How to add T8 shop light to tank?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 05-01-2013, 11:41 PM   #1
orador223
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

How to add T8 shop light to tank?

I bought this from home depot Lithonia Lighting All Season Shop Light 4 ft. 2 Light T8 Strip Fluorescent-1242ZG RE at The Home Depot

and am using dual 32w 6500k T8's in it. This fixture is intended to replace the current t12 fixture that i have on my 65 gallon because the WPG is way too low. The problem with this is that it's too wide to fit in the spot that I currently have my hood light. I could take the entire hood off and put it on the plastic but I have two worries: 1- the water evaporating into the fixture, 2- the fixture melting through the plastic (I don't know how hot it gets.) I don't want to hang the fixture from the ceiling so that isn't an option. Can anyone give me some advice? Thanks!
orador223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2013, 02:39 PM   #2
Maxspin

PTrader: (0/0%)

T8 & T12 bulbs have the same pin placement. On my tank I replaced the ballast on the existing fixture with a ballast for T8 bulbs. If you were feeling adventurous you could even buy a 4 bulb ballast and overdrive it.
Maxspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:43 PM   #3
TeamKRF
Algae Grower

Uarujoey via YouTube has how to vids on overdriving and mounting tips.
TeamKRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:20 PM   #4
ge2655
Algae Grower

Not meaning to be a wise guy but do yourself a favor and return the fixture you bought and get the diamond plate shoplight for the extra $10.00.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia-...9#.UYPezkq55vY

It is a far superior light, I know because I have both the one you bought and the diamond plate. There is no comparison, the diamond plate has a great reflector.

If you are concerned about moisture, Home Depot also sells a plastic 4 foot lens cover diffuser that can be used to protect the bulbs. You can secure the diffuser to the fixture with a couple of small bungee cords and then sit the fixture on the aquarium.

You can see the rig here:

The diffuser is shown towards the end of the video at the 4:35 mark.

Regards,
-Gary