My First 20L
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 04-30-2013, 03:20 AM   #1
drewsuf82
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)

My First 20L

So after seeing so many awesome 20L on here I've been going insane wanting one. So I bided my time for petco to come along and give me a sale and the sale happened BANG! I've got a 20L

I haven't officially moved the tank inside yet, but I thought that I would get some pictures up. I want this to be a super early start journal so I can watch everything and maybe learn from all of the awesome experience on here.

The tank still sits in the car...I've been busy with finals and all that great stuff and trying to write some papers (taking a break from them right now to start this journal)

I got a deal that I couldn't refuse on FloraMax (which I've been using in other shrimp tanks. I'm not sure the amount of rooted plants I will be using but this substrate seems to work out for my corkscrews and such in my other tanks coupled with root tabs so yea...

Collected some things that I will be needing here very soon

I got a really good deal on some Riccia so I ordered it...it will kinda press me to get this going...WOW this stuff is great looking!

And I got some wood from an awesome RAOK -- It's a lot for a 20L so I will be cutting it and redistributing the love once I get placement and such figured out -- MAN I love doing RAOKS

-----------------------------------------

That's it for the pictures for now...so here's the plans....so far
  • De-rimming the top rim from the 20L
  • Cutting the Wood
  • Buying some type of stand / deciding if I want to use the breakfast bar that can't really be used for breakfast as a tank stand...(although I'm thinking with a stand I can go canister filter)
Things I'm still finalizing for purchase
  • Light
  • Co2 setup (paintball or regular, I guess it depends on the stand situation)
  • Lights
  • Filtration (again dependent on the stand/breakfast bar question)
  • Other plants for the tank (I really wanna put some moss in there with the Riccia with what I have planned)
  • Still trying to decide cardinal tetras or yellow shrimp for livestock
------------

Anyone know how long I can leave Riccia in that container while I get this rollin? I've got some of the larger kind floating around a tank but that is active with shrimp, filtration, etc

I've been looking at a lot of threads so far on de-rimming and any other tips would be greatly welcomed

Thanks for lookin and your suggestions are always welcome!!!!!
drewsuf82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2013, 02:57 PM   #2
Pablom
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Looks like it will be a cool build, good luck.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:44 PM   #3
drewsuf82
Wannabe Guru

Thanks! I've got a few more shots, I have the tank where I kinda want to put it....

Almost a PERFECT fit

But I want to go rimless with this and hindsight is 20/20 I should of checked the inner upper corner seals. Looks like I will have to do some corner seal work if I want to keep this as a rimless....

I'm contemplating hitting up petco and seeing if they have some with a better inner upper corner seal job, there's only one here where I wouldn't have to reseal the corner if I remove this rim

------

I've decided to do a water test on this tank if It's sound I will figure out if I will go through with the de-rimming or not

Last edited by drewsuf82; 05-01-2013 at 03:58 AM.. Reason: ---
Old 05-02-2013, 03:59 PM   #4
drewsuf82
Wannabe Guru

I've decided to leave the rim on the tank due to the location that it will be in (pictures soon) I just don't want to run the risk of the cats possibly cutting their paws on it, if it had a dedicated stand that the cats couldn't get up on I would pull off the rim.

I've got some things which are in shipment and should be arriving Saturday so I can start the cycle process. I've only got 1,000-1,200 more words to write for the spring semester and then I am FREE MWAHAHAHAHA

Be looking for a potential update tonight! I know that I have to do some stopping on the way home tonight to pick up a few more things for the tank... I should have the light coming in today too (I didn't go all out with the light, looking for something that will keep this pretty low tech since I'm planning on shrimps)
Old 05-02-2013, 05:40 PM   #5
AguaTropical
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

I'm looking forward to seeing this tank develop! Are you still going to use the breakfast bar? I really like the idea of it because you could scape it to where it is visually appealing from both sides, but it may also be hard hiding the cords and such.

20L Rimless
40G Breeder Tank
AguaTropical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:00 PM   #6
drewsuf82
Wannabe Guru

Hey Aqua!

Yea I am still planning on using the breakfast bar which is why for now I have to leave the tank rimless until I see what the cat's interest level is going to be. I won't be putting any livestock in for a while and I don't mind waiting while it cycles up to tear it down and rework it to take the rim off...it all just depends on the cats I guess...they do like to come up onto my 55 every now and then to investigate so I just want to make sure
Old 05-03-2013, 03:23 PM   #7
drewsuf82
Wannabe Guru

Sponge filters came in today...messing around with initial placement

Old 05-04-2013, 06:42 AM   #8
drewsuf82
Wannabe Guru

Default Inital Setup

Big Update Time!!!!!!

So yea, I got a little bit of time and I went to work tonight. It was driving me mad and I was worried about my riccia dying some of it started to, so I HAD to get to work...I hate seeing plants that aren't healthy

Anyway.....

After my initial setup I tweaked it a bit to try to avoid so much splash on the light so I lowered it a bit as you can see here...all rinsed and the initial few drops are in there

A rear view pre-airline running, notice the black cable on the left, that's for my in tank thermometer

A general idea in case I have airline issues (which I did I needed to put in a pressure dial in the middle line) Left, Middle, Right, Airline

Airline work made neater, still not sure how I'm going to hide this on this side

Front view of the hoses, almost hidden, notice the line for the sensor is tucked behind so if I have to change out equipment tubes for any reason I won't have to pull the thermometer

Man I forgot how dirty Floramax is.....

Burying the sensor

Base layer down, next up rock work

Placing sponges at substrate level

Creating a cave for planned bristlenoses

Using other rocks to support the cave on both sides to prevent movement of the walls

Back of cave support

Living room to kitchen view

Kitchen to living room....a breakfast bar well used

Thanks for dropping by for the big update Any comments/suggestions are welcomed...I know I want to add a few more plants, trying to find a short height runner style plant if you guys have any suggestions I'd love to hear them
Old 05-09-2013, 04:16 AM   #9
drewsuf82
Wannabe Guru

Still cycling on this tank, I'll get some pictures soon. The Riccia that I ordered as a mat has really taken off glad I ordered as much as I did....

Looking for plant suggestions that will be low height growing plants, shrimp friendly, and low-medium light friendly with no co2

Any suggestions are very appreciated and as always thanks for stopping by!
Old 05-09-2013, 04:13 PM   #10
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Nice startup, I like the pleco cave!

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:34 PM   #11
Clemsons2k
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Man thats one heck of a sponge filter wall! haha

Looks good so far.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:49 AM   #12
drewsuf82
Wannabe Guru

Checked tonight, still cycling
Old 05-24-2013, 06:16 AM   #13
drewsuf82
Wannabe Guru

Having a small issue with hair algae not sure where it's coming from...levels show that I'm close to ending the cycle process though
Old 05-28-2013, 06:27 AM   #14
drewsuf82
Wannabe Guru

Treated the algae and it's now white...looks like levels are leveling out as well Almost ready to add a few more plants and start seeding some snails
Old 05-28-2013, 06:31 AM   #15
Bserve
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Cool pleco cave but isnt it a bit small?
Bserve is offline   Reply With Quote