to test are when I add livestock, do a major rescape of the tank, add or move plants from tank to tank, or observe odd behavior from the fish or shrimp. I also keep a weekly watch on my new pond through testing.

And then there are those times when folks come to get advice on forums such as this, and the first question (if the answer is not supplied in the original post) is, what are your tank parameters?

I guess the OP may have intended this thread for all of us who are obsessive testers, huh?
That's a really good point, it's useful to know the parameters when seeking help on forums like this one.
Pimp Club Member #313

Originally Posted by macclellan
my personal favorite is Random Capitalization. It is so Very fun and Surprising.
Aquarist_Fist is offline   Reply With Quote