T. mucronatum source!... Riparium Bonsai - Page 5
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 05-01-2013, 09:44 PM   #61
jarvitron
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have a group of Heterandria Formosa that live in a 10G and four now in a small windowsill bowl. They're skittish but not jumpers, interesting hover/peck grazing behavior in a species tank but a little too timid to see in any other situation (White cloud minnows were a little too boisterous for them to get comfortable, guppies were WAY too aggressive, I assume any type of microdevario/microdanio would be OK but the larger danios might freak them out with the race/chase behavior. Watching two males track a female is quite a bit of fun. They are tiny but they will tear the legs off a full sized cherry shrimp if given the opportunity.
jarvitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2013, 09:55 PM   #62
rocksmom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
Thanks for this tip. I had wondered about those. I might have a local source for them if they are still in stock. Have you kept them in an open-top tank?
Sorry, I should have been more clear and said open top instead of rimless, but yes I have. I usually keep the water level down a little bit in all my tanks so I don't know if that helps, but I only had the one jump. The only time they seem skittish is when the lights turn off. They dart around a bit, but nothing too bad.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:35 PM   #63
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (141/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksmom View Post
Sorry, I should have been more clear and said open top instead of rimless, but yes I have. I usually keep the water level down a little bit in all my tanks so I don't know if that helps, but I only had the one jump. The only time they seem skittish is when the lights turn off. They dart around a bit, but nothing too bad.
Thanks again. Maybe I should just get those. There is a local guy with an online store--I can go over there and pick up fish--who had them for just a couple bucks each. I'm still trying to decide which substrate to use. I think those little green fish would look best against a dark substrate.
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:58 AM   #64
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Here are a couple more quick shots.

I love the foliage on the Montezuma cypress.

I might stick the buttonbush in this tank if there is room with the other plants that I want to add. I think it looks good with the cypress. I remember seeing buttonbush in a cypress swamp in Florida, so it's a nice biotope representation, too.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:05 AM   #65
oldpunk78
ಠ_ಠ

PTrader: (106/100%)

Slowly but surely... lol
oldpunk78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:49 AM   #66
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpunk78 View Post
Slowly but surely... lol
This project is coming along faster than most of my setups do. I like small tanks like this without extra complications.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:32 PM   #67
Pablom
Algae Grower

Nice tank Hydro.

What kind of filtration are you going with? Submersible?
Old 05-02-2013, 08:53 PM   #68
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablom View Post
Nice tank Hydro.

What kind of filtration are you going with? Submersible?
Thanks a bunch.

This tank is going to have a very light bio-load. I might use either a real small submersible filter or an airstone to just move the water around a little bit.

Just this morning I got my Lysimachia nummularia with a plant order. I think this will work well as a carpeting riparium plant in this setup.

(Wikimedia Commons image: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...ularia_002.JPG)
Old 05-03-2013, 02:45 PM   #69
All your base
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I can see this being a really cool sub-genre. Imagine a Yose-ue style grouping of one species of trees above water, and a "matching" grouping of driftwood below the water.
All your base is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:37 PM   #70
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by All your base View Post
I can see this being a really cool sub-genre. Imagine a Yose-ue style grouping of one species of trees above water, and a "matching" grouping of driftwood below the water.
I think it might look good in this setup to use a couple of slender manzanita branches with curves similar to the cypress tree but somewhat shorter that would be positioned to rise up out of the water in the midground.

I might also consider some small cypress knees.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:48 AM   #71
JeremyM
Algae Grower

First off let me say that this is a fantastic idea, and I'm incredibly glad that someone with the know-how is going after it! I'd played around with this idea but have always dismissed it before I could get to excited over it, as I don't have any experience with the art of Bonzai growing (YET). It's amazing to me how quickly this plant is progressing through the stages, especially that it didn't seem to be phased at all by all the trauma it's been through. You must really know what you're doing!

I really do think that formosas would be the perfect fit for where I think you want to go with this tank. I've never had problems with one jumping before, but it should be noted that their true behavioral beauty and uniqueness shines through best in a species tank (certainly not with larger quick and nippy fish) with plenty of cover for them to feel secure in. Though they're quite diminutive, they're the kind of nano fish that is always active doing something interesting but not in a dartlike manner; rather, they spend their time puttering around. they're not schoolers either, so each has its own individual plan of action to carry out. I think they're much more interesting in that sense than other nanos, as they seem to spend their time curiously exploring rather than in a perpetual state of nervous, twitchy paranoia... now, of course, that can be a good behavior as well, but I feel the behaviour of formosas would much better fit the vibe of this tank. Personally, I think their activities would emulate the swimming pattern and behavior of larger fish that would be found prowling the root systems of overgrown riverbanks with either unbelievable accuracy or a somewhat farcical leer that makes us laugh at ourselves for ever considering the two alike.

then again, I've only seen the thing empty with the beginnings of a bonsai in it so I really can't tell what you have planned!

here's a link to a video (not mine) demonstrating a little of what I was talking about.
at times they actually remind me a little bit of pea puffers in certain movement-related behavior. (ie, they can swim backwards!) There are two main color morphs, the black barred/striped one (that would be striped and/or barred, they may exhibit only stripes or bands or both) and the 'gold morph', which is pale gold in color and sports little pattern. I hope this helps you decide, and I'll definitely keep an eye on this thread!
JeremyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:54 PM   #72
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyM View Post
First off let me say that this is a fantastic idea, and I'm incredibly glad that someone with the know-how is going after it! I'd played around with this idea but have always dismissed it before I could get to excited over it, as I don't have any experience with the art of Bonzai growing (YET). It's amazing to me how quickly this plant is progressing through the stages, especially that it didn't seem to be phased at all by all the trauma it's been through. You must really know what you're doing!

I really do think that formosas would be the perfect fit for where I think you want to go with this tank. I've never had problems with one jumping before, but it should be noted that their true behavioral beauty and uniqueness shines through best in a species tank (certainly not with larger quick and nippy fish) with plenty of cover for them to feel secure in. Though they're quite diminutive, they're the kind of nano fish that is always active doing something interesting but not in a dartlike manner; rather, they spend their time puttering around. they're not schoolers either, so each has its own individual plan of action to carry out. I think they're much more interesting in that sense than other nanos, as they seem to spend their time curiously exploring rather than in a perpetual state of nervous, twitchy paranoia... now, of course, that can be a good behavior as well, but I feel the behaviour of formosas would much better fit the vibe of this tank. Personally, I think their activities would emulate the swimming pattern and behavior of larger fish that would be found prowling the root systems of overgrown riverbanks with either unbelievable accuracy or a somewhat farcical leer that makes us laugh at ourselves for ever considering the two alike.

then again, I've only seen the thing empty with the beginnings of a bonsai in it so I really can't tell what you have planned!

here's a link to a video (not mine) demonstrating a little of what I was talking about. Planted Native Killifish tank, Heterandria Formosa in HD - YouTube at times they actually remind me a little bit of pea puffers in certain movement-related behavior. (ie, they can swim backwards!) There are two main color morphs, the black barred/striped one (that would be striped and/or barred, they may exhibit only stripes or bands or both) and the 'gold morph', which is pale gold in color and sports little pattern. I hope this helps you decide, and I'll definitely keep an eye on this thread!
Thanks very much! I'm more strongly inclined to use the H. formosa at this point. Since the planting will include the cypress and buttonbush it will be like a Southeast US biotope anyway and this fish will compliment that nicely.

Cypress are pretty hardy trees. I ran into a number of descriptions of using bald cypress as bonsai and they apparently take to pruning and other bonsai training well. I hope I can keep this tree going long-term.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:18 PM   #73
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

I wrote a blog post about this setup. It includes most of the same details that I have already mentioned here. Here is the link if you want to check it out...

http://ripariumsupply.com/?p=901

I still need to set up the tank with substrate, hardscape, fish, a few more plants and a better setting, so the blog post just describes it as a work in progress. I will try to make more headway with it as soon as I can.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:24 PM   #74
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (435/100%)

What a terrific footprint. 20x14 sounds perfect.

All of us lovers of shallow tanks are going to be watching with envy.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:59 AM   #75
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
What a terrific footprint. 20x14 sounds perfect.

All of us lovers of shallow tanks are going to be watching with envy.
I like the shape a lot.

I need to hurry up and set the tank up properly so that I can start adding substrate and everything else.