Ray 2 x2 VS Ray 2 with Monsterray?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 05-01-2013, 08:24 AM   #1
Soup12
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (66/97%)

Ray 2 x2 VS Ray 2 with Monsterray?

Not sure what I want on top of my acrylic 120g fat boy 48x24x24.

WHat kind of light would 2 ray 2's be? medium/high?

What about a ray 2 with monster ray? better for red plants and my discus? low light?

Name pros and cons please!
Soup12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2013, 01:00 PM   #2
Bryk
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

I can't see how two Ray 2s wouldn't be high light, especially the 48 inch version.
Bryk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2013, 01:59 PM   #3
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (177/100%)

I have both fixtures and would suggest diversity would trump intensity for a single spectrum any day. A ray 2 would be considered medium to high light so the supplementing of a monsterray would definitely add color to a high light environment.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:12 PM   #4
Soup12
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
I have both fixtures and would suggest diversity would trump intensity for a single spectrum any day. A ray 2 would be considered medium to high light so the supplementing of a monsterray would definitely add color to a high light environment.
Even on a fatboy 1 ray2 medium to high?
Old 05-01-2013, 02:48 PM   #5
xiaoxiy
Planted Member

1x 48'' Ray II runs 43-50 PAR at 24 inches. Under Hoppy's PAR chart, we could consider that medium light. Two Ray IIs would put you under high light. I'm not sure, however, what the monster ray PAR values are.
xiaoxiy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2013, 02:50 PM   #6
Bryk
Planted Member

This is in my opinion the biggest issue with a single light versus having dual lights.

Having the ray 2 and a monster ray both centered (front to back) and across the tank will give high light straight below. However the fronts, especially the corners will really suffer.

Now with going 2 ray 2s, you lose the red light, and even if you split them instead of center grouping(obviously recommended) then the middle of the tank, especially the center middle will have extremely high light.

I hate the look of it, but I understand why people get extremely high light and hang it above the tank, but I really really hate the look and bleeding of the light that this causes.

Finnex claims a 120 degree light angle, but regardless of the angle, you will always have the strongest light directly below.

Sadly I hate to really say it, but your ideal setup may actually be either a buildmyled(and hang it). Or go a 3 light route with 2 48inch fugerays and 1 monster ray. That way you could have a fuge 3/4ths of the way towards the back across, the monster ray in the middle, and another fugeray across at 1/4th of the width towards the back.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:59 PM   #7
Soup12
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiaoxiy View Post
1x 48'' Ray II runs 43-50 PAR at 24 inches. Under Hoppy's PAR chart, we could consider that medium light. Two Ray IIs would put you under high light. I'm not sure, however, what the monster ray PAR values are.
it covers 24" width or 24" height?
Old 05-01-2013, 03:23 PM   #8
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (177/100%)

^height.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:24 PM   #9
Bryk
Planted Member

Chart is here:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=189944
&highlight=Finnex+FugeRay+red

24" height is 50 par, at 24" height, 9 inches away from directly below is 43 par.

How many plants are you looking at having? Where do you want to put your red plants?

If you were looking to do low light plants in the front of the tank, and medium in the middle/back you could probably get away with just a ray 2 and monster and have them 2/3rd of the way towards the back.

I have a 30 inch ray 2 on my 37 gallon which is 24 inches deep, along with an aqueon modular with 3 bulbs(2 colormax for the red), and my Alternanthera reineckii roseafolia has a good red color.

However with just my fugeray 36 inch in my 46 gallon (along with a flora spec T8) my luwidgia is all green.

I'm stuck in a similar situation with the 46 as I want my plants to be red, but I think it is pretty silly to have to spend an insane amount on either the new current sat freshwater or the monsterray.

If Finnex's new ray that is supposedly coming out in 3-4 months can't do both then I'll probably end up going with buildmyleds for my 46 and move the fugeray over to a 40B that I am setting up as a cichlid tank (with only java fern, etc).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.