Adding more substrate
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-31-2003, 06:32 AM   #1
chippy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

When I setup my 75 gal tank 3 years ago, I did not put enough amount, which I learned later from the various sources, at least 3 inches of depth needed. I planted water sprite and wisteria but they did not grow tall as I expected although I use 50% Flourite (mixed with other substrate). The height of tank is 18" but the plants I have now never grow more than 10 inches. I use Whisper 5 outside filter, no CO2, water change 20-30% per week. I keep many guppies and a few cori cats. My question here is whether or not if it will be possible adding more substrate to make up the required depth, which may affect the growth of the plants. I am fairely beginner for the planted tank and all other people here are very experienced so I wanted to obtain some advises. I have been tempted to redo my tank from scratch (I don't know what I would do with my lovely guppies though). My intention sounds really stupid but if somebody can give me a good advise, I will appreciate your opinion or instruction. Thanks.
chippy is offline   Reply With Quote

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.