cherry shrimp dieing?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 04-29-2013, 06:18 AM   #1
Kyronami
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

cherry shrimp dieing?

It was a little cold when I got my shrimp in the mail, two of the 10 I ordered didn't make the journey,

I figured they would be fine after they get into warmer waters, so over an hour I did the suggested acclimation of slowly adding tank water to their bag and then finally scooping them up with a net and putting them into my tank.

So I put the 8 cherry shrimp into my tank about 3 days ago and I've already lost two more of them... Could this be because of the original coldness of the water days ago? or something wrong with my tank? When I first put them in they were all swimming around happily, now they just kinda hang out on my sponge filter or a plant and don't swim around much..

Not that I mind if thats how they are supposed to act, im just worried something might be wrong with my little shrimps. One of them turned up dead after about 24 hours, and I found another one dead today

Water params (just tested today)

Temp 78-80f
PH 7.8
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 40ppm - Honestly the colors for 40 and 80 look the same to me... I couldn't tell which one it was, this was the only thing I saw that could be wrong but I'm not actually sure if its 40 or 80 on the chart..
Kyronami is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2013, 06:22 AM   #2
chou
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

nitrates are high. do a w/c and lower the temps to 68-76
Old 04-29-2013, 06:25 AM   #3
Kyronami
Algae Grower

what % wc would you suggest? and how often?
Old 04-29-2013, 06:37 AM   #4
merritt1985
Planted Member

i'd do 20% a day till you get to around 10 ppm. wouldn't want to shock the little critters again. You might want to check your tap water if it is 80ppm. How long has your tank been set up and do you keep other live stock in there? Is your tank planted?
merritt1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:43 AM   #5
Kyronami
Algae Grower

I used distilled water for my tank, its been up for about a month.. I did a fishless cycle.

No other stock in the tank besides the shrimp, and yes its moderately planted (10gal)
Old 04-29-2013, 06:50 AM   #6
merritt1985
Planted Member

Did you add any minerals back into the water before adding the shrimp? Distilled water doesn't contain any of the trace minerals that shrimp need be healthy. Most of the time tap water is just fine for cherries(unless you have very hard or soft water). What is your ph gh and kh at?
merritt1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:55 AM   #7
Kyronami
Algae Grower

im using a substrate which is supposed to contain all the trace minerals for healthy fish and plants.

my ph is 7.8, i dont know what my kh and gh are
Old 04-29-2013, 08:25 AM   #8
jasb
Algae Grower

i brought just over 100, by the time i got home 60 odd were dead, over the next few days a lot more died, felt really bad. Of the ones that made it they are really happy and are breeding like crazy, hope all goes well
jasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:41 AM   #9
Jadenlea
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

that doesn't make sense. 8 shrimp wouldn't bring you to 40-80 Nitrates in 3 days.
Jadenlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:18 AM   #10
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

im betting the cycle was not 100% done and shrimp can die for up to a couple weeks after being shipped due to stress from it. what substrate are you using? you really need to know what your ph,gh,kh,and tds are if you want to keep shrimp with good success. cherrys dont need it as much as other types of shrimp but its always good to know. and nitrates are a big shrimp death factor get some floaters like frogbit, duck weed (i hate it cause its hard to get rid of but does a good job) and horn wort. they suck up alot of nitrates from the water
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:20 PM   #11
Kyronami
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicca27 View Post
im betting the cycle was not 100% done and shrimp can die for up to a couple weeks after being shipped due to stress from it. what substrate are you using? you really need to know what your ph,gh,kh,and tds are if you want to keep shrimp with good success. cherrys dont need it as much as other types of shrimp but its always good to know. and nitrates are a big shrimp death factor get some floaters like frogbit, duck weed (i hate it cause its hard to get rid of but does a good job) and horn wort. they suck up alot of nitrates from the water
This is what im using
Amazon.com: CaribSea Eco-Complete 20-Pound Planted Aquarium, Black: Pet Supplies Amazon.com: CaribSea Eco-Complete 20-Pound Planted Aquarium, Black: Pet Supplies

I will look into those plants, until then Im gonna start doing the water changes daily I guess.

The other 6 are still alive, although I noticed alot of them have molted, not sure if this is good or bad
Old 04-30-2013, 05:27 AM   #12
82nd_Airborne
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

If i read your posts correctly, you are relying on you're substrate to remineralize your distilled water. Eco-complete will not bring your gh and kh up. It is referring to other minerals. You need a remineralizer. No gh or kh, along with your nitrates is the problem.
82nd_Airborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:27 AM   #13
Kyronami
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82nd_Airborne View Post
If i read your posts correctly, you are relying on you're substrate to remineralize your distilled water. Eco-complete will not bring your gh and kh up. It is referring to other minerals. You need a remineralizer. No gh or kh, along with your nitrates is the problem.
Hmm ok, the substrate said to use distilled water with it.. thats why I did.

If I start using treated tap water for my water changes will it help?
Old 04-30-2013, 10:01 PM   #14
82nd_Airborne
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Yes, using a mixture of tap and distilled water will raise gh, but also kh. Kh is ideally kept at 0, while gh for cherries at 6 dgh. Really, until you have a test kit for both, you'll just be guessing, but I'd try 50/50 mix of tap and distilled until you can get those kits.

Shrimp, even cherries, are much more picky about water parameters than fish. The best purchase you can make for that tank are those 2 test kits.
82nd_Airborne is offline   Reply With Quote