Modifying Hood
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 05-02-2013, 01:06 AM   #1
JellOh
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Modifying Hood

I'd like to seriously plant my tanks, but the hood I have only takes the short bulbs. Is there anyway I can modify the hood so that I can add long, plant specific bulbs? Also, what bulb would you recommend for a 10 gallon so that it could support a moderate amount of plants?
JellOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2013, 01:22 AM   #2
ckraft
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

You might get some useful ideas from the AH Supply page

http://www.ahsupply.com/36-55w.htm
ckraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:15 AM   #3
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

short bulbs in what? The screw in type? Get 2 13w "daylight" CFL (twisty bulbs) they fit in a 10gal hood and 2 of them, I can grow just aboout anything with them. I have dwarf hair grass in one tank, val's and various plants in my 20gal with 3 CFL bulbs, my shrimp tanks have CFL bulbs over them and my "aquaponic" setup with guppies and then my herbs including chives, cilantro, thyme and jalepeno's has 2x13w CFL's over it.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:15 AM   #4
JellOh
Algae Grower

Those look great GeToChKn. I've seen some with higher wattages; would it be ok to get those, or would it be overkill?
JellOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:10 PM   #5
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellOh View Post
Those look great GeToChKn. I've seen some with higher wattages; would it be ok to get those, or would it be overkill?
I find the in any of the 10gal hoods I have, which is a lot when count all the tanks I have in storage, my roomies tanks, etc, I couldn't fit a 23W bulbs in the 10gal hoods without the bulb being pressed tight against the top of it or bending the bulb a bit and I wasn't comfortable with that. The 13w's fit fine, have a bit of room so they're not touching anything and as I said, 2x13w I can do dwarf hair grass, herbs, vals, about any plant I want. The 10gals aren't that deep. What I did do was get some of that shiny silver heating vent tape and coated the inside behind the lights and all around to give it a better reflection which helps you get the most of the light. I would say 2x23w would start to get you into algae range unless you're going full CO2, etc. I don't do CO2 and with the 2x13w's, I had to trim my lights down my an hour as algae was just starting to set in now and again but it's tuned nicely now. I wouldn't go 23w's over a 10gal.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote