Black Diamond 20/40 Closeup - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 07-06-2012, 06:12 AM   #16
m00se
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjohn21 View Post
There is metal of some sort in black diamond. If you run a magnet up and down the bag you will hear tiny grains following it...... is it harmful to our fish ? Who knows !

wat

Nonsense. People.. if you haven't got 1st hand experience with this stuff please refrain from FUD. This stuff is silky, not abrasive in any way. Yes it is BLASTING MEDIA but if you know anything about sandblasting you know that this stuff is on the bottom of the aggressive scale for it's purpose. No catfish is going to suffer from it. No iron is going to turn your hands black. There no no OIL in it. It is thoroughly washed before it's bagged. Some particles will tend to float when you put it into water but will settle quickly. If you read the NUMEROUS threads on here you will see that it's an inert sub with no CEC value that is suitable for just about any scape.

It is also NOT the same as Black Beauty. That is a different brand, and not to be confused.

People on the west coast have trouble getting it. You might want to call ATI (1-800-343-0117) and register your thoughts with them.
m00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2013, 10:58 PM   #17
chomper149
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

question regarding the 1st set of pictures, just looking at the first set of pictures you can clearly see a few coal slag rods? that could potentially be spikes? whats everyones opinions on those? are they in every bag and no one has had a problem with them sticking in fish gills or the like?
chomper149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:23 AM   #18
aquarium hippy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Default Black Diamond 20/40 Closeup

I have this stuff in my tank and my horse faced loach sifts it through his gills constantly with no adverse effect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1367281424.116911.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	135258  

Old 05-01-2013, 09:53 AM   #19
chomper149
Algae Grower

and you also have those rod like pieces of the coal slag?
chomper149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:04 PM   #20
aquarium hippy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Default Re: Black Diamond 20/40 Closeup

Yes

Jason
Old 05-01-2013, 03:26 PM   #21
Absntmind
Algae Grower

I purchased a couple bags of this from our local TS with the intent of changing my substrate from play sand. While rinsing I noticed a LOT of the needle like glass pieces of all sizes, some very small. After rinsing for almost an hour and realized I would never get most of it out I decided not to go with it. I researched and read many people use it without issue, though if I'm going to put media in the tank to be used for a length of time (years?) I came to the conclusion that it'd be better to just wait and spend the extra money for something else.

I love the way it looks but seeing as some fish take the substrate into their mouths, even passing it through the gills, I couldn't use it in good conscience. Yet I also understand the quality of this stuff varies from area to area.

Just my .02
Absntmind is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
abrasive, black diamond, gravel, sand, substrate