Jiinx's 79 G Planted Garden - updated july 28! - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-05-2013, 03:18 AM   #16
Jiinx
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)

Chris, thank you for checking out the thread! Thank you for the kind words. I have to admit, I do not want to do chemical warfare again. I just don't have the heart to do it again. I have some bba on a few leaves and some driftwood at the top, but I think spot dosing Should do the trick!

Hey don! Where have you been? I've been drooling over your tank. I miss your updates!
Thank you. I'll move them..where I had them before, their beauty was hidden. Hmm will have a think. Silly pantanals are one of my most sensitive plants and aren't growing well at times. I'll bunch them up!

Hi David! I haven't heard that zebras are sensitive, but I have heard that Otos in general are sensitive and die quickly once introduced to the tank. I bought them from a small shop in Toronto where they get acclimatized quite well. I've had them for quite a few months and they're just fantastic. No issues yet really...
Jiinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2013, 01:57 AM   #17
Jiinx
Algae Grower

Hello!
Just a small update

I got my root tabs from hydrophyte! I love these.

I also installed a GLA diffuser to replace the one I got from Hong Kong. The difference was astounding. I halved my bps and the mist was so fine. I love it. I saw pearling that I've never seen before!

Took out the MM and replanted. I got a bit impatient and just clumped them again but it looks a bit better

FTS

I don't know to make my tank look a bit more cleaner. I'm wondering if I should get rid of the hygro difformis in the back..still thinking

thanks for looking!

sarah

Last edited by Jiinx; 03-10-2013 at 04:09 AM.. Reason: added photo
Old 04-23-2013, 03:18 AM   #18
Jiinx
Algae Grower

Hi all!
I got some plants from jojo and decided to update

I'm clearing the ET out and replacing it with s. repens, downoi and mm.

I'm hoping to add 20 or so amanos to my tank. I saw a female berried last night so I snapped a photo. I wish I could have little amano babies that could make it in my tank!

The latest addition - checkerboards!

Quick blurry photo!

thanks for looking!
Old 04-24-2013, 02:49 AM   #19
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to crazydaz

What did you get from Jojo??

You'll love the Checkerboards! Everyone that I know who has kept them ends up loving them!

You've done a great job overall. This tank is jam-packed with different colors and textures, and the plants really do look lush, healthy, and happy. The driftwood does a fantastic job at complimenting the scape, yet provides some unique lines for the eyes to follow....has the effect of leading your eyes from one part of the tank to another part of the tank.

Everything looks like it's filling in really well, too! That Hygro patch in the middle is pretty amazing! I know that isn't a fast grower, so that a pretty good accomplishment to keep it looking nice. Good job Sarah!
Old 04-25-2013, 07:09 PM   #20
Jiinx
Algae Grower

Don, thank you kindly for your thoughtful words!

I got ludwigia inclinata, ranunculus inundatus and Erio type 2..not an Erio fan but nice to try out!

The hygro araguaia and the grass in the back left are the only ones that survived through my initial planted tank days without proper co2! Hygros are so resilient! And then your plants pulled through and grew once I gave them proper lights!!

Checkerboards are great! So inquisitive and friendly! They don't want to breed anymore! I saw a female clutching a bag of eggs in her mouth but nothing has come of that!

I may get rid of the hygro brown..it doesn't bunch very well. I'm not sure..I have a lot of hygros in my tank that I'm on the fence about keeping or losing.

Thanks for taking a peek everyone!
Sarah
Old 04-25-2013, 11:56 PM   #21
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

You'll like the Ranunuculus....it's a very pretty plant, especially in brightly lit tanks where it will stay relatively small in height, and it will look great in your tank! It can get a little weedy after it gets established, but it isn't too bad to keep in check.

Be care getting rid of that Hygro brown....I would only do it after the Ludwigia inclinata starts showing that it will grow well in your system. You need to replace one fast grower with another, unless you think you have the algae conquered. Better to slowly reduce the stem numbers over the course of about two weeks so you can see what will happen to the rest of the tank.

What else are you thinking about perhaps getting rid of?

Also, would you mind taking some more pics, please? I love the whole tank shot, but it's hard to see everything that's in there. Thank you!
Old 04-26-2013, 12:45 AM   #22
meppitech
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Very nice tank. Minus the BBA, your beginning shots look like my tank is starting off. Care to share what changes you made besides raising your lights? Im gonna try that out first by the way.
meppitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:06 AM   #23
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

Oh....everyone has SOME sort of algae at some point meppitech. It depends somewhat on what "stage" the tank is at, and if you don't have it yet, you will.

Last edited by crazydaz; 04-26-2013 at 02:08 AM.. Reason: !
crazydaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:27 AM   #24
Jiinx
Algae Grower

meppitech, I think the biggest changes for me, besides the light and height of the light, was flow and pump up my co2. I did so many things over the course of a couple of months that I wish I knew what it was.

I also became more diligent with vacuuming the substrate and the extra mulm.

It's so frustrating. I did not enjoy my tank and felt this heavy weight on my shoulder each day because of the algae!!
Old 04-30-2013, 11:34 AM   #25
Jiinx
Algae Grower

More photos!

I've removed all the ET and replaced it with Downoi on the left side and s. repens and ranunculus inundatus on the right.

My checkerboards follow me around the tank and happen to be in almost every photo. They're definitely not camera shy!

here's a photo of the ranunculus inudatus..

My humble s. repens..still has a ways to go..

I'm devastated that my GBRs died (I caused an ammonia spike with movement of plants) and replaced them. They're not as vibrant and I still miss my old ones

my Checkies! the male was wagging his fin while I snapped the photo..wonder if she's interested

My female poking around the a. variegated

FTS!

I want to add another slow growing red plant on the bottom right of the tank. I've been bugging Nick (Udgags) for his mini alternantherna but it may be some time until that's ready.

Anyone know what this plant is? I think it's ammania graccilis but it could be nesaea crassicaulis? Why are the top leaves pink and the bottom leaves curl up and get flattened and look awful?

Don, I'm not sure what the replace the hygro with. It's very weedy and grows tall quickly. Any suggestions? I find that side of the tank not very attractive! I just threw together some ludwigia unknown, ammania graccilis and hygro there!

Thanks for looking everyone! I'd love to hear negative or positive feedback! Or share your foreground red plants!
Old 05-01-2013, 12:17 PM   #26
VJM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

I am in love with your A. variegated, but try as I might, I can't seem to find the whole name for it.

Would you mind telling me what it is? I have got to get some.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:44 PM   #27
Aniplanter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Amazing tank!

How long did it take you to get that a. variegated to the bright pink that it is now?
Aniplanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:22 PM   #28
goodeye--sniper
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

What a stunning tank! And such beautiful fish as well. Good job
Old 05-02-2013, 06:49 PM   #29
Jiinx
Algae Grower

VJM - it is called alternanthera sp. variegated! I was much like you and fell in love with it. I saw it first in crazydaz's (don) tank last year. It really is stunning.

Aniplaner - it comes pink! I don't have to do anything! If anything it got a little less pink in my tank from the tank it came from!

Thank you so much goodeye, I'm so pleased you like it and it means a lot to me!

thank you for stopping in!
sarah
Old 05-03-2013, 01:09 PM   #30
Bl00dworm
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Jiinx's 79 G Planted Garden

This tank is great... makes me want to consider high tech with such diverse coloration in your plants. Inspiring to see your journey and due reward after some perseverance! Great job!!